• Agent Smith
    It's not just me who says soTerraHalcyon

Subtle differences, although the one I'm using at the moment ( :point: ) is far from being an examplar of one , should be given due consideration.
  • TerraHalcyon
    What exactly does pointing mean?
  • Agent Smith
    pointingTerraHalcyon

:point:
  • Agent Smith
    This was deep, man.Zolenskify

:smile: There really was no other way. I move that we expand our emoticon set. Mods, are you listening?
  • Zolenskify
    Have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle?
  • Agent Smith
    Have you red "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle?Zolenskify

Nope. I should have.
  • Zolenskify
    You don't read books anymore?
  • Agent Smith
    You don't read books anymore?Zolenskify

I'm not lucky enough to read books. :sad:
  • Alkis Piskas

I think there is a difference between the sense of self and the self itself.hopeful
    First of all, what do you mean by the "sense of self" and the "self" itself? Also about the concept of "ego", which features in the title of the topic. I believe you must start from that, because I know well that people mean different things about them. What matters though is what do you mean by them, since this is your topic. Don't you agree?

So, I won't start describing what do these concepts mean for me or, even worse, start talking on the subject assuming stupidly that I know what exactly you mean about them! :smile:
  • TerraHalcyon
    I did and to be honest I'm surprised it was a best seller. It got a lot of things wrong, one thing being that animals have no sense of time (it's just not true).
  • Zolenskify
    I hear what you are saying, and you're right to say that animals do have a sense of time. Animals do have a circadian rhythm for example. However, what Tolle means by "time" or having a "sense" of it, is the anxiety that comes with the need to meet a deadline, needing to wake up early, or running late for instance - being "on time" as we know it.

In this way, an animal does not have a "sense" of time, as they are not held to the same expectations (many of these expectations being unnecessary and sort of arbitrary - but ultimately result from the human condition - according to Tolle), as us. For example, having a job, and the "on-timely" nature that comes along it, is not an expectation we have of animals.
  • Zolenskify
    Have you tried Audible?
  • TerraHalcyon
    However, what Tolle means by "time" or having a "sense" of it, is the anxiety that comes with the need to meet a deadline, needing to wake up early, or running late for instance - being "on time" as we know it.Zolenskify

He's still wrong in that sense as well, I wasn't talking about circadian rhythm. It's also funny how he talks about not needing to do stuff when the guy literally has more than enough money to feasibly do that. His words ring hollow.

For example, having a job, and the "on-timely" nature that comes along it, is not an expectation we have of animals.Zolenskify

This is a moot point as comparing one animal to another when they have different rituals, behavior, etc shows an ignorance of the natural world. Animals technically have "jobs" in pack or social animals, ever seen lions hunt? As for being on time, there's cases of that too.

(many of these expectations being unnecessary and sort of arbitrary - but ultimately result from the human condition - according to Tolle)Zolenskify

Debatable. Like I said before the guy has more than enough money to afford to not have to do anything. But he is pretty stupid when it comes to reality.
  • Agent Smith
    Have you tried Audible?Zolenskify

What's that?
  • Zolenskify
    An app that reads books to you, like Spotify, but for books. It also is read by a person, not a robot.
  • Zolenskify
    Yeah, I suppose you're right.
  • Agent Smith
    An app that reads books to you, like Spotify, but for books. It also is read by a person, not a robot.Zolenskify

ok!
  • Deleted User
    It isn't, anymore than cognition can be separated from the body and survive. You are your ego. What I think is really being emphasized in the idea of "ego death," is actually, in fact, the conscious rejection of the FALSE ego/identity that one's mind builds both consciously and subconsciously throughout one's life. In such a case, one is actually undergoing the Jungian process of integrating the shadow, which is way more sophisticated of a concept.

-G
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube