• Thunderballs
    As a small boy, Derek was at home alone. That is, his mom and dad were out and only the nanny (who also was the housekeepster) was there. He has some kind of mental affliction which makes him behave unlike other people. He constantly moves his body. and is the incarnation of politeness (though Tourette hits strongly...damned prick!... once and a while, like tic).

There was a piano in the house. Derek, on that lonely night, wanted to give it a go. What followed popped out the eyes and ears of the nanny. He played "Cockles and Mussels" without ever practiced it! How is that possible? By his approach to the piano?
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    Is it possible that he had seen it played before, remembered the process with a photographic memory, then practiced the finger movements without a piano?
  • Thunderballs
    Is it possible that he had seen it played before, remembered the process with a photographic memory, then practiced the finger movements without a piano?Metaphysician Undercover

Exactly what I thought! There is a kid who drew the whole city view after seeing it from a helicipter!
  • Metaphysician Undercover

If you watch the Elton John movie Rocketman, it is implied that young Elton (or whatever his real name was) had the same sort of talent. He would just sit down at the piano and play a tune that he had heard, or seen played, without ever having practiced it.
  • Thunderballs
    If you watch the Elton John movie Rocketman, it is implied that young Elton (or whatever his real name was) had the same sort of talent. He would just sit down at the piano and play a tune that he had heard, or seen played, without ever having practiced it.Metaphysician Undercover

Yes! I didn't realize that! Elton is not autistic for sure. He controls the piano as if it is his voice! I haven't seen the movie though. I saw a film about Queen, a young Beatle in an alternative universe (think it's called yesterday), and many others ("The Doors" was good but Manzarek didnt like it at all). The movie about Joy Division was great (Anton Corbijn). Not too relevant for here though. I have a longing now to play the piano blindly. Expressing directly the melody I envision...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment