• javra
    So if I see people applauding and cheering as a toreador sinks his blades into a bull's sides, that's not schadenfreude-like? These expressions actually represent remorse, love, pity, compassion. I thought these sentiments came with their own distinctive, dedicated physical correlates like :sad: :grimace: :cry:

:up: Next time you take a tumble and somebody laughs/sniggers (at you), you're gonna shake his/her hand, tip your hat, and thank him/her.
    Agent Smith

Last I recall the toreador is supposed to bring about a clean kill in the lesser animal, rather than one of excruciating suffering.

That said, when have I ever denied the occurrence of sadistic assholes in the world? Your last sentence specifically leaves a lot to be desired in terms of coherence.
  • ssu
    Well, I've rambled, I see. But I think interesting issues are raised by the subject matter of my rambling. Were gladiators virtuous? Did the games provide examples of virtuous conduct?Ciceronianus
    I'd say the virtuousness of gladiators has to be viewed from the values of the Roman society. Martial prowess was something that was revered and held important in a society which basically needed to invade, occupy and loot the wealth of others to increase and basically sustain it's wealth and stature. Once Rome didn't conquer new loot, it faced problems. Even if the "globalization" of Antiquity worked well enough to uphold an advanced economy, that basically we only started to see in the Renaissance of after, it simply couldn't grow as our own societies. So no wonder why the country was basically constantly fighting others and itself and the ordinary Roman likely didn't know (or care) who the emperor in Rome was. But martial prowess, bravery in war and combat, was seen as something good.

I think the older historians from early 20th or 19th Century could capture far better the feel much better than current generation, who wouldn't tolerate such "nonsense" talk of glory or virtue.

Unfortunately.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.