• TheMadFool
    What I've noticed about how people in general tackle a problem is that at first they try to solve it by themselves and when that turns out to be too difficult or impossible, the next step is look for someone smarter. The assumption is rather obvious - it takes brains to solve problems.

Given this, what's the status on humanity's problems - have we been able to solve any of them? More broadly, are humans and the biosphere we depend on for dear life in harmony? Let's be candid here, the answer is clearly a big NO!

Ergo, by our own logic, we need someone/something more intelligent than us. In other words, this is ticking time bomb scenario - we can continue polluting and devastating nature knowing full well that it spells our doom BUT also pour money into research on AI, let our best minds work on it - the goal is achieve technological singularity and make AI correct and reverse the damage we've done and show us how we could make earth a paradise.

In short, technological singularity as technological ascendancy is not something we have a choice in - it's a sine qua non for life as we know it.
  • dclements
    You've missed my point (↪180 Proof): sentient synthetics will survive us – to carry 'human intelligence' beyond the extinction of human life. This is what Kafka's quote means to me.180 Proof
    I apologize since you are right and I started writing my post before I bothered to read your later posts. In my defense all I can say is that there is often so many posts on a thread that I usually don't have time to read all of them before I write a reply to any post I see.

To be honest when I write a post I'm usually like a little school girl waving her fists in the arm wildly in the air while running into a fight, with no idea if I will make contact with my advisory (or friend) because I'm never really sure if I know what the hell I'm talking about. The only thing I usually can count on is the person I'm arguing with knows as little as I do. However I should know better that when I try to debate with you this isn't the case. I just hope you are able understand that this habit is a hard one to break, and because of that I can seem like an idiot from time to time when I post something. :D
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.