• TiredThinker
    Isn't there a branch of philosophy concerned with ignorance and what we don't actually know? Epistemology covers knowledge, but what covers the stuff we tend to just assume we know, but in fact don't?
  • god must be atheist
    Oh, yes. There are entire libraries filled with books on the philosophy of the unknown. We just haven't located those libraries yet.
  • god must be atheist
    there are libraries full of books on reincarnation, Buddhism, Judaism, Sadism, Christianity, Voodoo, The Illiterati, Hubbardism, Scientology, MORALS AND ETHICS!!!!, What Pleases God, How you must worship god, etc. etc.

I don't know what you are griping about.
  • Jack Cummins

I am wondering if you are thinking of the paranormal, which is often shelved next to philosophy in libraries. Of course, there is parapsychology as a branch within psychology. But, the unknown is often is at the edges in between the disciplines as the unknown variable which is hard to classify and put into a box.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    a branch of philosophy concerned with ignorance and what we don't actually know? Epistemology covers knowledge, but what covers the stuff we tend to just assume we know, but in fact don't?
    3h
    TiredThinker

You might have a look at Sextus Empiricus and the ancient skeptics, if you haven't yet. Their work is free online somewhere, I'm sure.
  • Joshs
    You could try Graham Harman’s Object Oriented Ontology(ooo).
    https://youtu.be/cR1A4ILPmjE
  • Heracloitus
    Look into advaita vedanta.
  • 180 Proof
    Epistemology covers knowledge, but what covers the stuff we tend to just assume we know, but in fact don't?TiredThinker
    Dialectics or (Pyrrhonian) skepticism targets 'illusions of knowledge' (i.e. believing we know what we don't know or cannot be known) – one's ignorance of one's own ignorance. Re: Socrates (early dialogues), Pyrrho, Sextus Empiricus ... Montaigne, Hume, Peirce-Dewey, Witty, S. Haack, N.N.Taleb, G. Gigerenzer, D. Kahneman ...
  • jgill
    I rather like the idea of philosophy of a topic one is unaware of. So what would be step one?
  • TiredThinker

I mean ignorance. Where we assume too much about what we know. I could of swore I saw a philosopher on TV mentioning a discipline about the limitations of what we know.
  • Jack Cummins

At first, when I saw your word agnotology I thought that you had made it up. But, I pressed on the word and saw that exist. So, I have learned something new.
  • Agent Smith
    :up:

There's also agnoiology.

I don't wanna remember nothing, nothing! You understand? — Cypher
  • Agent Smith
    Dialectics or (Pyrrhonian) skepticism target 'illusions of knowledge' (i.e. believing we know what we don't know or cannot be known) – one's ignorance of one's own ignorance. Re: Socrates (early dialogues), Pyrrho, Sextus Empiricus ... Montaigne, Hume, Peirce-Dewey, Witty, S. Haack, N.N.Taleb, G. Gigerenzer, D. Kahneman ...180 Proof

You da man! :clap:
  • Agent Smith
    JTB definition of knowledge:

S knows P iff

1. S believes P
    2. P is true
    3. P is justified

There's no knowledge or ignorance reigns supreme if

1. S doesn't exist (life)

or/and

2. Propositions can't be formed (language)

or/and

3. Justification is inadequate/impossible/flawed (logic)
  • 180 Proof
    I don't wanna remember nothing, nothing! You understand? — CypherAgent Smith
    Yeah, we (akratic) higher primates are just (sleepwalking junkie) slaves to that damned – damning – mesolimbic dopamine pathway. :sweat:

:cool:
  • Ciceronianus
    Isn't there a branch of philosophy concerned with ignorance and what we don't actually know?TiredThinker

There are enough philosophers who pontificate regarding Nothing to make up a school if not a branch. Will that do? Let's call it "Noughtism" or "Nought-ism" the study of that which isn't (I don't think "nihilism" works). We're forever ignorant of what is not.
  • Agent Smith
    Yeah, we (akratic) higher primates are just (sleepwalking junkie) slaves to that damned – damning – mesolimbic dopamine pathway. :sweat:180 Proof

:lol:
  • TiredThinker

I don't think so. Not something designed to deceive.
  • Gnomon
    Isn't there a branch of philosophy concerned with ignorance and what we don't actually know? Epistemology covers knowledge, but what covers the stuff we tend to just assume we know, but in fact don't?TiredThinker
    I don't know. It's a mystery to me. :smile:

Ignorance is the not knowing that opens us up to philosophical wonder, to scientific discovery, to human wisdom."
    https://ignorance.medicine.arizona.edu/about-us/what-ignorance

“The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.”
    ― Albert Einstein, The World As I See It

Typically, mystery does not receive much attention in philosophy. Although Heidegger and other key philosophers have made a place for mystery in philosophy, ...
    https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780739134344/Mystery-in-Philosophy-An-Invocation-of-Pseudo-Dionysius
  • Agent Smith
    Unknowns (kind courtesy of Joesph Luft, Harrington Ingham, Donald Rumsfeld, & Meno)

1. Known unknowns (do aliens exist?)
    2. Unknown knowns (Forgotten knowledge. What was the color of Aristotle's hair?)
    3. Unknown unknowns ( :zip: )

Each category of unknowns might deserve separate treatment (definition refinement, methodological differences, and so on)

Re: Meno's paradox
  • jgill
    3. Unknown unknowns ( :zip: )

Each category of unknowns might deserve separate treatment
    Agent Smith

I find 3. particularly appealing. What might be the first step along this path?
  • Agent Smith
    I find 3. particularly appealing. What might be the first step along this path?jgill

I haven't the foggiest.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet