• Agent Smith
    Sample X:

In the mathematically rigorous formulation of quantum mechanics, the state of a quantum mechanical system is a vector  belonging to a (separable) complex Hilbert space  This vector is postulated to be normalized under the Hilbert space inner product, that is, it obeys , and it is well-defined up to a complex number of modulus 1 (the global phase), that is,  and  represent the same physical system. In other words, the possible states are points in the projective space of a Hilbert space, usually called the complex projective space. The exact nature of this Hilbert space is dependent on the system – for example, for describing position and momentum the Hilbert space is the space of complex square-integrable functions , while the Hilbert space for the spin of a single proton is simply the space of two-dimensional complex vectors  with the usual inner product. — Wikipedia (Quantum Physics)

Sample Y:

To be, or to takes, when we have, the slings and their currents turn awry, and lose the mind to sleep to sleep of death what dream: ay, the question: whether bear the mind to sleep; to suffer the name of office, and them? To die: to sleep; no more; and enterprises of great pith a bare bodkin? Who would bear the oppressor's wrong, the heart-ache and scorns of great pith a bare bodkin? — thinkzone.wlonk.com (Gibberish generator)

First things first, not many will get the point I'm trying to get across since many forum members seem educated enough to see the sense in sample X. Speaking for myself, reading sample X gives me a headache; simply put nec caput, nec pedes. I'll have to make myself the test subject.

Turning to sample Y, this too is all Greek to me but note that it's authentic gibberish (the algorithm that generated it claims so).

Sample X (not gibberish) is identical to sample Y (gibberish) with respect to my comprehension ability (both are incomprhensible).

In a sense then, (high levels of) abstraction = gibberish!

Questions:

1. Is there such a thing as gibberish or nonsense? You could be like me, reading/listening to something far more complex and abstract than your mind can handle.

The other side of the coin,

2. Are abstractions, the kind you see in math, physics, philosophy and other intellectual disciplines, inherently meaningless gibberish?
  • Heracloitus
    Is this a serious thread? Are you are genuinely suggesting that something is gibberish just because you don't understand it?
  • Agent Smith
    Not really, I'm trying to explore the similarities between the abstruse and the gobbledygook.

As I made clear, I'm the test subject. There are things that I clearly can't understand even though the high IQ demographic can, with little effort I might add.

Then there are what to me is downright nonsensical (stuff like the one generated by an algorithm, vide OP).

Gibberish has no meaning, comprehension is N/A. Abstruse topics/subjects/discourse has meaning, it's just that I can't wrap my head around it.

The point though is what's the difference between failure to understand and there being nothing to understand? The answer is in the question itself, yes, but I was just wondering if abstraction could itself be a distinct variety of nonsense or, on the flip side, could "nonsense" be abstraction taken to new heights?
  • Agent Smith
    There is a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line. — Oscar Levant
  • Agent Smith
    It's not gibberish! It's English!Goldyluck

:lol:

It's not gibberish, it's Swahili!

Glosslalia/speaking in tongues? I wonder if it's relevant.
  • Agent Smith
    Where has your thread gone?Goldyluck

Limbo! or, as the moderators like to call it, The Lounge.

glosslaliaGoldyluck

Wikipedia has an entry or try Googling. The internet will do a better job of explaining it than I possibly can.
  • Agent Smith
    God moves in a mysterious way. — William Cowper

In connection to a thread on Theodicy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.