• Shawn
    It's not common to see in the West the cultivation of the self. We typically have tests, metrics, and educational institutions where one will likely find themselves in society in the future given the results of the above. In Asian countries, especially China, there's a tendency to teach no religion or spiritual practices and adopt a system of beliefs that will enable one to cultivate themselves throughout life. I find the Western pursuit of money somewhat not quite my fit. I have different goals in life than a house family and sports car in my garage, along with a life in some corporate culture. Those things just don't interest me, or I might be saying "sour grapes", who knows?

I would like to ask some readers about their ideas about self-cultivation. Be it through philosophy or some guided practice? If you do already engage in self-cultivation, then what's your choice on what to focus on? I know from Plato that nous and noetics is developed through the intellectual life. In Western society that very much in a teleological manner means an academic life. Yet, I don't have the personality and memory to really stand out at college. I have some issues and impediments that prevent me from becoming an academic is what I mean. I'm certain I'm not the only one that feels this way, and would like to ask what would anyone else recommend?

Thanks
  • Apollodorus

Well, Plato's philosophy is a way of life. It is about the cultivation of virtues; of "doing was is beneficial to the soul" as opposed to being too concerned with material things; of pursuing what is true, beautiful, and good; of doing what is good and just for yourself and others; and generally attaining happiness and wisdom.

In other words, much more than mere intellectual pursuit.
  • 180 Proof
    I would like to ask some readers about their ideas about self-cultivation.
    [ ... ]
    I'm certain I'm not the only one that feels this way, and would like to ask what would anyone else recommend?
    Shawn
    Your previous thread ...
    https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/11459/the-value-of-philosophy-as-a-way-of-life/p1
  • god must be atheist
    When I self-cultivate, I look out for two very important things: watering, and fertilization. Incredibly important. No seed will ever bud without these two. The self-cultivated mind must therefore be well provided for. The more watering, the more fertilizers, the bigger, stronger, surer the growth.
  • Hello Human
    Self-cultivation is about the development of your abilities. Philosophy contributes by reflection on what abilities should be developed, and how to develop them.
  • Pantagruel
    Yet, I don't have the personality and memory to really stand out at college. I have some issues and impediments that prevent me from becoming an academic is what I mean. I'm certain I'm not the only one that feels this way, and would like to ask what would anyone else recommend?Shawn

I have found that one valuable principle of self-cultivation is to challenge yourself to work on your own weaknesses. Where you are naturally gifted, there is ample opportunity for reward and recognition, but little room for personal growth. I try to do this in all areas, physical, emotional, intellectual. It isn't an easy or a quick enterprise, but it can be very effective and rewarding.
  • unenlightened
    Cultivate honesty and kindness; weed out hate and greed. The rest is unimportant.
  • hope
    If you do already engage in self-cultivationShawn

I thought: "self improvement is masturbation" ?

Try self acceptance instead. aka: surrender to god.
  • baker
    Cultivate honesty and kindness; weed out hate and greed. The rest is unimportant.unenlightened

Will the irony never end!!
  • gloaming
    I 'cultivate' myself with every decision I make and with every interchange with others. I'm always trying to advance my desires, be they simple reductions of tension or dissonance, or be they attempts to place myself before the needs and interests of others. As I define 'myself', I do what I think best to retain that 'self-image'. In-so-doing, I cultivate myself. Even when I behave what I deem to be altruistically, which Sam Harris would insist can never be the case (he says there's no such thing as free will), I am trying to cultivate some defined aspect of my self.
  • dimosthenis9
    Be it through philosophy or some guided practice?Shawn

Self cultivation for me, is mostly about working-knowing yourself.And is a lifelong unstoppable process. There isn't one road as to achieve that. Each one should find his own way. Sure philosophy helps, academic career helps too but just think about how many even academic people seem, talk and act like people with actually no self cultivation!Even a painter could achieve self cultivation, just through his art.

Yet, I don't have the personality and memory to really stand out at college. I have some issues and impediments that prevent me from becoming an academic is what I mean.Shawn

From the way you put it here seems to me that whatever you do, you are in a good path for self cultivation. Except academic career, simple reading is just fine. So keep reading.No guilts for no academic career.

especially China, there's a tendency to teach no religion or spiritual practices and adopt a system of beliefs that will enable one to cultivate themselves throughout life.Shawn

I don't know if that's indeed what they do in China, but if they do seems pretty good to me. Maybe it's one of the reasons for China's continuously growing global influence the last years.
  • Tom Storm
    . I have different goals in life than a house family and sports car in my garage, along with a life in some corporate culture. Those things just don't interest me, or I might be saying "sour grapes", who knows?

I would like to ask some readers about their ideas about self-cultivation.
    Shawn

Chasing careers and vulgar status symbols is no shortcut to happiness as most people with a mansion and sportscar soon discover. I think you are right to eschew these things. Not sour grapes at all. They just don't matter.

Even for the philosophically inclined, I suspect most people are into self-curation rather than self-cultivation. They build and curate a version of who they think they should appear to be. Not sure this demonstrates any self-reflection or authenticity which should probably at the heart of self-cultivation. I actually think it is hard to determine whether we are on a path to self improvement or just constructing an image of who we think we should be. How do we know the difference or can they be connected?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.