• Sir2u
    Writing mathematics programs in BASIC. Love that language.jgill

Yeah those were the days. I have not done anything in BASIC in years. I kind of got into
    Small Basic which is kind of cool and used it for programming introduction courses for kids. But I have not done that for years either.
  • jgill
    Yeah those were the daysSir2u

Look at my icon, from a BASIC program on infinite compositions of complex functions. :cool:
  • Sir2u
    Cool. I was never into math that much but I liked to make objects bounce around the screen and draw patterns. Made a few screen savers back when they were still used.
  • Benkei
    playing piano, daily, like:(shitty piano and recording))
    composing music (infrequently, like:
    writing
    reading
    role-playing games (dndbeyond.com)
    computer games (currently: Chaos Gate, Hades, Slay the Spire)
  • Lionino
    Academic(-ish): philosophy (duh!), physics, conlanging, and to a lesser but still decent extent mathematics and linguistics. Back during the pandemic I was into physical anthropology, but I grew tired of the field.
    Non-academic: gym, skiing (gotta learn how to snowboard), reading, and to a lesser extent writing and games. I enjoy debating but it is more of a toxic trait than hobby.
  • Moliere
    Pizza - anything from Margherita, to seafood - clam, scallops, shrimp, to goat cheese sun dried tomatoes and asparagus, to chicken tikka masala, to appleFooloso4

Sounds like you'd accept pineapple, on some occasions.

White pizza too, I think.

But have you tried Barbecue Pizza?

(to be clear, this is an abomination to me that many people i know love lol)
  • Fooloso4
    I would try pineapple but my wife says no.

I do a few variations on white. With ricotta or without.

I do not recall doing barbecue. The tikka masala started as a joke. We were talking about what to make next and my son said tikka masala. If he had said barbecue I would have tried it, We like the tikka masala on occasion but the barbecue might have been one and done.
  • Moliere
    Hah! OK maybe you'd like it!

If you ever get to chance pineapple, I recommend it with spicey things -- my favorite way to have the "forbidden" fruit is with pepperoni and jalapenos. The sweet-acid adds just the rights amount of counter-balancing flavor for me.

I don't like BBQ cuz it's too sweet for bread-cheese, for me -- no matter how much meat is there. If I'm hungry of course I'll eat what's presented, but it's just not what I'm looking for in the combo. (though many of my loved ones like it)
  • Fooloso4
    I think I might like pineapple. I usually make 2 or 3 pizzas, so maybe I will!

I don't think I would like a pizza with the sweet red stuff called BBQ sauce. That is why I have not tried it, or if I did I did not find it memorable.
  • AmadeusD
    No longer able to call Philosophy a hobby - which is good and bad. Outside Phil though:

- Brazillian Jiu jitsu;
    - Drums, voice, guitar, bass, keys.. few others, including Irish Whistle!;
    - Songwriting in light of the above - 23 albums and counting;
    - Free Running/Parkour (mostly handstands and other power moves);
    - Writing comedy for television and other stand-ups;
    - Writing battle raps that will never see the light of day (though, there is footage of me doing several battles out there on the internet... )
    - Collecting/enjoying Whisky/ey and fine Wine;
    - Currently Learning Spanish and Arabic;
    - Trying to solve the origins of the Voynich manuscript;
    - Visiting puppy litters; and
    - Writing science fiction (two pieces, thus far.. but one is a Trilogy for which i've only begun the first volume).
  • L'éléphant
    I'm ashamed. I'm not near that talent.
  • Benkei
    Writing battle raps that will never see the light of dayAmadeusD

I'll cut your throat with monofilament wires
    Liquefy your insides like the ebola virus
    Get medieval on your ass with blowtorch and plyers
    And scatter the parts like Seth did Osiris

How am I doing so far? :razz:
  • Benkei
    Eating Persimmonsjavi2541997

Que?
  • Benkei
    No digital games – for me, they automate (eliminate) too much players' improvisational creativity (since all possible actions / reactions are already scripted (coded) in the program), fully cybernetic illusionism / railroading.180 Proof

I like skill based games, like Hades, or tactical like, Chaos Gate.

And I do like RPGs even if there's less freedom than tabletop. A well told story you can influence the outcomes of? Count me in. Favourites include the recent Baldur's Gate 3 and the even more brilliant Palenscape: Torment.
  • ssu
    This place! What better way to inform yourself about philosophy and current event than discuss them with you guys.

I've been an avid computer gamer, but I like simulators. Having flown sailplanes in my youth, Microsoft Flight Simulator has only now come to the level where it's really quite authentic and you can navigate actually by looking at the lakes, swamps and urban areas (even if the detail still isn't to individual buildings). The only thing missing is the feeling in your butt, the actual roller coaster ride that flying a sailplane, soaring, is. The sights and sounds are how it is. Then Kerbal Space Program is one of my top simulators, the way you can easily learn how flights to the moon and other planets actually happen. And many other simulators and wargames. Wargames as board games are great, but computers help so much in calculating everything.

Now when older, walking and swimming are the type of exercise that an old guy not in shape likes.
  • Noble Dust
    23 albums and counting;AmadeusD

:gasp: and I thought my 9 not including EPs and bands was a lot for a hobbyist. Comfortable sharing any links? PM is fine. No worries if not.
  • Noble Dust

Good technique. :up: you studied piano right? I didn’t know the Addinsell piece either, sounds interesting.
  • Benkei
    Thanks! Private lessons yes until I was 17 and some off and on after that. Now I mostly study on my own. And my technique is somewhere between a monkey and Horowitz. I never think it's that good but suspect every musician has this problem.

Even Horowitz in Der letzte Romantiker finishes a piece (which is of course brilliant) and then says "I cannot do better". Insane.
  • Noble Dust

Nice. Somewhat similar for me, took piano lessons from my mom who is a private piano teacher (one of two jobs) from about age 9 to 13, reached a high intermediate level, then picked it back up in college after focusing on guitar and drums in the interim. I’ve really picked it back up in the past 5 years and want to write some proper classical-ish piano music but have only dabbled; keeps getting pushed to the back burner in favor of other musical projects. The only video of me playing is on instagram; here’s a link although I’m not sure if it will work; I think you at least need an instagram account to view.

https://instagram.com/p/B7_8NhXlpsz/
  • Benkei
    Noice. A kind of blue vibe.
  • jgill
    - Brazillian Jiu jitsu;
    - Writing battle raps that will never see the light of day (though, there is footage of me doing several battles out there on the internet... )
    - Writing science fiction (two pieces, thus far.. but one is a Trilogy for which i've only begun the first volume).
    AmadeusD

Are you real, Amadeus, or are you an AI bot? :gasp:
  • ssu
    Lol. That's too expensive for me, at least!

And of course the feeling is extremely limited. It won't give you the feeling what's it like to be in a spin. You can get easily 2,5G even in a sailplane when making hard turns or a loop. Just put the speed over 200km/h and you'll get the momentum. Soaring is easily like being in a huge roller coaster, although it's far more softer as there are no tracks that make roller coaster bumpy and uncomfortable. After learning to fly, I never felt car sickness anymore.

The good thing in aircraft simulators is that you indeed give the same input (use the throttles and the stick similarly) and for computers it's easy to calculate the physics of the plane. Thus modern sims are really helpful. But human motion isn't so and there's so many ways you can walk that simply cannot be "played" well on a computer. So I'm not a great enthusiast of FPS or sport games.
  • AmadeusD
    None of this indicates I have any talent :lol: Just tenacity.

How am I doing so far? :razz:Benkei

Hahah, this is genuinely the type of stuff I used to write. But, battle rap is very homophobic so it takes a certain type of skin to get on with it.

When I roll up, you fold up like confessing to a priest
    Like a warlord in Africa, i'm coming for your teeth
    Told you schmucks I'm the Lord here in these streets
    Put here by God, you can't see me, like a ding-en sich.

Please kill me.

:gasp: and I thought my 9 not including EPs and bands was a lot for a hobbyist. Comfortable sharing any links? PM is fine. No worries if not.Noble Dust

To be clear, I spent about a decade doing drugs and recording music. It wasn't a great time, but the resulting media is meaningful to me haha. Here's something from my Soundcloud. As you can see, this hasn't been updated in years... and every thing on it is demo - though, technically that's true for everything I've ever done bar one studio recording for a friends audio engineering course lol. I don't have access to the laptop with my library on it currently, but It's safe.

Any of your own?

Are you real, Amadeus, or are you an AI bot? :gasp:jgill

Trying to be real! Hahah. Music above, Jiu Jitsu here but I've just realised it's private :( Here you can see I was nominated for a National comedy award (fifth row down, on the right).

I'm at work and can't find links for most of hte other stuff, but you get the picture. It's all horrid, but i'm doing it all! LOL

I also complete forgot to mention that I also spent abotu a decade advocating for Psychedelics in medicine in New Zealand and abroad. It was semi-successful and we got a couple of studies done, but I became disillusioned and moved away from it about 18 months ago.

And i used to lecture at Universities about Ancient History ala Graham Hancock. In fact, he is a good friend of mine. Yes. I am now showing off.
  • javi2541997
    Que?Benkei

Didn't you ever try kakis, benkei? :razz: I don't know why they are translated into English as persimmons.
  • Benkei
    I just don't understand how it's a hobby!
  • javi2541997
    I honestly consider eating a hobby. :lol:
  • Tom Storm
    Brazillian Jiu jitsu;
    AmadeusD

Very industrious. I have no hobbies.

The closest thing to a hobby I had was 20 years drinking whisky and meeting strangers in bars. Loved almost every minute of that, but quit to save my liver.
  • AmadeusD
    ooof that distorted bass (is it sub synth?) goes hard on Our Bones. Really enjoy the cut rhythm too! Thank you dude :)

If you’re of the type, I recommend Crumbling Jazz off of my Soundcloud. 16 minutes. Was spamming Pink Floyd at the time. Some of my best guitar work by far. It’s better high
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.