• Raul
    Present times are unique and singular in human history especially in our understanding of our mind-machine: our brain.
    Outstanding discoveries on how our brain works are changing how we understand our mind and how we understand ourselves.
    These discoveries have important implications for philosophy. These implications apply not only to the classical mind-body problem but to a wide spread philosophical topics across ethics, epistemology, metaphysics, aesthetics, etc.
    I propose this group to get together around this topic in order to foster the debate and, hopefully, get a better understanding of that thing that wakes up every morning and gets to sleep every night and that many of us call the Self.
    Hope you join me in this passionate endeavor!

Next November 15th we'll start a bi-weekly group on consciousness, which will discuss the 2019 book by Christof Koch The Feeling of Life Itself - Why Consciousness is Widespread but Can't be Computed.
    We're using Discord to manage the sessions. Let me know if you're interested.
  • Raul
    On November 15th we'll start with informal introductions and we'll start talking about our concepts, definitions of consciousness.
    We'll close by agreeing on book chapters to read and date for next session.
    Only passionate people accepted ! :-)
  • Gnomon

A couple of years ago, I posted a review of The Feeling of Life Itself on my blog. I am generally interested in his ideas, but I can't say that I'm "passionate". FWIW, here's the link :
    The Feeling of Consciousness
    http://bothandblog6.enformationism.info/page18.html
  • Raul
    If you want to join us you're more than welcome. :wink:
  • Daemon
    I'd like to join in.

David Mitchell on "Passion": https://youtu.be/Bz2-49q6DOI
  • Gnomon
    If you want to join us you're more than welcome. :wink:Raul
    I might be interested in an open-ended Discussion, but not a Yes-or-No Debate. :smile:
  • Raul
    As announced at the top of this thread, the first Tertulia is happening next Monday.
    We already have a very good quorum of contertulios but if anyone still interested let me know.
    We'll talk the definition of consciousness.
  • Raul
    With new technologies like AI challenging justice, ethics, emotions, etc. it is necessary for humans to get a theory of consciousness and the Self asap.
    Tomorrow we'll be talking what is consciousness for us?
    When were you first conscious?
    Is consciousness localized in the brain?
    What are the boundaries and relationship between conscious and unconscious?
    What is the difference between consciousness and self-consciousness?
    This and much more tomorrow Nov 15th at 20h30 CET in the Discord's Philosophy Bookclub / Philosophy of Mind group.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment