• Alkis Piskas
    Whats around my body is my environment.Prishon
    OK, but I asked you: "But what about the other bodies that you see around?" Where do they belong?
  • Prishon
    OK, but I asked you: "But what about the other bodies that you see around?" Where do they belong?Alkis Piskas

They stay, like me, between their inner world and their outer, physical world. We share things about that outer world and inner world. We share similar outer worlds and inner worlds.
  • Alkis Piskas
    "... what about the other bodies that you see around?" Where do they belong?
    — Alkis Piskas
    They stay, like me, between their inner world and their outer, physical world. We share things about that outer world and inner world. We share similar outer worlds and inner worlds.
    Prishon
    I see. So other persons' bodies are not part of your environment, i.e. part of the physical world. They belong to some other dimension, in some other universe. Is this what you mean?
    If this is so, how comes that you can see them and touch them?
  • Prishon
    So other persons' bodies are not part of your environmentAlkis Piskas

I didnt say that. Other people as well as animals, are in between the two worlds. For you, my body is part of your physical world. And you can look at my brain like being part of it as well (neural scans, brain wave detectors, drug behavior in my brain, etc.). But for me, being the body that types to you now, the "essence, magical" part of the dual stuff has expressed in my inner world. You can never feel what I (my body) see in this inner world (thoughts, imagination, which resolves the issue who thinks: thoughts just are part of my inner world and I see them; no one does the thinking; my thoughts are not mine, though I can love some of them and consider them mine or likable as the thoughts I have right now).
  • Prishon
    Yes, of course, but that is an old, tried and true device used by philosophers to illustrate certain points of truth.Michael Zwingli

??? How can you know the truth by using something that can never exist?
  • Michael Zwingli
    See here, where it is perhaps expounded upon more eruditely than can I: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
  • Alkis Piskas
    For you, my body is part of your physical worldPrishon
    There's a single physical world. Its perception by each person, i.e. each person's reality ("inner world", as you call it) regarding the physical world, is different. We live in the same universe. Our reality regarding it differs in general, but we also share a common reality about parts of it.

But for me, being the body that types to you now, the "essence, magical" part of the dual stuff has expressed in my inner world.Prishon
    Yes, your inner world is certainly not part of the physical universe. But this reality does not rest in the body-brain (physical universe).

Regarding the body and the self, I remember the famous Polanski's dilemma in his film "The Tenant":
    If I cut off my hand, you say me and my hand.
    If I cut off my leg, you say me and my leg.
    If I take out my kidney, liver and intestines, you say me and my intestines ...
    But if I cut off my head, do you say me and my head or me and my body?

(There are other minor versions too.)
  • Prishon
    Yes, your inner world is certainly not part of the physical universe. But this reality does not rest in the body-brainAlkis Piskas

The inner world, being the expression of essence only, is the content of the physical matter. That what you see if you look to my brain. You see the difference, I feel the difference.
  • Alkis Piskas

Hi. I have asked you to disconnect the statement "some memory seems to be stored in cells/tissues outside of the brain, in other parts of the body" from my name, but the connection is still there. Can you please either delete that post or remove my name from it? (It's the post https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/587299)
    Thank you.
  • Prishon

I have changed the question already long time ago.
  • Alkis Piskas

OK, but first please handle your post https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/587299 as I requested previously. OK?
  • Prishon

What should be fixed still?
  • Alkis Piskas

Nothing. You fixed it. Thank you!
  • EnPassant
    The mind exists in God. When the mind thinks it moves through God/eternity. Thought is an exploration of possibility. The brain, like a television, is only a processor. It does not create the film, soundtrack, script, actors or scenery. These comes from an external source. Likewise with thought, it originates in being and is configured by the brain.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.