• MonfortS26
    What role does society play? What should it's purpose be?
  • TimeLine
    We communicate to each other, so, we learn. Its purpose is to enable us with the tools to transcend to a consciousness where we can think independently; when we reach that state of mind, happiness becomes the protection of society' moral wellbeing and peace so that others can achieve the same freedom.
  • TheMadFool
    A society is an extension of the ego. The one ''i' gets absorbed into the collective ''we''. Ironically these ''we's'' display characteristics of the ''i'' e.g. self-preservation. Of course, that takes us back to square one as different groups of ''we's'' conduct themselves as ''i's'', albeit at a different level.

Perhaps society forms as a means of cashing in on opportunities and facing threats efficiently and successfully. For the moment, despite globalization, there are many ''we's''/groups (countries, nations, counties, villages, etc.). Hence conflict prevails at so many different levels.
  • schopenhauer1

You may want to see this related thread on society, institutions, and questioning why we maintain and continue institutions.
    http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/1113/the-implication-of-social-contract-on-social-relations#Item_140
  • Terrapin Station
    Well, society is kind of unavoidable, especially once you have enough people in a small enough area that they have to interact. But it's also unavoidable in order for humans to even be here. Folks need to interact for the species to continue. Plus if you want food, clothes, etc. that you don't want to have to gather, catch, make etc. yourself.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment