• ernestm
    When I was 35, I started work in a Japanese company. A friend there told me this on my first day. "If you are going to be successful here, you have to unlearn everything you think you know. I'll give you an example. Our logo is red. In the USA, red means stop, or danger. In Asia, it means a party. In this company, you are part of a red parade, and there is nothing you knew that can help you find your place in it. That will be done for you. When you started here, you gave up everything you knew. You are a like a baby that needs bottle feeding to us. Don't make it more difficult for yourself by thinking you know what is right better than others decide is right for you." That is how philosophy really works. Do not think you know an answer because you imagined it. Lots of people have been imagining answers a long time. When you understand their answers, rather than think of your own, that is when you are truly a philosopher. The more philosophers in history you can understand, the better a philosopher you become. Have a milk bottle and take your place in line.
  • Nils Loc
    I hope you aren't ever caught wearing 禁色 if you haven't earned it by merit.
  • ernestm
    Thank you for the thought. :)
  • jkop
    It would take time travel to unlearn something already learned. If they want you to learn and use their methods instead of your methods, then would you thereby unlearn something? Knowledge, skills, methods, habits and such can be revised or replaced, not unlearned.
  • ernestm
    lol, but that assumes you actually have a will in that which you learn, an assumption missing from Japanese thought. They have no concept of self. There is only a mask.

It strikes me as funny that everyone attacks the story and ignores the conclusion. The same happened on Facebook.
  • jkop
    lol, but that assumes you actually have a will in that which you learnernestm

Where is it assumed? Lay it out for me.

It strikes me as funny that everyone attacks the story and ignores the conclusion.ernestm

What conclusion?
  • ernestm
    What I did, as this didnt go the way I expected, was start another thread, for which the prior paragraph in this thread will be a preface:

http://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/1168/natural-law-rights-and-the-usas-social-contract

Thank you for your thoughts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.