• NOS4A2

They didn’t need to fabricate conspiracy theories to do it. All they had to do was get Clinton alone with an intern and give him a microphone.
  • Harry Hindu
    It's interesting that all the bad things that happen are done by Republicans,tim wood
    Spoken like some who only gets information from sources that confirm their own cognitive biases. It's interesting that all the bad things that happen are done by demons and devils and all the good things are done by us angels. Give. Me. A. Break.

The whole thing was a carnival for alt-right cosplayers,StreetlightX
    :lol:

Riot, insurrection. Words aside, what exactly do you say happened on 6 January?tim wood
    Riots are what they called the violence in the summer of 2020 where public property was destroyed and innocent people were killed. Other called it peaceful protests. Some would call an insurrection a revolt against tyranny. So what happened on Jan. 6th and the summer of 2020? Two ignorant groups were manipulated by political elites into thinking that their lives and freedom were being threatened by another group in order to rile them up to get votes. The two political parties fear the growing number of independents and they are growing desperate in their need for votes without having to be detailed about their plans and defending their inconsistencies, which you have to do with independents, but not with their fundamentalist, close-minded party members who vote for them no matter what.

We all (at least the intelligent people) know that the elites in govt. use their power to keep power and enrich themselves at our expense. When Nancy Pelosi's trading portfolio is as performing as well as, if not out-performing, Warren Buffet's then there must be something fishy going on.
  • Hanover
    This has nothing to do with liberals. Any systematic analysis should reveal that. People busted windows, beat up police officers, destroyed and took things like podium's out of the house, and all with the aim to stop the election from being certified. Thank goodness people in congress got out. Can you imagine what would have happened if they had been caught? Can you imagine if someone had brought bombs, or a foreign spy had tagged along and found this to be his opportunity?

Conservative, liberal, or independent, it should be condemned by everyone.
    Philosophim

The left has gotten carried away with taking their hyperbole literally and now has lost even further credibility. They are trying to use this riot as their best evidence of a right wing world gone crazy. Theat narrative serves only to reinforce their position and get ignored by the right.

What is an insurrection? That's when legislative bodies break away from the nation and artillery is fired upon a federal fort. That's a good description, If you want to know what civil war looks like, we have a great example to look at.

The insurrection the left speaks of never was. At no time was the US in jeopardy of a coup or overthrow. What happened is that Trump lost, but he didn't want to cede power, so he scoured the great land for someone to give him the power he lost, from Governors, to local elections officials, to Secretary of States, and most notably to the courts. Over and over and over he lost, until the final day arrived and there was going to be an official change of administrations. Even his loyal VP wouldn't play along, and so as a final desperate act by a desperate man, he summoned his most gullible, comprised of a ragtag group of misfits, and they rallied upon the Capital, some more malicious than others, but all generally inept. If that is what revolution looks like, I feel safe.

None of this excuses Trump. He's a piece of shit and has repeatedly spread his lie that he won the election he lost. The capital riot was an outgrowth of a terrible human being putting his own ego over the democracy he was supposed to represent and trying to ignore the citizens who rejected him.

It wasn't an insurrection. It's laughable to call it that. The left has figured out a way to overplay what should have been a hand that couldn't be overplayed.
  • laura ann
    It seems so obvious, at least to me, that the leaders of all these different political parties and their media counterparts main objective is to keep everyone fighting with each other. It would be nice if we didn’t keep letting that happen.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Just so we're all on the same page. :smile:

What is an insurrection?Hanover

insurrection hoaxNOS4A2

noun: insurrection; plural noun: insurrections
    a violent uprising against an authority or government.

https://www.google.com/search?q=insurrection&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS982US982&oq=insurrection&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i433i512l2j0i512l7.1934j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • tim wood
    It's interesting that all the bad things that happen are done by Republicans,
    — tim wood
    Spoken like some who only gets information from sources that confirm their own cognitive biases. It's interesting that all the bad things that happen are done by demons and devils and all the good things are done by us angels. Give. Me. A. Break.
    Harry Hindu

That is, for which there is evidence. I realize in your fantasy land, you have no need of evidence, nor are troubled by lack of it.

Give you a break? Sure. Try growing up.
  • NOS4A2

Do you believe it was a violent uprising against the government?
  • Srap Tasmaner

Not completely laughable. People died. Mostly laughable.

But not a riot. They weren't just expressing themselves destructively. They were there to stop Congress from certifying electors. They were there, as they themselves said, to take back their government. That's not a riot.

The interesting part of the day to me is the couple hours of radio silence from Trump. I think he hoped, perhaps even believed, that people in uniform would stand with him, so he was waiting to see what the cops did. There were off-duty cops in the mob, after all. But then it became clear that those in uniform were not siding with Trump's mob, and tanks didn't roll in to support him, nothing like that, so he finally told everyone to go home. But I believe he was waiting to see what happened, and would have been perfectly happy to stay in power at gunpoint.

As it turns out, it was just violent LARPing, but it wasn't clear early on that's all it would be, and those involved had bigger ambitions.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Do you believe it was a violent uprising against the government?NOS4A2

I do.
  • NOS4A2

Were the riots outside of the Whitehouse in 2020 an insurrection, then?
  • Paine

They were not done to change who was in power.
  • NOS4A2

Trump was in power on the 6th.
  • Paine
    The riot was incited to keep him in power after that date.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Were the riots outside of the Whitehouse in 2020 an insurrection, then?NOS4A2
    Maybe. Was it an attempt to halt a democratic process?
  • NOS4A2

Was anyone charged and convicted of inciting a riot or insurrection?

Your definition says nothing about halting democratic processes, though, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Was it a "violent uprising against the government?"
  • Deletedmemberzc
    In this case the government is sometimes considered democratic....
  • Paine

Why ask me?
    The intentions of the proceedings at the time are pronounced clearly by those interested in the results.
  • NOS4A2

Why ask me?

You said the riot was incited to keep him in power. Surely you know if anyone has been charged with inciting the riot, and their intentions to keep him in power.
  • Paine

Why would my observation be based on what people have been charged with as a matter of law?

A group of people tried to hang on to power after having been voted out. If the situation is much different from that description, the situation needs to be seen in a different light.

But that light has not yet shined. Go ahead, enlighten me.
  • Deletedmemberzc
    It wasn'tNOS4A2

OK. So in 2020 it wasn't an insurrection?
  • Deletedmemberzc
    Surely you know if anyone has been charged with inciting the riot, and their intentions to keep him in power.NOS4A2

Next let's prove the sun is shining.

It happened in plain daylight.

Your obfuscations are transparent. I can smell your smile.
  • Streetlight
    The left has gotten carried away with taking their hyperbole literally and now has lost even further credibility. They are trying to use this riot as their best evidence of a right wing world gone crazy.Hanover

Please, don't confuse the CNN-"left" for the left kthx.

Jan 6 is nice and spicy. Lots of spectacle. Good visuals. Fits nicely into a Harry Potter view of the world where baddies are isolatable and ridiclious. It's the perfect excuse to not say anything about the material conditions which gave rise to it. Apologists for capital - both liberals and conservatives - couldn't have organized a better energy-sink to talk about a concequentless nothingburger for months on end if they tried. That there wasn't a repeat of Jan 6 when Pelosi all but defended insider trading by congress shows that most of the hand-wringing over the incident is purely aesthetic.
  • Philosophim
    The left has gotten carried awayHanover

My BS propaganda radar goes off whenever I see, "The left" or "The right". Those are lazy labels filled with bias, and generally do not lead to good thoughts. I recall reading a study years ago that stated people think critically about their opposing party, identifying all of their negatives, but gloss over their own. Conclusion: Identifying with a "left" or a "right" makes you stupid.

There are people that tried to stop the certification of an election. Violence was made. I blame those people, no one else. I blame those who lie that nothing bad happened because they are worried that those individuals actions, will somehow rub off on them. That's cowardice. I respect people who speak up for what is right, even if someone might try to smear them for it.

You concern about who gets the blame beyond those involved is entirely misplaced. It causes you to lie, and make excuses for those who committed violence, and attempted to stop the peaceful transfer of power. Remove "the left" and "the right" from your brain, it is poison. If you excuse evil, because you are worried that punishing it will harm you, you are complicit.

There really is no rational debate over what happened. Its an open and shut case that people tried to overturn the election through violent means. It was foolish, stupid, traitorous, and should never be supported or excused. All decent people should be coming out to condemn it instead of being worried about the utter irrelevancy and pathetic priority of tribal politics.
  • ssu
    They didn’t need to fabricate conspiracy theories to do it.NOS4A2

Don't you remember Whitewater and Kenneth Starr, who was initially appointed to investigate the suicide of deputy White House counsel Vince Foster and the Whitewater real estate investments of Bill Clinton? That Starr that afterwards joined Trump's legal team. :snicker:

Yes, the selectivity of your memory is telling. But I guess it's a norm with deeply tribal Americans. But the truth is the mudslinging with conspiracy theories has been the norm for American politics for a long time.

763e950206d9233c17fbcdf024edc479

w204.jpg
  • Harry Hindu
    That is, for which there is evidence. I realize in your fantasy land, you have no need of evidence, nor are troubled by lack of it.tim wood
    I'm certainly not saying the Dems are more corrupt. I'm saying that they are equally corrupt and need each other to maintain the status quo. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post it. If it makes you sleep better to say I live in a fantasy land even though I can point to issues that I have switched sides on, like religion, based on the evidence, and you probably cant. Care to share just one idea that you've changed your mind on given the evidence? If not then who is the one living in a fantasy land?
  • NOS4A2

Clinton, eh? I don’t understand the whataboutism but it’s not surprising given that you fell for and helped propel a conspiracy theory for a few years. Finnish meddling, I suppose. If there was an American civil war I already know which side you’d take.
  • ssu
    Lol. Have to say that the Trump administration was the most transparent administration as various people paint the same exact picture you could see from just following the guy.

As I've stated again and again, just to watch through the Putin / Trump press conference and the abnormality of the Trump Presidence was all there to see.

But believe by all means the Republican mantra with religious fervor as you do.
  • NOS4A2

The only thing abnormal about it was the preconceived notions, led as they were by the silliest of media blunders ever perpetrated. The surprising thing is even distant foreigners who pride themselves on being above American tribalism were so easily duped by the Clinton propaganda machine. I’m still trying to figure out how such a person may benefit from being the unwitting participant in Clintonian propaganda, but I can never reach any conclusion.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.