• Deleted User
    Hello all,

Hope this finds you well. Recently I ventured back into Plato's Dialogues and rediscovered bk.8 of The Republic. In this book, Socrates details the procession of tyranny by describing each stage, or "unjust regime," all of which being a known societal model during the time of authorship. The procession is as follows, according to Socrates:

1. The first deviant regime from just kingship or aristocracy will be timocracy, that emphasizes the pursuit of honor rather than wisdom and justice. The timocratic individual will have a strong spirited part in his soul and will pursue honor, power, and success. This city will be militaristic. The timocratic individual’s soul is at a middle point between reason and spirit.

2. Oligarchy arises out of timocracy and it emphasizes wealth rather than honor. people will pursue wealth; it will essentially be two cities, a city of wealthy citizens and a city of poor people; the few wealthy will fear the many poor; people will do various jobs simultaneously; the city will allow for poor people without means; it will have a high crime rate. The oligarchic individual comes by seeing his father lose his possessions and feeling insecure he begins to greedily pursue wealth, thus he allows his appetitive part to become a more dominant part of his soul. The oligarchic individual’s soul is at middle point between the spirited and the appetitive part.

3. Democracy comes about when the rich become too rich and the poor too poor. Too much luxury makes the oligarchs soft and the poor revolt against them. In democracy most of the political offices are distributed by lot. The primary goal of the democratic regime is freedom or license. People will come to hold offices without having the necessary knowledge and everyone is treated as an equal in ability (equals and unequals alike). The democratic individual comes to pursue all sorts of bodily desires excessively and allows his appetitive part to rule his soul. He comes about when his bad education allows him to transition from desiring money to desiring bodily and material goods. The democratic individual has no shame and no self-discipline.

4. Tyranny arises out of democracy when the desire for freedom to do what one wants becomes extreme. The freedom or license aimed at in the democracy becomes so extreme that any limitations on anyone’s freedom seem unfair. Socrates points out that when freedom is taken to such an extreme it produces its opposite, slavery. The tyrant comes about by presenting himself as a champion of the people against the class of the few people who are wealthy. The tyrant is forced to commit a number of acts to gain and retain power: accuse people falsely, attack his kinsmen, bring people to trial under false pretenses, kill many people, exile many people, and purport to cancel the debts of the poor to gain their support. The tyrant eliminates the rich, brave, and wise people in the city since he perceives them as threats to his power. Socrates indicates that the tyrant faces the dilemma to either live with worthless people or with good people who may eventually depose him and chooses to live with worthless people. The tyrant ends up using mercenaries as his guards since he cannot trust any of the citizens. The tyrant also needs a very large army and will spend the city’s money, and will not hesitate to kill members of his own family if they resist his ways.

Let's discuss modern parrallels and relevance. Do you think this analysis is important to defer to today? Was Socrates wrong, or miss a critical point in the procession? Any commentary you wish on the subject will be welcome!

https://iep.utm.edu/republic/#SH1h
    http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/republic.9.viii.html

-G
  • Fooloso4
    The just city was a regime that never was and never will be. It is a city in speech, purportedly intended to see justice in the soul writ large. Very few both then and now would consider the regime of the Republic just. In some important respects it is closer to tyranny than to the other regimes described.

Rather than regarding this as an accurate description of the development of historical and present regimes, it useful to consider how what is most valued in each leads to its eventual downfall.
  • Paine
    In keeping with the Polis and the individual being seen as parallel lives, the change from one kind of regime to another is traced by the type of man who lives in them. The role of wealth, as a personal good, plays a part in each change. The first change is described this way:

“Once division had come on the scene,” I said, “the two strains of iron and bronze in their race each pulled them in the direction of moneymaking and of acquiring land and houses and gold and silver, while the other two strains of gold and silver, inasmuch as they weren’t needy but rich in their souls by nature, led them toward virtue and the ancient order of things. — Plato, Republic, 547b, translated by Joe Sachs

But it is important to remember that the 4 regimes being discussed do not include the Fifth that the previous books of the Republic described as the best. As Glaucon says:

