• Shawn
    I'm reading a book On Desire: Why We Want What We Want: Irvine, William B.

In it the author perhaps addresses the most important question one can face, at least in the eyes of Buddhism, Christianity, and philosophy - being the issue of which or what amount of 'desire' is tolerable or even accommodating towards a happy life. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone; but, it concludes (quite simply) with the issue of content'ness and satisfaction. Thus, what seems that desire demands according to Buddhism and its extinguishing being Nirvana or enlightenment is paramount to a happy life. With respect to Christianity the author concludes that there are certain desires that are preferred rather than others. Avarice, pride, wrath, lust are not desirable - whereas, humility, piety, and faith are proffered.

Without going into too much detail of what philosophers had to say about desire, I believe it is one of the most important questions that any being can encounter. As a personal preference, I believe that Stoicism has addressed the issue of unrestrained needs or wants (synonyms of 'desire') and what issues it can entail on our lives through trying to not live in accordance with Nature or in wanting to control things out of one's control. Aristotle thought that everything should be taken in moderation, etc.

The book doesn't prescribe a method to reach contentness or satisfaction; but, speaks about the hedonic treadmill that people get on to 'want' more things. The enormity of the issue is apparent when one encounters spending too much time in from of one's phone, online, or engaging in behaviors that aren't healthy towards trying to becoming content and satisfied with one's life.

Therefore, I ask the reader what do they think is the notion of being content? How does one achieve it, and if you disagree with the above, then why so?

By the way, the book is worth a read.
  • Tom Storm
    Interesting subject. I have always thought that what makes people content depends upon how restless or vulnerable they are to start with. Based on personal observation a lot of chasing after things, status or higher consciousness seem to be compensatory strategies - attempts to fill holes or put out fires. I generally think if you chasing after contentment or happiness they will remain elusive. For me it's found in quiet and not thinking too much about myself.
  • Tim3003
    I think that for many people contentedness comes with age. As you experience more you realise your own limitations and adapt to live within them and stop pushing yourself to do more, go further. So you could say contentedness is the product of a life spent willingly doing things you can do, rather than those you can't or struggle to do with the competence you desire. 'Desire' is always for something you haven't got. If you've got all you need it vanishes, as does the dissatisfaction of 'failing'..
  • Agent Smith
    Quite clearly something has been lost in translation. That's the only explanation that fits, makes sense.
  • Deleted User
    Therefore, I ask the reader what do they think is the notion of being content? How does one achieve it, and if you disagree with the above, then why so?Shawn

Great topic, Shawn. First let's define terms. Content: in a state of peaceful happiness, a state of satisfaction.

Now that we have a clear working understanding of the term, the questions are: how do we achieve it, why is important?

We achieve it through a number of means. Goal accomplishment (very important), interpersonal harmony, sexual fulfillment, education, meeting basic needs, strengthening our bodies, advancing in our careers, and very importantly having children. Before we get to the second question, it may prudent to ask: are any of the things listed above not conducive to individual and societal flourishing? If it is an imperative of your nature to live on the planet, then it seems that those characteristics that define what human life can be and in its most potent state are the pinnacle of action. All of which is basically encapsulated by the above list and produce contentment, especially when combining them.

Why is it important? You wouldn't be asking the question if it weren't. There is another biological imperative which is the opposite of contentment, that being dissatisfaction as a state of being. The nature of the state of dissatisfaction is one laid down by 300 mill years of evolutionary psychology. It is intrinsic to one's nature to not be at peace in dissatisfaction, thus it is important simply from a naturalistic perspective. Just as eyesight is important, your body screams at you to remove debris from your eye when it gets trapped, it is imperative that you have them for continued use, so that you may do the things listed above, at least from a biological perspective. And just as eyesight is protected in such a manner, so too does your body scream out to you (dissatisfaction) when you are not fulfilling the actions requisite to achieving contentment.

As far as how it is individually achieved, that is up to you. Why it is individually important, you must decide. But, remember that the rational side of you is meant to assess the natural aspects of both your being, which governs states such as contentment, as well as the threats thwt the world poses against such a state.
  • Down The Rabbit Hole

The science is in favour of a 'flow' state.

This is where we take on a challenge that is just about achievable. Conversely, if the challenge is too difficult we experience anxiety, and too easy we experience boredom.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.