• TheMadFool
    With your leave, I'd like to start a thread on philosophical videos. The objective is to post a video that caught your eye, got you thinking, made you wonder, resonated with your worldview, caused you to go "Eureka!"

You may also add a comment with the vidoe, maybe an anecdote, an explanation, an insight, a summary mentioning salient points.

If you want to discuss the topic covered by the videos please start a separate thread and discuss it there. I want to, fingers crossed, devote this thread to videos only. Thank you.

I'll go first.

The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a hypothetical cognitive bias stating that people with low ability at a task overestimate their own ability, and that people with high ability at a task underestimate their own ability. — Wikipedia

Anecdote

A person I knew a few thousand years ago related to me his educational experience. In high school he recalled his biology textbook - all human biology - each system in the body covered in about 10-12 pages. The chapter on the eye was easy peasy. It was simple.

Then he went to medical school and it got tougher. The chapter on the eye became a whole book, intricate details of which he had to commit to memory. It wasn't that simple.

He decided to become an ophthalmologist and although, from his past experience, he had prepared for the worst his jaws hit the floor when he was informed he had to read a 2 volume book, each at least a 1000 pages, on just the retina. It was mind-bogglingly complex, the eye.

Please continue.

P. S. Please don't post the videos addressed to me. Thanks.
  • GraveItty
    Incompleteness. Math has a fatal flaw. Veritasium. I liked it.
  • ssu
    Please continue.TheMadFool

Incompleteness. Math has a fatal flaw. Veritasium. I liked it.GraveItty

Dangerous Knowledge.

94071-dangerous-knowledge-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg?k=d0239862be

I know.

A lot will hate this BBC documentary about Mathematics, the foundations of Math and the incompleteness results, but it's a great series to watch. Not your boring math lecture. If you aren't so familiar with Cantor, Gödel, Turing or Boltzmann. Now perhaps not an "Eureka!" moment, but something very pleasing to watch after reading books about the subject. It's in five part at dailymotion. The link for the first episode below:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdoe8u
  • ssu
    Another quality BBC Documentary: Genius of the Modern World - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Verdi

Although by many considered as a clown, he seemed to have some real insight in the workings of science, although he didn't consider himself a philosopher of science.
  • TheMadFool
    Definition of tantalize:

From Tantalus (Ancient Greek Τάνταλος (Tántalos)) in Greek mythology, who was condemned to Tartarus in the underworld. There, he had to stand for eternity in water that receded from him when he stooped to drink, beneath fruit trees whose branches were always out of reach.

1. (transitive) to tease (someone) by offering something desirable but keeping it out of reach(transitive)

2. to bait (someone) by showing something desirable but leaving them unsatisfied

• SatmBopd
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeKEVRKEoms&t=2792s

One of the most interesting lecturers I've ever heard. This is one of many of his videos that stood out to me.
  • TheMadFool

The value of a human life = $10 million. We're all decamillionaires.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.