• frank
    China threatens to Japan with nuclear attack.

Forget the coronavirus, forget Afghanistan, forget climate change, China is threatening "continuous" nuclear attack on Japan over possible interference with Taiwan.

Really? Can't we sit down and talk first?

What does this mean for the world's future as China heads toward super power status?
  • Baden

Not China per se, but some local party hack. I'd take it about as seriously as the pronouncements of the Arizona Republican party.
  • frank
    Not China per se, but some local party hack. I'd take it about as seriously as the pronouncements of the Arizona Republican party.Baden

But reposted by the Arizona government, right?

"... deleted after amassing more than 2 million views—but not before it was reposted by the official party account in Baoji, Shaanxi province."

Who is the intended audience? Japan? Or internal to China?
  • Baden

I doubt there was much thought put into it. It was a stupid tweet that I guess the big boys in Beijing told the little guys in Baoji to disappear. I mean Baoji is relatively tiny and unimportant on a national level. Not that this type of crap doesn't tend to be popular internally. Even my own generally enlightened students in China had a willing streak of xenophobia in them. I just wouldn't take it to be reflective of party policy in any meaningful way.
  • frank

I see. It's just exuberance among the little guys. :up:
  • James Riley

I certainly hope you are correct. The problem, as I see it, is the guy who put it up probably earned some cred in the eyes of a few in Beijing who agree. Kind of like Marjorie Taylor Green, those governor's in FL and TX, and other stupid people; they prove their loyalty to nationalist BS and are shelved until needed. Going back further, think Tea Party. I think the thread title says it all.

Digression story: Many years ago I had some Chinese kids working for me one summer. At the beginning of their tour, while getting to know each other, I took them on their lap tops to a bunch of sites they could not access at home and showed them the Tiananmen Square stuff. I told them they guy in front of the tank was a hero in America. At the end of their tour, I took them out with me as I shot a bison for some meat. They helped me gut, skin, quarter and pack it. Then I let them burn up a couple thousand rounds with my arsenals of evil black weapons. One of them asked me if all Americans had guns. I lied, of course, and said yes. He asked why, so I lied again and said so we can kill anyone that needs killing. Don't want our government getting all upitty. They all looked at each other, but kept having fun with the weapons. I gave them some empty brass to take home but I'm not sure if their government let them have it. Anyway, fun times. If I recall, Hilary was over there at the time doing diplomacy so I thought I'd do my part.
  • Baden

That's my guess fwiw.

The problem, as I see it, is the guy who put it up probably earned some cred in the eyes of a few in Beijing who agree. Kind of like Marjorie Taylor Green, those governor's in FL and TX, and other stupid people; they prove their loyalty to nationalist BS and are shelved until needed. Going back further, think Tea Party. I think the thread title says it all.James Riley

Probably, though if he stepped out of line with the wrong people, it might hurt him. Image is everything. China wants to be seen as strong and the good guys.
  • James Riley
    though if he stepped out of line with the wrong people, it might hurt him.Baden

True. I forgot that when you step out of line in the U.S. you don't really get hurt the way you might in China.
  • frank
    That's my guess fwiw.Baden
    But why now? Have the little guys been doing this all along and we didn't notice? Or did something change?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment