• Voidrunner
    Did thinkers discover meaningfulness as a concept immanent to an individual’s existence at a certain stage of civilizational development so that before this explicit discovery human interactions were, though tacitly, still based on an (even if vague) intuition of meaning? What do you think of this way of viewing the origin of meaning? To be clear the aforementioned „meaning” is used in the broadest sense and signifies both the meaning we find in an interlocutor’s words, observe in pieces of art, ascribe to life or deduce from a text.

The reason I’m curious about the question is that a positive response to it might have extensive consequences for a conscious perception of reality. Instead of having two rather popular oculars for seeing the world from either a nihilistic-relativism point or a mechano-scientism perspective both of which pose their own threats to the subsistence of meaning, we may miss a third enriching option which avoids self-annulment.

In the philosophy of language exists an entire field of inquiry called “foundational theories of meaning”, where different approaches strive for investigating the very core of any discourse (at least I suppose it to be such)- the nature of meaning and what it means to understand meaning. Is it controversial to state, that in the very heart of any philosophical discussion lies the silent belief (in case the content has already passed the person’s selection of attention-worthy and understandable matter), that the ideas conveyed have meaning even if wrong in a logical or objective sense? I suppose it’s not, however insights for the contrary would be extremely interesting and useful.

Moving on: the mere fact that foundational theories treat meaning as a given phenomenon(correct me if I’m wrong) is fascinating, because then meaning(in a narrower sense, but still) could be regarded as an inherent part of the world(=absolutely everything), since humans are its particle already. The nature of necessity and universal continuity additionally to the discovered/invented(=approximated to the actual state of affairs) naturalistic laws then also finds its expression in the very semantic experiences sentient beings have.
  • RussellA
    origin of meaningVoidrunner

I would suggest that rather than meaning being an inherent part of the world, it is rather an inherent part of sentient life, believed to have begun during the Cambrian period.

Taking the specific example of the mollusc, which evolved about 541 to 485 million years ago. The mollusc's behaviour is extremely diverse, and light plays a critical part in its life cycle.

In our terms, bright light to the mollusc means heat and dryness and shade means desirable damp and shelter

One could discuss whether such behaviour is innate or intelligent, and whether conscious or not, but regardless, as light is part of the mollusc's phenomenological perception of reality, light must have significant meaning to the creature.

IE, meaning existed pre-language.
  • tim wood
    Did thinkers discover meaningfulness as a concept immanent to an individual’s existence at a certain stage of civilizational development so that before this explicit discovery human interactions were, though tacitly, still based on an (even if vague) intuition of meaning?Voidrunner

I suspect that Og, in his primordial world, found meaningful all kinds of things. And a modern example: the fellow who studied monkey-chatter in the jungle, learning from it one day while out on a walk that he was being stalked by the local big cat. And btw, Og is not necessarily human.

Perhaps the question should be when people first found the time to think about things in a detached and reflective way. Extant literature suggests individuals contemplating and meditating for a long time, but it does not appear to have become much of a thing until language, writing, and culture in coming together in particular ways let it explode, and that first in Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean c. 500 BCE.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.