• James Riley
    Thank you teachers, for your patience.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I am Thankful that when I am able to slingshot myself across the room and onto the floor, trying to multitask while putting on my bra, that I am capable of getting back up to a standing position.
  • James Riley

Getting back up would indeed be worth some gratitude. And a video recording. :lol:
  • James Riley
    Thank you feet! Oh, what I have put you through! And to think, you actually like it. Awesome.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I'm thankful that I know what pain is....
    So that in the future the love will feel soft
  • James Riley
    Thank you Goshawk, for waking me.
  • James Riley
    Thank you Red Tail, for watching my gifts.
  • James Riley
    Thank you Raven, for reminding me to speak my own tongue.
  • James Riley
    Thank you elk, for humbling me.
  • Nils Loc
    Thank you angry sperm whale who rammed and sunk the whaling ship Essex in 1820. Otherwise we might not have the horrendous account of survival from its crew, exemplifying human resilience, and the inspiration for Herman Melville's Moby Dick.

“Consider the subtleness of the sea; how its most dreaded creatures glide under water, unapparent for the most part, and treacherously hidden beneath the loveliest tints of azure. Consider also the devilish brilliance and beauty of many of its most remorseless tribes, as the dainty embellished shape of many species of sharks. Consider, once more, the universal cannibalism of the sea; all whose creatures prey upon each other, carrying on eternal war since the world began.

Consider all this; and then turn to the green, gentle, and most docile earth; consider them both, the sea and the land; and do you not find a strange analogy to something in yourself? For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half-known life. God keep thee! Push not off from that isle, thou canst never return!”
    — Herman Melville: Moby Dick
  • James Riley
    Thank you rock for reminding me of you.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for being here in my time of need. :pray:
  • praxis

Essex_photo_03_b.jpg

The men suffered severe dehydration, starvation, and exposure on the open ocean, and the survivors eventually resorted to eating the bodies of the crewmen who had died. When that proved insufficient, members of the crew drew lots to determine whom they would sacrifice so that the others could live. — Wikipedia

Yikes, those dudes were hardcore. Thank you full refrigerator and dry land.
  • Nils Loc
    Thanks to the hardworking USPS who is probably so tired of delivering an infinity of boxes by now to shitty entitled customers that they've decided to give up. My box full of advanced consumption materials must have been swallowed by a whale by now.

Except for the employee at the local office who was born to take the "service" out of customer service.
  • James Riley
    Thank you little cloud, for mocking/teasing my tilt toward entitled privilege back in the day.
  • James Riley
    Thank you insecurity, for honing my edge. Let's get it on!
  • James Riley
    Thank you bison, for growing my heart with the seeds you have sewn.
  • Nils Loc
    Thanks Hasui Kawase (1883-1957) for all the landscapes.

aU4qZSK.jpg

KGWcEX5.jpg

SCOZ1DR.jpg
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Thank you for being true to your authentic self :flower:
  • praxis
    Thank you William Shatner for taking a risk and being the oldest fucker to ever be expelled into outer space, and for being such a dramatic actor.

• James Riley
    Thank you, cast iron skillet.
  • tim wood
    Running up hills is hard. I discovered that with each step I could repeat in my mind, "Thank you, hill; thank you hill; thank you hill...". And the day came when the hill simply leveled itself, just like a lowering treadmill. A distinct and astonishing physical sensation. No doubt a result of conditioning; the hill is still there as it always was, but level when I ran it. (It has in the years since recovered itself; do victories last forever?)

And "Thank you, log," when chopping wood; "Thank you snow," shoveling snow. "Thank you, box," while moving. And I have learnt that when I cannot say "thank you," then is the time to redouble effort and say it again even more gladly and appreciatively than before. And sometimes on long trails, "Thank you distance!" As if to say, don't let this trial be one inch shorter than it is, that I may have the entire glory of it.

To be sure, though, not for all situations.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.