• Dermot Griffin
    “Chivalry is a flower no less indigenous to the soil of Japan than its emblem, the cherry blossom; nor is it a dried up specimen of an antique virtue preserved in the herbarium of our history. It is still a living object of power and beauty among us; and if it assumes no tangible shape or form, it is not the less scents the moral atmosphere, and makes us aware that we are still under it’s potent spell. The conditions of society which brought it forth and nourished it have long disappeared; but as those far off stars which once were and are not, still continue to shine there rays upon us, so the light of chivalry, which was a child of feudalism, still illuminates our moral path, surviving its mother institution.” - Inazo Nitobe, Bushido: The Soul of Japan

“The Way of the Warrior is found in death. When it comes to either/or, there is only the quick choice of death. It is not particularly difficult. Be determined and advance. To say that dying without reaching one's aim is to die a dog's death is the frivolous way of sophisticates. When pressed with the choice of life or death, it is not necessary to gain one's aim. We all want to live. And in large part we make our logic according to what we like. But not having attained our aim and continuing to live is cowardice. This is a thin dangerous line. To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism. But there is no shame in this. This is the substance of the Way of the Warrior. If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life will be without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.” - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, Hagakure

“You could leave life right now. Let that determine what you do and say and think.” Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Can chivalry and virtue make a comeback in today’s world or is it truly dead? I for one think virtue ethics is the most applicable form of ethics but the Kantian model is also rational. Would a revival of Bushido and Stoicism teach the youth of today how to keep a stiff upper lip?

• Paine

It seems to me that one of the points made in the Bushido culture is that accepting death is not just a matter of being willing to check out if events require it but that you come into a different kind of mind that is important to use while you have it.
  • javi2541997

Completely yes. Bushido culture is not well known as much as Japanese culture itself. In my own consideration I think it would be worthy to teach both Bushido and Stoicism. But, being honest with you, I do not really know how effective these could be among modern ethics. We live in a violent world and it seems we are somehow losing the humanism.
    Conclusion: A comeback of these disciplines could be worthy but I still defend we have to reorganise the education and society from the beginning
  • unenlightened
    To die without gaining one's aim is a dog's death and fanaticism.Dermot Griffin

On the one hand, dogs are noble, brave and loyal, but on the other, fanaticism is rather disparaged these days. This is because science has multiplied the power of the human to previously unimaginable heights. Thus the fanatic, blowing himself up on a plane, or some such, has become very much a rabid dog, dangerous and out of control, and in need of immediate shooting. The days when a warrior needed long and arduous training and discipline to be much danger to others are long gone - any idiot in a car can be a suicidal serial killer, and there is nothing admirable about it.
  • JerommeAccepted Answer
    Transcendental reduction in optima forma. Hagakure with perfume:

"There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. But doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses, you still get wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will still get the same soaking. This understanding extends to everything."

How about that?
  • Dermot Griffin

There is nothing like the Hagakure.
  • Dermot Griffin

Very true. I like to think that Yamamoto is probably one of the most influential figures of Bushido other than Miyamoto Musashi.
  • Ciceronianus

Sorry, but when I see "View Answer" I'm too much reminded of advertising. I decline to do so.

I don't think a Stoic would consider Stoicism "The way of the warrior, " however. I know some think it to be that, or similar to it, but then some people think of Stoicism as a way to be a successful entrepreneur. These sad days, there are people who look to Marcus Aurelius like people used to look to Dale Carnegie.
  • baker
    Can chivalry and virtue make a comeback in today’s world or is it truly dead?Dermot Griffin

They are about as realistic as

legoo.jpg

And fictional ideals is probably all that Stoicism and Bushido ever were anyway.
  • Ciceronianus
    And fictional ideals is probably all that Stoicism and Bushido ever were anyway.baker

What would be a non-fictional ideal?
  • Agent Smith
    What's the difference between bushido and suicide? Nippon has a suicide culture I heard.

Courage, the cowardly dog.

• praxis
    Would a revival of Bushido and Stoicism teach the youth of today how to keep a stiff upper lip?Dermot Griffin

A curious pairing. If a stiff upper lip is the goal then Bushido may be the better choice. I don’t think the world is in need of more stiff lips though. Human kind is definitely in need of greater well-being.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment