• Pantagruel
    As thinking entities we confront and attempt to comprehend a vast and complex reality. But the fundamental question that challenges our intellect is this: is thought itself a fundamental feature of reality?

We can no more comprehend a reality absent thought that we can think without thinking.
  • Pinprick

Not sure where you’re trying to go, or if I’m understanding you correctly, but I’ll say no, it isn’t. I can conceive of a world (reality) that doesn’t include thought, but comprehension requires thought, so you may be right depending on how you meant the last sentence. Without thinking we cannot comprehend anything, but we can imagine a reality where thought didn’t exist (I.e. Earth pre-life, post apocalyptical Earth, etc.).
  • Pantagruel
    Not sure where you’re trying to go, or if I’m understanding you correctly, but I’ll say no, it isn’t. I can conceive of a world (reality) that doesn’t include thoughtPinprick

Says the thinking being.....
  • Pinprick

Well, yeah, but just because I think doesn’t mean it’s fundamental to reality. It’s fundamental to comprehension, and possibly even experience, but there’s nothing to suggest without “thought” reality wouldn’t exist. In fact, wouldn’t something have to of existed prior to thought?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.