• thewonder
    A thread for unpopular philosophical opinions. I'll start.

Albert Camus was a good philosopher and the only book that you need to read in order to become a good Existentialist philosopher is actually The Myth of Sisyphus.

The only reason to read Being and Time is in preparation for Being and Nothingness.

Postmodern left-wing philosophy is actually high-flown and elitist and does occasionally border upon the pure production of text, which makes for some fascinatingly artful experimental writing, but does pose any number of somewhat pertinent predicaments for anyone who takes either politics or philosophy somewhat seriously.

Neutral Monism is the solution to the mind-body problem.

Nominalism should be consider as more than a technical slur.

Nihilism is actually pathological and dangerous.

Anarchism should take more of a leaf from Liberalism and Liberalism should take more of a leaf from Anarchism.

Pacifism is just the genuine engagement in any veritable political project.

Metaphysics has been superseded by scientific inquiry already.

If you can figure what a philosopher means by their usage of a term with context clues, then, they are not actually obliged to define it.

Any spelling of Communization in English with a "s" is in error.

The New Atheists only really deserve so much flak.

People should actually hold conversations about the Situationist International and they have retained their aesthetic aura for long enough to be laid to rest by academics via a process similar to what happened to Jazz music, though hopefully with considerably less pretense and banality.

It is a good idea to accumulate massive amounts of debt in pursuit of a Philosophy degree.

If I prefer to believe that Thelonius Monk did originate the quote, "Talking about music is like dancing to architecture.", then I am entitled to do so.

It is actually perfectly fine to have a passing interest in Zen Buddhism.

Epicurus is the only ancient Greek philosopher whom there is any reason to read.

In a highly qualified sense, you can take Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz's optimism seriously.

You should probably actually read Bertrand Russell before reading Ludwig Wittgenstein.

You shouldn't pretend to understand Wittgenstein, even at formal academic events that could somehow impact your career.

People should actually still talk about the human condition.

Philosophers really ought to be somehow engaged within the cultivation of ways of life.

The philosophical concept of authenticity has little to nothing to do with being down to earth.
  • Sir2u
    Everyone should read Ayn Rand before any other philosopher. If only to have something to compare the rest to.
  • thewonder

That's a pretty good one, but I did kind of actually do that.
  • 180 Proof
    Philosophy consists of noncognitive ideas or interpretations and does not produce theories that explain any matters of fact.
  • Sir2u
    That's a pretty good one, but I did kind of actually do that.thewonder

I read some of her work long ago, some of it actually made sense while other parts I still have to think twice about.

The problem with reading everyone else's opinions about how the universe works is that they all have someone else saying that they are wrong. Who the fuck do you believe?
  • thewonder

That's all up to you, I think.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.