• Prishon
    The song "Viva la Vida" by Coldplay is a song wigh a perfect syncope. As I experience it. The transition from one tone to the final part where the other singer starts to shoutsing (or singshout) is thrilling. Wow, what an experience.

Still it's unclear to me what he sings. It's up to the one listening but still I wanna know what went on in his head when he wrote that song. I wished I could sing a song like that. It would be a hit!
  • Noble Dust
    What I want to know is how Joe Satriani can be so self important as to think that Chris Martin has ever even listened to Satriani before, let alone rip off this song:

• Write on Writer
    I don't pretend to know the meaning of any song. Perhaps there is not one particular meaning to any. But we can try.

It feels as if the author identifies himself with the person of Jesus Christ. Many lyrics come straight out of the New Testament of the Bible. 'Never an honest word' probably is self-criticism and criticism of the church and christianity. After all, there is a strong connection between European colonialism and christianity. Spreading the gospel and converting the indigenous peoples was part of the policy. The Spanish title might refer to the Spanish Empire.

This is just one interpretation. Maybe it's way too negative. Let me know what you think
  • James Riley

Maybe the Roman Catholic Church itself. Seems like they are the ones that have fallen, relatively.

I don't know either one of these guys, but I just listened to both and I can see a strong resemblance. But I've got a tin ear and don't know shit about music.
  • Noble Dust

Both tracks are very similar. Music copyright law is very weird. I think the Coldplay track counted as being a copyright violation, even though I guarantee you Chris Martin from Coldplay never listened to Joe Satriani in his life, so in that sense, Coldplay kind of got fucked.

Edit: the idea being that they both wrote similar melodies independently from one another totally at random.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.