• Prishon
    Thanks. We had nicely baked bread, meat and soup. :yum: Hope you had a great lunch.Corvus

Sounds good! We had (have) bread for lunch. With fresh peanut butter. Fatty and juicy. With good, eeeehh, non-saturated fats? Our dog waggles her tail to you! :razz:

Prishon says th... NO PRISHON! SIT!
  • Prishon
    It shows you that the posts we write here convey meanings, and also emotions which evoke the readers' imaginationsCorvus

Indeed! :grin:
  • Prishon
    It shows you that the posts we write here convey meanings, and also emotions which evoke the readers' imaginationsCorvus

Strange... I partook in a discourse about the brain, consciousness, the self (where, who and what they are) and all that kinda stuff, and you say about all there is to it in this one sentence above...
  • TheMadFool
    But then, no one alive has ever been dead. How do you know it, without ever having been dead?Corvus

Good question but pay attention to the analogy - how would you conceive of a "dead" pen? What happens to a pen that has reached its end-of-life? It no longer exists, no? That can't be drawn and thus the blank page.
  • Corvus
    must been reading too much of Kant lately :meh: :groan:
  • Corvus
    Good question but pay attention to the analogy - how would you conceive of a "dead" pen? What happens to a pen that has reached its end-of-life? It no longer exists, no? That can't be drawn and thus the blank page.TheMadFool

I dropped the pen from the analogy, as not working very well for me.
    But picking it up again, looking at it, it depends what type of pen it is. If it were a gold pen, I would still keep it, for the gold. Gold never dies, whatever it is made to. If humans were made with gold, they would be immortal I am sure. And perhaps that is the reason why gold is bloody expensive. Well the recent price is of gold, is it still climbing or falling?

If it is a nice parker pen, then I would replace the ink cartridge, and keep using it - voila, pens resurrect as long as you give them a new cartridge.

If it is a cheap & nasty pen, then ok, it will be thrown into the bin. There will be no remembrance ceremony, no funerals, it will make its journey to the universe. I am still not sure if the pen would know that he is dead, or alive still. I don't know either.
  • Prishon
    and also emotions which evoke the readers' imaginationsCorvus

You can look right through me it seems... Im a quite emotional guy and sometimes I indeed feel the tears pressing. Be they of a good vibe (with you), a bad vibe (not so good in some situations), or tears of pure boredom! :cry:
  • Prishon

Whats the thing with a pencil? The death of a pencil? Huh?
  • Corvus
    You can look right through me it seems... Im a quite emotional guy and sometimes I indeed feel the tears pressing. Be they of a good vibe (with you), a bad vibe (not so good in some situations), or tears of pure boredom! :cry:Prishon

Emotion is very much connected to the fear of death. If there were no emotions at all, then there would be no fear of death. I think because of the emotion and knowledge of possibility and certainty of death mixed together, people think and worry about death at some point in their life.

Material objects such as pens would not feel any fear of death, because they don't have emotions and don't have any knowledge or perception of death, even if they were to die. For them death would be just recycle process, I would guess.
  • Corvus
    Whats the thing with a pencil? The death of a pencil? Huh?Prishon

I think you need to find out, if the pencil was alive first place. :roll:
  • Prishon
    For them death would be just recycle processCorvus

Haha! The reincarnation of a pencil. The reingraphitation of pencil. A short story... :grin:
  • EnPassant
    Nothingness cannot be conceived because the very act of thinking about it involves your own participation and that is not nothingness, it is thinking...
  • TheMadFool
    Update

There are two ways we conceive of things:

1. Imagination: Past experience plays a role only to the extent it provides some basic material e.g. one has experience of a horn and a horse and these together we imagine a unicorn. We should be able to conceive of nonexistence/death; after all, imagination is, essentially, a tool that extends beyond the realm of the known. Read below and come back to this after that.

2. Memory: Past experience is of significant value. One has experienced a dog and thus one can conceive of a dog. Now, there are times when someone informs you of a shared experience but you doesn't recall it but that's the same as you never having had that experience. Insofar as you failing to conceive of that experience with respect to your inability to recall it is concerned, you could consider yourself as nonexistent. In other words, you not having any memory of event X = you being nonexistent in re event X. They're the same thing.

Thus, to forget is equivalent to nonexistence. In that sense, every time our memory fails, we come face to face with nonexistence or, in more familiar terms, death.
  • Corvus
    Haha! The reincarnation of a pencil. The reingraphitation of pencil. A short story... :grin:Prishon

Pencil conceiving death, is a poor analogy. :yawn:
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube