• ucarr
    Whereas we can analyze the existence of a particular thing, existence, in its generality, cannot be analyzed. It can only be acknowledged. This is so because general existence precedes everything, save itself. In other words, perception presupposes general existence.

Perception, following from all existence, including its own, therefore must needs be limited to saluting the extant universe with a hale and hearty “Hello.”

As to the special problem, ontology suffers the slings and arrows of an innate problem of design with respect to PERSPECTIVE which, as quantum mechanics tells us, holds foundational significance vis-à-vis existence.

When confronted with the question of the true nature of general existence, we are compelled by existential logic to first ask, What point of view?

Quantum mechanics has introduced us to some basics of the limits of objectivity. Let’s venture to go one step further by amplifying the focus on perspective. The philosopher, when commissioned with the task of analyzing the general nature of existence, cannot wholly detach the self from the thing examined because it predicates the examiner. This, dear reader, leads us to an apparently insoluble paradox.

If we imagine this configuration flipped around, wherein the examiner predicates the thing examined (which is the message of Logos in the Pentateuch), then said examiner can analyze all of the creations of the self, as it were, because the examining self is their source i.e., the creator of all things examinable (This is a foundational principal of quantum entanglement.).

The limit of Logos is general existence. It cannot be named (and thus the mystery of God’s name).

Here’s the paradox limiting analysis of general existence: the examiner, seeking to analyze general existence, en route to obtaining the necessary detachment for objective observation, must extricate the self from general existence. Since the examiner is subsumed inextricably therein, said self must become greater than itself, an existential impossibility.

Moreover, this existential impossibility seems to apply with equal force to the incorporeal deity, consequently suggesting all such deities inhabit God consciousness, a sub-division of human consciousness.

Here I seem to have arrived at the doorstep of atheism. There is, however, a side-door leading me out of this room. As it turns out, I can take recourse to my great ally, quantum mechanics.

Can the incorporeal Deity transcend the divine self? QM says, “yes” in the form of non-locality. If Deity can effect instantaneous-paradoxical shape-shifting that is multi-directional, so then can human, being designed in Deity’s image.

The human example, par excellence, of instantaneous-paradoxical shape-shifting that is multi-directional is the Trinitarianism of Holy-Father-Holy Ghost-Jesus.

It appears that Christianity has foreshadowed QM by centuries.

Here I seem to have contradicted myself. Well, yes, I have. With egg on my face, I take recourse to QM, which tells us that self-contradiction, known as super-position, gets a waiver, which is to say, “it’s allowed.”

Let’s briefly consider the innate problem of design with respect to perspective as it is put into application via a classical question of philosophy.

Question – Why is there not nothing?

The short answer to this question exemplifies the circular logic that haunts the much-troubled existence-perception relationship.

Answer – It’s because you ask the question.

Explanation – The ability of the questioner to ask the question presupposes perception which, in turn, presupposes existence.
  • Mikie
    I've actually created an entirely new thread partly in response to this here, if you're interested.
  • T Clark

Boy, this is a good post. Some of it stretches beyond my grasp, but it's still interesting. I don't have an overall response, but I have some thoughts.

Whereas we can analyze the existence of a particular thing, existence, in its generality, cannot be analyzed. It can only be acknowledged. This is so because general existence precedes everything, save itself. In other words, perception presupposes general existence.ucarr

I've just been reading Collingwood's "Essay on Metaphysics." He goes through parts of Aristotle's metaphysics and then bends it to his purposes. One thing he talks about that I had to work at was the idea that there is no science of pure being. At the top of the pyramid of what he calls "science," which is broader than what I use that name for, is being. There are no presuppositions that underlie. That seems similar to what you are talking about.

As to the special problem, ontology suffers the slings and arrows of an innate problem of design with respect to PERSPECTIVE which, as quantum mechanics tells us, holds foundational significance vis-à-vis existence.ucarr

I am always skeptical of mixing quantum mechanics, science, with metaphysics. To me it looks like the similarities are metaphorical rather than literal. That's why I disliked "The Tao of Physics." Being would be unapproachable even if reality were classical.

When confronted with the question of the true nature of general existence, we are compelled by existential logic to first ask, What point of view?ucarr

This seems really important to me. In a sense, this is the purpose of metaphysics - to provide us a place to stand while we observe.

The philosopher, when commissioned with the task of analyzing the general nature of existence, cannot wholly detach the self from the thing examined because it predicates the examiner. This, dear reader, leads us to an apparently insoluble paradox.ucarr

I don't think it's insoluble. It may not even be a paradox. The answer - there is no general nature of existence. All there is is our choice of a place to stand. This makes me think strongly of the Tao Te Ching. I can see the unspeakable Tao as the perspectiveless point of the pyramid. It's where you have to surrender to the recognition there is no place to stand.

The human example, par excellence, of instantaneous-paradoxical shape-shifting that is multi-directional is the Trinitarianism of Holy-Father-Holy Ghost-Jesus.ucarr

I have no idea how religion fits into any of this.

It appears that Christianity has foreshadowed QM by centuries.ucarr

Yes, well...ahem.

Why is there not nothing?ucarr

I have never found this a particularly intriguing question. Something exists because it does. It couldn't not. There can't be nothing. Reason - because.
  • T Clark

Oh, yes, welcome to the forum.
  • TheMadFool
    I like your style. It bears the mark of what computer scientists would, one day, refer to, if and when it happens, as an intuitive program (the Oracle).

Magnifique! Carry on!
  • Hermeticus
    As to the special problem, ontology suffers the slings and arrows of an innate problem of design with respect to PERSPECTIVE which, as quantum mechanics tells us, holds foundational significance vis-à-vis existence.ucarr

Every field in philosophy suffers from this. More precisely, any concept of the mind, anything that can not be touched physically - metaphysics, ontology, epistemology, ethics, logic, etc.

The reason is simply - you named it - the lack of objective existence. The only option for us is subjective existence. There may or may not be an objective reality - but we may never know the details because we're bound to subjectivity.

I see it as a common fallacy in philosophy that people merely investigate one of those possible perspectives when talking about a particular topic. Most philosophical problems seem to dissolve when considered in layers - that is, considering a particular subject from multiple angles and acknowledging that different statements (even contradicting ones) are true on different levels.
  • ucarr
    Hello T Clark,
    Big thank-you for your energetic & detailed response.
    I am always skeptical of mixing quantum mechanics, science, with metaphysics. To me it looks like the similarities are metaphorical rather than literal. That's why I disliked "The Tao of Physics." Being would be unapproachable even if reality were classical.
    Yeah. My approach to science (unfortunately) is through the lens of philosophy, whereas, it should be the other way around. When it comes to QM, I'm strictly a lay person & a novice. A legitimate science person can probably hammer my QM interpretations. Even so, without them, I haven't got a leg to stand on. Also, I like the scientific project in general because it impels practitioners to go chasing after difficult questions most people trash.

Hello to TheMadFool (great user name),
    Your profile nails me. Yes. When it comes to cognition, high-speed, low-res feedback looping is my thing. I'm an intuitive. When I start getting too impulsive, I listen to music, which calms me.

Hello to Hermeticus,
    The only option for us is subjective existence. There may or may not be an objective reality - but we may never know the details because we're bound to subjectivity.

This expresses for me, in a nutshell, the reasons for my (deepening) dalliance with existentialism.

I might be wrong in all my judgments, but nonetheless I'm treating them as necessary fictions that guide me forward.

I like to think Bob Mitchum, with many more degrees of cool, might say something like this to Jane Greer.

To My Fellow Travelers,
    Being a glutton for attention, I want to lavish thanks upon you for your time & attention to my ruminations.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment