• TheMadFool

I've got an issue with presuppositions with regard to free logic and the supposed circularity (question begging) in Descartes' argument and others like it.

You claim that I think, therefore I am is circular because I think, according to you, presupposes that I am.

I've always been a little confused by conditionals. Take the following two statements:

1. If it rains then the ground will become wet [classic entailment: rain makes the ground wet]

2. If you're relying on arguments to make a point then you endorse the utility of logic in making a point [presupposition: arguments presuppose logic]

Come now to Descartes' argument:

3. I think

Ergo,

4. I am

Is this conditional (I think I am) an entailment or a presupposition? Both? Neither?
  • Banno
    Is this conditional (I think → I am) an entailment or a presupposition? Both? Neither?TheMadFool

An entailment.
  • TheMadFool
    Put anther way, in trying to show the validity of "I think therefore I exist" it instead shows that it is circular, that "I think" already supposes that "I exist".

Descartes' argument is valid, but circular.
    Banno

An entailment.Banno

Didn't you say that it was a presupposition?

Perhaps it's both but then that doesn't help, does it?
  • Banno
    "I think" is the assumption; "I think" presupposes the thinker.
  • TheMadFool
    "I think" is the assumption; "I think" presupposes the thinker.Banno

To think, there's got to be a thinker. That's why Descartes' argument works. This is, as you said, an entailment.

I would treat the thinker as a necessary condition to be able to say "I think". Are all necessary conditions presuppositions.

My hunch is: all presuppositions are necessary conditions but not all necessary conditions are presuppositions.
  • frank
    think" is the assumption; "I think" presupposes the thinker.Banno

Which isn't a problem for Descartes' purposes.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.