• TheMadFool
    I was just going around visiting colleagues in my office when something caught my eye - it had a fancy shape, a dispensing spout, it had an overall appearance of a woman's lotion container. I asked, "what's this?", picking it up with both hands. The reply, "hand sanitizer"

I'd been so absorbed in my own thoughts that I'd forgotten the pandemic ravaging the world since Dec 2019.

Anyway, there were some PCs lying around and people were busy typing away or in a mouse-clicking frenzy. Then this popped into my head - the mind's been compared to computers for a very long time now.

So, suppose the mind is a computer. All ideas then are apps/software/programs that can be downloaded and run on the mind. Hand sanitizers and masks then must be like antivirus and anti-malware programs - keeping the mind healthy and free from viruses, worms, and other kinds of malware. Then I think of memes and meme-plexes, kind courtesy of famed atheist Richard Dawkins.

So, my request to you all, one friendly mind to another:

1. Which programs/apps/software do you recommend that I install?

2. Which antivirus/anti-malware program should I install?

3. Which malware should I be extra cautious of?

4. What about a firewall?
  • Sir2u
    Your brain brings a complete software packet. All you need to do with each piece of software is activate it at the moment of need.
  • Nils Loc

It's too late, Mad. You should have installed antiphilosophy software before you got the bug.

You could try an antismoking script but then again what would life be like for a caffeine addict who has to voluntarily avoid it? Terrible.
  • TheMadFool
    Your brain brings a complete software packetSir2u

Details? Names? Purpose?

antismokingNils Loc

On target! I'm a chimney!

antiphilosophyNils Loc

What's that?
  • Sir2u
    Details? Names? Purpose?TheMadFool

Problem solving, built in software that is activated at birth.

Species continuity, activated at adolescence.
  • TheMadFool
    Problem solving, built in software that is activated at birth.

Species continuity, activated at adolescence.
    Sir2u

:up:

Problem solving app. Either I don't have one or it's outdated. I never seem able to solve problems. What's yours like? Can I have a look at your? What features does it have? How much is it? What's its track record like? Etc.

Species continuity, activated at adolescence.Sir2u

Yes, it did come online many suns ago and I believe, given the right conditions, it still performs well enough.

My concern is mainly, malware (viruses/worms/etc.) and how to protect my mind from them. Any anti-malware software you're familiar with that does it job well?
  • Sir2u
    Problem solving app.TheMadFool

When you were a baby, you cried to get the attention you needed. Problem solved
    When you were a little older, you learned to crawl. Now you could get the things you wanted. Problem solved

Who taught you to open a door you have never seen before? Most people figure out how to do it by themselves, basing their solution on previously learned information.

Most of your development as a human is based on solving the problems you meet in life.

Maybe yours is broken, or they never let you use it. :lol:

My concern is mainly, malware (viruses/worms/etc.) and how to protect my mind from them. Any anti-malware software you're familiar with that does it job well?TheMadFool

Defective Serial Attention Blocker. This would be a great tool to add to your system. It blocks the Serial Attention syndrome caused by software such as farcebook and twatter. Defective Serial Attention, commonly know as "I can't fucking live without my mobile" addiction, has symptoms such as anti-socialness, apathy, and the dire "where is the goddamned outlet" effect that has people running around rooms bent over looking at the wall at knee level.

As for the worms, try a gardeners shop.
  • TheMadFool
    Maybe yours is broken, or they never let you use it. :lol:Sir2u

You might've hit the nail on the head there. However, my question was, if it's not too much trouble or too close for comfort, about your problem solving app. I'm sure you could give a rough sketch of how you deal with the issues you face without giving away critical trade secrets if that's what you're worried about.

Defective Serial Attention Blocker. This would be a great tool to add to your system. It blocks the Serial Attention syndrome caused by software such as farcebook and twatter. Defective Serial Attention, commonly know as "I can't fucking live without my mobile" addiction, has symptoms such as anti-socialness, apathy, and the dire "where is the goddamned outlet" effect that has people running around rooms bent over looking at the wall at knee level.

As for the worms, try a gardeners shop.
    Sir2u

You seem well-read on the psychology of social media and its accomplice, addictive personality. Don't mean to pry but how are you holding up against the constant bombardment of ideas, memes, beliefs, etc. the internet has made possible and that too at scales never before seen?

In short, do you see yourself as a normal person with a brain running only good software, well-protected by the best antivirus program available or are you infected, like I seem to be, and don't know it yet?
  • Sir2u
    However, my question was, if it's not too much trouble or too close for comfort, about your problem solving appTheMadFool

Well basically I have a lot of little problems that need solving on a daily basis, and a few bigger ones that take some time to solve.

An example of a little problem would probably have to do with work. Say for instance one of my students does not understand a part of the assignment.
    The app starts running and goes through the process;
    Define the problem - kid has failed to understand
    Find cause of problem(ask questions) - kid does not know where the delete button is on the keyboard
    Fix the problem - explain/show the kid where it is located

An example of a big problem would be something like my house. I built it 30 years ago and it has suffered earthquake and hurricane damage as well as adaptions to keep the missus happy and social changes in the area. I still have a lot of work to do and that is when the problems start to appear. Money, time, material all have to be coordinated.
    The app starts running and goes through the process;
    Define the problem for this week - finish the porch roof extension.
    Just needs the roofing sheets lifted and fixed in place.
    Preparations needed
    Clear schedule from 1:30pm Saturday.
    Find helper.
    Check materials and tools.
    Check weather.
    Fix the problem - get up the bloody ladder and put the roof on.

You seem well-read on the psychology of social media and its accomplice, addictive personality.TheMadFool

Job requirements. I teach teenagers and if I cannot keep ahead of them I am screwed. I do a lot of reading about these things and I have attended too many seminars and courses about them I could probably give lectures while asleep.

Don't mean to pry but how are you holding up against the constant bombardment of ideas, memes, beliefs, etc. the internet has made possible and that too at scales never before seen?TheMadFool

I use the most simple method possible, I ignore all of it. The only social media I use is whatsapp, and that is only for work and close family communications. I have farcebook and twatter, but I only use them as a means to and end. It is easier to access some pages using one of those accounts than creating accounts on that site.

In short, do you see yourself as a normal person with a brain running only good software, well-protected by the best antivirus program available or are you infected, like I seem to be, and don't know it yet?TheMadFool

What the hell is normal? I doubt that anyone has bad software, unless you count things like aggressive attitudes and risk taking as such. Most people have the same basic set and learn to use it differently or fail to activate it completely.
    Malware would be external influences from unaccepted parts of society, peers or the media. Anyone can activate the ignore button if they want to.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.