• Benkei
    So, why exactly is this up for discussion?

If I'd make a clip like that about a female colleague I'd get booted out my job faster than I can say Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. It's funny the Republicans accuse the Democrats of abuse of power when in fact protecting a man from the consequences of his actions because it's politically expedient is the actual abuse.
  • baker
    What exactly are you wondering about?

Another example: A few years back, a minister in the Croatian government was found to be involved in some illegal business. He was investigated by the police. Several other politicians and ministers (who were from other parties) called for him to step down. What did the prime minister do? He removed those ministers from office, on account of not supporting their colleague.

It's how right-wing politics works.
  • tim wood
    It's how right-wing politics works.baker
    We shall take your word for it. And it reinforces the idea that right is not us, but is instead an (the) enemy. And depending on circumstances, not worthy of any consideration. Let them have what they have wanted, worked for, earned, and got, their own enemy fiercer than even them themselves, because armed in right.
  • James Riley
    faster than I can say Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.Benkei

That's why they shortened it to AOC. :grin:

Anyway, stand by for the inevitable whataboutism. 3 . . .2 . . . 1 . . .

P.S. The real danger is not what the right does to the left; the real danger is what the right is doing to keep their own in line. That's what I want the DOJ and the FBI all over.

The only one I know of with the balls to stand up is Cheney. I disagree with her on 97% of the issues but I'd almost support her just for standing up to threats of violence and getting kicked off committees and disowned by the WY Republican Party.
  • baker
    their own enemy fiercer than even them themselves, because armed in right.tim wood

? Can you rephrase that? It's not clear what you mean.
  • James Riley
    Edited to delete comm with a party.

Here is my read on it: The "right" will have created a monster. It will have awoken a sleeping giant. When "the right goes low" the left will only "go high" for so long. Sooner or later the left is going to stand up on it's hind legs like it did in 1776, 1860, and 1941. Hopefully, if there is a victory, they won't be so "left" or magnanimous in victory. Hopefully they will finish the job this time. You know, so their kids won't have to deal with it again in another X number of years.

Either way, the right will have brought it on themselves. Time for them to be a little more tolerant and inclusive of those who don't think, look, act or pray like them.

On the other hand, it could be too late. The left may have neutered itself. I guess we'll see.

P.S. Can anyone imagine if Biden started taking a page from the right's play book? None of the BBB would be going to any state that didn't kiss his butt. The list could go on. And on.
  • NOS4A2
    Seeing a cartoon Gosar running along roof-tops with his samurai sword, and the impending attack on a cartoon giant with AOC’s face superimposed on it, broke my heart. One wonders how a politician could face the adversity of Twitter memes.
  • James Riley
    One wonders how a politician could face the adversity of Twitter memes.NOS4A2

I know, right? I mean people have meltdowns over Dr. Seuss and Big Bird. What's up with that?

(Que my own whataboutism. :wink: Karma.)
  • NOS4A2

AOC was once depicted as a superhero in a comic book and I bet she thought she could fly after reading it. It’s nonsense; one has to wonder how they cope with real problems.
  • James Riley
    It’s nonsense; one has to wonder how they cope with real problems.NOS4A2

Yeah, ask Kathy Griffin. :roll: Or Devin Nunes suing cartoon cow.
  • NOS4A2

Imagine if Gosar held up an AOC or horse mask with blood dripping from it.
  • James Riley
    Imagine if Gosar held up an AOC or horse mask with blood dripping from it.NOS4A2

They'd probably do what the Republicans did and get their panties all up in a knot. :rofl: The point here is, the Right has the thinnest skin in the game. They talk tough but they are the first to start bawling when they have to eat their own medicine.
  • praxis
    It’s nonsenseNOS4A2

It may be nonsense for people who can think for themselves, but Gosar has influence over weak and potentially violent minds.

60c3a68a6d855e00181579e0?width=700
  • NOS4A2

It would be worse than that. This was just a fake cartoon that was obviously not supposed to be taken literally. They took it literally, alright. Him holding a severed head would be grounds for violent reprisal. You’ve already evoked notions of violent revolution because of it.
  • NOS4A2

If they’re so weak-minded it should be easy for someone such as yourself to change them.
  • James Riley
    It would be worse than that. This was just a fake cartoon that was obviously not supposed to be taken literally. They took it literally, alright. Him holding a severed head would be grounds for violent reprisal. You’ve already evoked notions of violent revolution because of it.NOS4A2

Get back to me when the left storms the capital, or starts taking over state houses with their M-Forgeries, or threatening their own with violence for not holding the party line, or cancelling like a Republican in a cake bakery, or denying federal assistance based on affiliation, etc.

Your side is bringing it on themselves, if it ever comes.
  • James Riley
    If they’re so weak-minded it should be easy for someone such as yourself to change them.NOS4A2

You can't fix stupid. Well, Covid can. Maybe a bullet. But the left doesn't like guns and they go high when the right goes low. Unless they use a cartoon, but then the right loses their shit. And they wonder why the left gets verklempt. DOH!
  • NOS4A2

An anime meme is grounds for violence and revolution, apparently. But it might be better for all involved to stick to memes, that is if they could make a good one.
  • James Riley
    An anime meme is grounds for violence and revolution, apparently. But it might be better for all involved to stick to memes, that is if they could make a good one.NOS4A2

Anime meme, or reality T.V. host, or a plastic head held by a known comedian. I think you parse the hair too thin. Besides, it's not the left looking for violence and revolution. I think, wait, let me check the record, oh yeah, they are going for a House Censure. DOH!

But we can agree, it should be well done, or not done at all: at least by elected representatives or the POTUS.
  • NOS4A2

Censure has zero effect beyond political finger-wagging, anyways. So, along with the press and woke social media CEOs, congress will make a big show of it, but that's about the end of it.
  • praxis
    If they’re so weak-minded it should be easy for someone such as yourself to change them.NOS4A2

You don't understand what influence is?
  • James Riley
    Censure has zero effect . . .NOS4A2

Well, it has you in here raising a ruckus. LOL!

Anyway, we all know how the left will jump on the bandwagon with the right, all to burn their own down when they screw up; while the right will circle the wagons, and defend their own to the death. Anyone that fails to kneel before the godfather will be exorcised, ala Cheney. Kind of shows you who the patsy's are.
  • NOS4A2

I like that.

Either way, it is worthy of a laugh, just as it is with the Kathy Griffen thing, as you pointed out.
  • tim wood
    Can you rephrase that? It's not clear what you mean.baker
    How can I rephrase to make it clearer for you if I have no idea what you're unclear on? The idea being that if one side consistently violate rules, eventually they will get an opponent who gets it, such as I imagine James Mattis to be. And I know that real anger can come with age, because sometimes age knows a thing or two. And what our resident primitive says:
    Sooner or later the left is going to stand up on it's hind legs as it did in 1776, 1860, and 1941. Hopefully, if there is a victory, they won't be so "left" or magnanimous in victory. Hopefully they will finish the job this time. You know, so their kids won't have to deal with it again in another X number of years.James Riley
  • James Riley
    Either way, it is worthy of a laugh, just as it is with the Kathy Griffen thing, as you pointed out.NOS4A2

:up: It would be nice if more effort was put in to a laughter that would get both sides rolling on the floor. I don't know if that can even be done any more. In the old days, the roasts at the White House Press dinner were self-depreciating and funny. We've gotten jaundiced.
  • Benkei
    What I was getting at is that these lawmakers pass laws where this behaviour between colleagues is grounds for termination and considered harassment. These people are still colleagues regardless of the fact they represent different interests. It's not about the necessity of AOC having thicker skin, it's about the apparent double standards.
  • ssu
    These people are still colleagues regardless of the fact they represent different interestsBenkei
    ...and should be terminated for harassment or?

Double standards is the other name for politics.
  • James Riley
    It's not about the necessity of AOC having thicker skin, it's about the apparent double standards.Benkei

The double standard is there. But I'm also seeing this:

258764635_1274027313102306_6257915448044934643_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=UaCXv7eZ0ooAX_g4_NR&_nc_ht=scontent-hou1-1.xx&oh=36b9ac08e35d39c9e2537c7cf3e4a294&oe=619BCD8E

And this:

https://stochasticterrorism.blogspot.com/?fbclid=IwAR2EQTHDuXuFWR7UHejmofUrYOn3LIRMXg-qIj4FsWOJObOBMtwTHqwYL64

And as I've said before, the real threat is not what they do to the opposition, but what they are doing to the colleagues on their own side of the isle. If Republicans are forbidden to think or act independently in support of traditional Republican values, even when that would require them to support actions which fly in the face of traditional Republican values, then we have a problem. The FBI and DOJ should be looking at that.

It's one thing to agree with Trump;
    It's one thing to disagree with him but stay with him because you want his base;
    But it's a whole 'nother thing when you disagree with him but stay with him because of threats of violence against you or your family. This latter category may be small, but it may be enough to create a monolithic personality cult that has nothing to do with traditional Republican values.

Liz Cheney is the only one I know of will the balls to stand up. If there are others, they need to stand up and push back. FBI? DOJ? I hope you are doing your job. You know, so we can all respect the rule of law.
  • James Riley

P.S. A distinction can be found here: There was some guy who shot up a bunch of Republican legislators while they were playing a game of baseball. I'm pretty sure that guy did not find his incentive to act in the violent rhetoric of a bunch of Democrat politicians. Both sides have wingnuts, but only one side is inciting violence. Wait . . . before I'm corrected with some isolated example that might be out there in the weeds, let me correct that: Only one side has that pattern reference by AOC, above.

You are correct about the double standard, but that issue pales in comparison to what is really going on here.
  • Benkei
    I think there's an important difference between Regular Joe making an idiotic video and another member of parliament, senate, house or what have you, doing the same. I expect politicians to have thicker skins in order to deal with all the shit they get from citizens that disagree with what they stand for, the policies they enact or when they blame them for whatever unenviable circumstances they might find themselves in.

Being threatened, even as a joke and even aside from what appears to be becoming a tactic, by a peer, who is supposed to be part of the common legislative process in a country is simply in a different ballpark.

And while I support the inviolability of anything said within the legislative body, this in my view doesn't fall within the scope of that protection.

Unfortunately, we've got a jackass in parliament here who is only too happy to emulate this style of "politics". Comparing non-vaccinated to the new Jews, those promoting vaccination as nazis, spreading disinformation while all the while pretending he's "telling it like it is".

Meanwhile, there's definitely stuff to be critical about. They're now discussing the "2G" access rules, which I think is an infringement of personal rights. In that event, only vaccinated or recovered people can enter all sorts of locations (these change continuously because we have a hopeless government with no vision or clue of what they're doing). Currently, if you're not recovered or vaccinated, you need to show a recent PCR test to gain access to various locations. Under 2G testing no longer grants you access.

Personally, I'd rather be in a room with recently tested people who know they were negative yesterday than a room full of vaccinated or recovered people who might be infectious but don't know it. So the rule is also bullshit and just designed to force people to get a vaccination.

EDIT: well, that was a tangent...
  • James Riley

:up: Agreed. Makes you wonder if there is something in the water. I can't imagine being a Holocaust survivor listening to all these equations. :roll:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.