• Yeah
    This is based on a general psychological assessment of faith and not on any specific religious group or denomination.

The question is how do people maintain there faith?

The simple answer: Emotional Intelligence plays a large part in maintaining faith and the ability to be self aware of ones own emotional state. Based on my observation this seems to apply to only spiritual practitioner and not those that practice extrinsic religion. Those who practice extrinsic religion tend to walk away with a more negative experience. Compared to sincer practitioners who will more likely have a positive spiritual experience.

Although the thesis that I read below doesn't mention Atheist or Agnostics as part of there psycho analysis. It does provoke a question. Does that mean non-believers score lower in the EI? Is a certain level of EI or EQ a prerequisite to having faith? Is being over analytical creating a “intellectual blind spot” ?

Divine Emotions: On the Link Between Emotional Intelligence and Religious Belief -
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5653720/#Sec18title
  • tim wood
    I read the reference. What exactly, in a sentence or two, do you think its point is, or what it is saying? Caveat, I shall ask you to define your terms using the definitions in the paper - and good luck finding those! And did you notice that their sample group was Polish Roman Catholics?

I suggest that if you want to read meaning into the paper, you can do that. But the paper won't support it. And if you want to find what the paper says, or means, you shall have to do a lot of digging, and there is plenty even on the surface of the thing to indicate that effort would be time wasted.
  • praxis
    Hello, Yeah.

Do you recognize an emotional need behind your post?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.