“That’s not hard,” he said, “because almost exactly like now, you were acting as though you’d gone completely through the discussion about the city, saying that you’d rate a city of the sort you’d gone over at that point, and a man like it, [543D] as good, though for that matter it seems as though you were able to describe a still more beautiful [544A] city and man. So anyway, you were saying that the other cities were misguided if this one is right, and you claimed, as I recall, that there were four forms among the remaining polities about which it would be worth having an account, and worth seeing the ways they, and the people like them, go astray, so that, when we’d seen them all and come to agreement about the best and worst sort of man, we could consider whether the best is the happiest and the worst the most miserable, or whether it might be otherwise. — Republic, 544a, ibid. (Underlining is mine)

• Metaphysician Undercover
    The first degree of corruption is honour. It is described as coming about through some mathematical principles which allow the prescribed principles of eugenics that keep the aristocracy pure, to be degraded. The rulers then trend toward infighting, civil war, and war opens up to them, the spoils of war, property and riches seized. The turning toward money pushes them into the second degree of corruption.
  • Deleted User

Very few both then and now would consider the regime of the Republic just. In some important respects it is closer to tyranny than to the other regimes described.Fooloso4

Yes, this is quite clear. However, the reason I published was to discuss the relevance of such a prognostication listed above, not necessarily to discuss the "Just City," or lackthereof, itself.

Rather than regarding this as an accurate description of the development of historical and present regimes, it useful to consider how what is most valued in each leads to its eventual downfall.Fooloso4

I don't think you can achieve the second clause of this sentence, without first assessing what, if anything, is true regarding the first. Which is what I was hoping to do.
  • Deleted User
    In keeping with the Polis and the individual being seen as parallel lives, the change from one kind of regime to another is traced by the type of man who lives in them. The role of wealth, as a personal good, plays a part in each change. The first change is described this way:Paine

So, in other words, the fall of each of the regimes is dependent on the type of man that is represented in the actions of its citizens?

But it is important to remember that the 4 regimes being discussed do not include the Fifth that the previous books of the Republic described as the best. As Glaucon says:Paine

Yes, If I take your meaning, when I first read the work and learned what each of them generated together as the "Just City," it struck me as being anything but. At best, just another specimen to add to the collection of failed state models.
  • Deleted User
    The first degree of corruption is honour. It is described as coming about through some mathematical principles which allow the prescribed principles of eugenics that keep the aristocracy pure, to be degraded. The rulers then trend toward infighting, civil war, and war opens up to them, the spoils of war, property and riches seized. The turning toward money pushes them into the second degree of corruption.Metaphysician Undercover

Are you saying that they got the order of sequences confused as far as what form of corruption leads into which?

No, I don't think they got the order confused, it seems reasonable to me. But I don't really understand the first degree of corruption; it's described as having a mathematical cause.
  • Deleted User

Can you point me to where you are seeing that and I'll try to makes sense of it?
  • Deleted User

Oh, I see. Yes, they're doing some sort of quasi-mystical lineage related mathematics that is utterly esoteric as far as I am concerned.
  • Fooloso4
    Yes, this is quite clear. However, the reason I published was to discuss the relevance of such a prognostication listed above, not necessarily to discuss the "Just City," or lackthereof, itself.Garrett Travers

Does it make sense to regard this as the:

procession of tyranny by describing each stage, or "unjust regime,Garrett Travers

And:

The first deviant regime from just kingship or aristocracyGarrett Travers

If there is no just city from which they follow as deviancies?

Well, the issue as I see it, is like this. The continued existence of the State is dependent on the continued existence of the ruling class, the purity of the aristocracy. The continuity of the ruling class is supposed to be provided for by the eugenics of the ultra elite, the philosophers. This is the noble lie, which even the members of the ruling class themselves get subjected to, because only the ultra high-up philosophers are rigging the lottery which is supposed to determine by chance, who breeds with whom.

You'll see that Plato uses the analogy of breeding dogs. So the continued existence of the ruling class is analogous to the continued existence of a pure variety within the human species, like we maintain pure breeds of dogs. Traits are selected for, and bred for, to maintain a pure ruling variety, and this selection activity is as much as possible hidden even from the ruling class itself, making the selection activity appear more natural, as if it is not fixed. So there is a type of self-deception which is occurring at the very highest levels of the ruling class. They simply follow some breeding practices which are a matter of tradition, and the true reason for the practice is lost in the tradition, hidden as the noble lie.

The second level in the State, next to the ruling class, is the guardians. The guardians are a medium between the rulers and the lower class, which are the craftspeople, artisans, manufactures, traders, farmers, those who provide for everyone. Honour is the top trait of the guardians. They are like the watch dogs of society, but they must remain true and loyal to the rulers in policing the lower class. So the honour of the guardians is what maintains the proper relationship between them and the rulers.

The State is designed by its constitution to last forever, or indefinitely, but as Plato says, like all natural living things, change will come about, and it will decay. He states that the State will start to break down when there is fault in the breeding practices, the rulers misunderstand the numerical principles. But Plato doesn't account for natural variations which are essential to modern evolutionary theory. So Plato proposes a great convoluted mathematical theory as to how the rulers fail in their breeding practices, which leads to the corruption of the State. I think he attributes the actual decline of the State to a mixing of the classes, without any reference to natural variation. Notice he talks about the gold, silver, bronze, and iron (each a variety of human being), mixing.

But the real issue is the position of honour, as the relation between the guardians and the rulers. What is evident in Plato's description is that strife develops between the rulers themselves. Whether this is the result of the described mixing, or something completely different like natural variation, might be irrelevant. When the rulers turn on each other, they must each appeal to the guardians for personal assistance, and the role of honour is reversed. The ruler now honours the guardian, because the guardian is needed for defense against other rulers. So this, I believe is the first step to the corruption process, it is disagreement amongst the rulers themselves, which causes a reversal of the role of honour, therefore the role of the guardians. Instead of policing the lower class, they must turn around and police the rulers.
  • Fooloso4
    I don't think you can achieve the second clause of this sentence, without first assessing what, if anything, is true regarding the first. Which is what I was hoping to do.Garrett Travers

I forgot to address this in my last post. The claim that what is most valued in each regime leads to its eventual downfall can be evaluated independently of an assessment of the historical accuracy of Plato's description of the movement of one regime to another, and, the question of whether regimes are "pure or mixed".
  • Deleted User

I would have to say yes, as it happens there's never been a Just City, yet each one the stages listed above have all existed numerous times throughout history, including now, notwithstanding the absence of a Just City.
  • Fooloso4

Can you provide historical examples of the progression/regression of one stage to each of the others?

It is one thing to identify a regime as an oligarchy or democracy or tyranny, but quite another to identify the actual historical movement from one to the each of the others.
  • Deleted User

Now that's an excelent question. One might look at post-revolutionary France and the advent of Bonaparte displacing the aristocracy, however that transition was almost directly from aristocracy to tyranny in a certain manner. One may look at Ancient athens which transitioned from deomcratic to tyrannical within a very small time frame. Russia has had a few transitions itself, but now that I'm thinking about it, the sequence of phases above isn't what appears to be historically important, they emerge independently of one another.
  • Deleted User

Yes, I just came to this same conclusion right before I read this.
  • Paine
    Yes, If I take your meaning, when I first read the work and learned what each of them generated together as the "Just City," it struck me as being anything but. At best, just another specimen to add to the collection of failed state models.Garrett Travers

Regardless of the ways your judgement may turn regarding Socrates' proposal of the Just City, that regime differs from the other four by not being an experienced reality.

When Socrates speaks of the three kinds of men, lovers of wisdom, honor, or money, the regime not yet realized can be recognized as the one where the lover of wisdom is above all others in authority. The highest of the failed four can include the lover of wisdom as a righteous citizen but not as a singular agent. Consider the following discussion of the possible experiences of each kind of man:

“So consider: of the men, of whom there are three, who’s the most experienced in all the pleasures we’re speaking of? Does the lover of gain seem to you to be more experienced in the pleasure that comes from knowing, because he learns the truth itself for what it is, or does the lover of wisdom seem more experienced in the pleasure that comes from [582B] gaining something?”
    “There’s a big difference,” he said. “It’s necessary for the one to taste the other pleasures starting from childhood, but for the other, the lover of gain, it’s not necessary to taste or to get any experience of learning how things are in their nature, of the pleasure in that and how sweet it is; what’s more, even if he were eager to, it wouldn’t be so easy.”
    “So,” I said, “the lover of wisdom greatly surpasses the lover of gain in his experience of both sorts of pleasure.” [582C]'
    “Greatly indeed.” “'
    And how about in relation to the lover of honor? Is the lover of wisdom more inexperienced in the pleasure that comes from being honored than that person is in the pleasure that comes from using intelligence?”
    “On the contrary,” he said; “honor is attached to them all, so long as each achieves what he sets out for. Even the rich person is honored by many people, as are the courageous and the wise. So all are experienced in what the pleasure is like that comes from being honored, but it’s impossible for anyone except the lover of wisdom to get a taste of what’s involved in the sight of what is, or of the sort of pleasure it has in it.” [582D]
    “Therefore, as far as experience is concerned,” I said, “he’d do the most beautiful job of judging among the men.”
    “By far.”
    — Republc, 582A, translated by Joe Sachs
  • Deleted User
    When Socrates speaks of the three kinds of men, lovers of wisdom, honor, or money, the regime not yet realized can be recognized as the one where the lover of wisdom is above all others in authority. The highest of the failed four can include the lover of wisdom as a righteous citizen but not as a singular agent. Consider the following discussion of the possible experiences of each kind of man:Paine

Yes, there are ceryainly aspects of the just city that do not necessarily aligne with the more politically incorrect views espoused them. I for one, would revel in the idea of a place where the men/women of philosophy and science simply dwelled togethor and pursued honor, virtue, and enjoyment in genertion for its own sake. However, think in your own mind what it would take for that kind of place to exist for those who built it. I think that is primarily what The Republic is meant to have us consider. This just city is just that, an impossible ideal that would require, at least in their estimation, the measures laid and the role strictures by which those who were not counted among the philosophers would habe to fulfill. Nonetheless, I am impressed with the progression of deviant regimes laid out. There are many cases of such being the case, even if not in that exact order.
  • Paine

As a blueprint of an ideal city, it has some odd features. The problem of inheritance, as the cause of bad outcomes, is not made less sharp by how difficult it would be to remedy it. Socrates is pulling upon beards.
    The entire dialogue centers upon trying to disprove Thrasymachus's assertion that justice is only the preferences of the powerful. It turned out that we had to explore many sides of human motivation to approach the question.
    The city of words allows the other regimes to be distinguished from each other.
    Socrates was killed for bringing some of the city of words into the city of Athens.

It is sort of a mirror image of Dante's Hell: "Why do I know so many of these losers"?
  • Deleted User
    As a blueprint of an ideal city, it has some odd features. The problem of inheritance, as the cause of bad outcomes, is not made less sharp by how difficult it would be to remedy it. Socrates is pulling upon beards.
    The entire dialogue centers upon trying to disprove Thrasymachus's assertion that justice is only the preferences of the powerful. It turned out that we had to explore many sides of human motivation to approach the question.
    The city or words allows the other regimes to be distinguished from each other.
    Socrates was killed for bringing some of the city of words into the city of Athens.

It is sort of a mirror image of Dante's Hell: "Why do I know so many of these losers"?
    Paine

A very, very well said statement. Let me ruminate on that, this is new sight on the subject for me.
  • Fooloso4
    The entire dialogue centers upon trying to disprove Thrasymachus's assertion that justice is only the preferences of the powerful.Paine

There are some interesting twists here. I will mention one. Thrasymachus is a sophist. His motivation is to recruit students. His potential students may come to question the extent to which he might benefit them if one's central motivation is to benefit yourself, which would include him. It is in his interest to moderate his claim, that it is of greater benefit to align his preferences with those of others, or, at least, to appear to do so. Socrates teaches him to be a better sophist.

The question of whether Thrasymachus will benefit or harm his students, is an echo of the accusation against Socrates' corrupting the youth of Athens.

You make a good point regarding inheritance. Inheritance is of central concern to the aristocracy. A polis in which there is neither the unchecked accumulation of wealth or its inheritance is anathema. If their sons accepted this principle of justice they would see it as a corruption.
  • Paine
    The question of whether Thrasymachus will benefit or harm his students, is an echo of the accusation against Socrates' corrupting the youth of Athens.Fooloso4

I see that.
    I also see how wrestling with Socrates makes Thrasymachus a better sophist.
    Opposing people may empower them. But what is the alternative? Silence?
  • Fooloso4
    Opposing people may empower them. But what is the alternative? Silence?Paine

I don't know. We see it on the national stage and we see it here on this forum. We cannot eliminate sophists, zealots, and those who are convinced that they are in possession of the Truth and must endlessly promote and defend it. All make use of reason and evidence, but abandon them when they run counter to their own ends.
  • Deleted User
    I don't know. We see it on the national stage and we see it here on this forum. We cannot eliminate sophists, zealots, and those who are convinced that they are in possession of the Truth and must endlessly promote and defend it. All make use of reason and evidence, but abandon them when they run counter to their own ends.Fooloso4

Thus, a strong state structure with a bit of Thrasymachus' inclincation toward strength is the only thing that can guarantee that the philosopher demographic can possibly expect to live free. But, game-theory would imply that those who seek such benefit are precisely the men that cannot be trusted to have such a benefit to their strength, eh? Does the man seeking strength, as Thrasymachus imagines, make use of reason and evidence, or only the use of the reason of his subjects, I wonder. To me, it seems we're in quite the paradox, don't you think? Sovereignty requires strength; those who seek strength do not desire the sovereignty of the individual mind, but to dominate it.
  • Fooloso4
    Thus, a strong state structure with a bit of Thrasymachus' inclincation toward strength is the only thing that can guarantee that the philosopher demographic can possibly expect to live free.Garrett Travers

I think Plato's political philosophy played the long game. Rather than enter the political arena he shaped it from the outside, by asking fundamental questions about political life. By political life I do not mean politics in the narrow sense, but rather, life in the polis. In the Republic Plato does not simply deny that the philosopher acts out of self-interest, but that it is against the interest and benefit of the philosopher to rule. The philosopher is portrayed as selfless benefactor.

Justice is defined as minding your own business. This is highly ironic. On the one hand, the business of the philosopher king is the business of the city. On the other, everyone else is to mind their own business and not meddle with philosophy or philosophers. The philosopher is compelled to rule, but it is only by ruling that she is free to pursue philosophy. The philosopher is not simply the selfless benefactor she appears to be.

There is a double sense in which Socrates teaches Thrasymachus to be a better sophist. In one sense it means to improve his powers of persuasion by appearing to be something he is not, by hiding is true motivation, by being less honest. In another sense, he becomes a better sophist if he no longer disregards the benefit of his students and will teach them to take the benefit of others into consideration.
  • Deleted User
    I think Plato's political philosophy played the long game. Rather than enter the political arena he shaped it from the outside, by asking fundamental questions about political life. By political life I do not mean politics in the narrow sense, but rather, life in the polis. In the Republic Plato does not simply deny that the philosopher acts out of self-interest, but that it is against the interest and benefit of the philosopher to rule. The philosopher is portrayed as selfless benefactor.Fooloso4

A good point about the long-game, but are we sure about the selfless benefactor? Sure, passages of the kind are there that say such things, but aren't there many passages between Plato and Aristotle that lionize virtue for its own sake? That a virtuos society is dependent on the virtous who comprise it? It has never struck me that they were very consistent in this messaging. Virtue is the source of happiness for them, they are one virtue and happiness. But, they spread across topics of inquiry to be engaged: poliyics, art, sculpture, etc... Wouldn't you say?

Justice is defined as minding your own business. This is highly ironic. On the one hand, the business of the philosopher king is the business of the city. On the other, everyone else is to mind their own business and not meddle with philosophy or philosophers. The philosopher is compelled to rule, but it is only by ruling that she is free to pursue philosophy. The philosopher is not simply the selfless benefactor she appears to be.Fooloso4

Yes, indeed. But, isn't it also mentioned among the comrades that the philosopher is the only one who can even be trusted to rule? Which thereby creates his obligation. What do you think on that?

There is a double sense in which Socrates teaches Thrasymachus to be a better sophist. In one sense it means to improve his powers of persuasion by appearing to be something he is not, by hiding is true motivation, by being less honest. In another sense, he becomes a better sophist if he no longer disregards the benefit of his students and will teach them to take the benefit of others into consideration.Fooloso4

Yes, I remember. Good reference. You can imagine what a leader might sound like to the untrained ears of his subjects if his intention were to build his own strength as a means to further validate his rule, without it being something reasonably brought to the attention of his subjects as a point of agreement or concurrence. Personal strength? Military? Musical skills? What could he mean? An interesting idea from Socrates. Even if you're going to do something wrong, at list introduce a bit of virtue to it.
  • Fooloso4
    A good point about the long-game, but are we sure about the selfless benefactor?Garrett Travers

There is a difference between the way the philosopher was portrayed and what was thinly veiled. The philosopher, despite the portrayal was not a selfless benefactor. It was a guide taken on to mask the danger philosophy posed to conservative society.

Virtue means excellence. In its highest form, the realization of the best humans are capable of. But this is something that can only be attained by a few. A "virtuous society" is problematic to say the least.

But, isn't it also mentioned among the comrades that the philosopher is the only one who can even be trusted to rule? Which thereby creates his obligation. What do you think on that?Garrett Travers

The argument in the Republic, if I remember it correctly, is that their obligation to the city is based on their being raised and educated by the city, that the city makes possible their way of life. It does not take much to see how weak this argument is.
  • Deleted User
    There is a difference between the way the philosopher was portrayed and what was thinly veiled. The philosopher, despite the portrayal was not a selfless benefactor. It was a guide taken on to mask the danger philosophy posed to conservative society.

Virtue means excellence. In its highest form, the realization of the best humans are capable of. But this is something that can only be attained by a few. A "virtuous society" is problematic to say the least.
    Fooloso4

I really enjoy the way you process these concepts. I haven't been impressed all that much here on the philosophy forum, you and Paine seem to be consistently erudite in your assessments. Great job. I've met many people, including on this website, who did not understand this aspect of the dialogues.

The argument in the Republic, if I remember it correctly, is that their obligation to the city is based on their being raised and educated by the city, that the city makes possible their way of life. It does not take much to see how weak this argument is.Fooloso4

Of course. And yes, that's without a doubt an element. That's a bit why I love the dialogues, they don't strike me as making an argumnent for something, they strike me as a series of exercises in the virtue that is consistent, skeptical, inquiry. Inquiry is the MOST consistent thing contained within the dialogues. Just something cool I like about em. Hey, since I've got you, I've got a thread going on Virtue Ethics that hasn't picked up yet, if perhaps you feel like broadening this discussion. It's the first of three I wanted to have on ethics. Have a look if you feel like it, eh.
  • Fooloso4
    I really enjoy the way you process these concepts. I haven't been impressed all that much here on the philosophy forum, you and Paine seem to be consistently erudite in your assessments. Great job. I've met many people, including on this website, who did not understand this aspect of the dialogues.Garrett Travers

Thank you. Some time back I did extended commentaries on some of the dialogues. I take inquiry to be central to the pursuit of philosophy. There are some here who think philosophy is a matter of revealed truth. They were hostile to anything that threatens what they regard as the gospel of Platonism.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.