• anonymous66
    I'd like to start reading more of the existentialist philosophers. I've read some Kierkegaard, and I don't find him satisfying, so I thought I'd try some others. Has anyone read any Rilke, Shestov, or Marcel? Can you suggest a starting point?
  • Janus
    I read some of All Things are Possible by Shestov. I have read some of Rilke's poetry, and I am not aware of any prose writings. I tried to read Men Against Humanity by Marcel but I couldn't become involved with it.

Shestov and Marcel are both Christian existentialists. Shestov is very radical, reminding me in some ways of Meillassoux' notion of radical contingency.
  • anonymous66
    Wiki does list some prose authored by Rilke. I'm intrigued by the Christian Existentialists, having come from a Christian background. I'm reading some Marcel from a book called A Gabriel Marcel Reader. I know Marcel and Sartre engaged, responded to, and criticized each other in their works. Specifically, Marcel challenged Sartre's judgment of freedom as a negative quality.

I read Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment years ago, and really liked it. I only recently became aware that Dostoyevsky is also considered to be an Existentialist Philosopher.
  • Janus

I finished reading The Brothers Karamazov for the first time recently, and I thought it was a great book, very enjoyable to read and wonderful insights into human existence. I read Crime and Punishment when I was about 18. Must read it again; I remember enjoying its richness of characterization and insight,

I also read The Idiot when I was about 18 and again about fifteen years ago (when I was 48, that is), and it was great both times. I'm surprised you didn't like Kierkegaard. I love what I have read of him (which isn't much as yet).
  • anonymous66
    I may have to try Kierkegaard again. I read most of Fear and Trembling, and I started to read The Concept of Irony. I might just need to be in the right frame of mind.
  • Janus

I have read parts of The Concept of Anxiety for an undergraduate course in Existentialism, and found them to be very rich and full of insights. I intend to read the whole book as soon as possible.
  • anonymous66
    Thanks for those thoughts, John. I've been reading Rilke's (translated by Norton) Letters to a Young Poet. and I just started All Things Are Possible.

I was impressed by this description of the young Rilke...
    ... he entered [military school] in good condition, sunburned and well after summer holidays and of normal development for his age, he was by temperament totally unfitted to stand the physical discipline of any such establishment and, which was even worse, soon became the victim of his comrades' active and cruel contempt. Doubtless they found him a romantic sentimentalist and prig, for which his early childhood would have been much to blame. Any ten- or twelve- or fourteen-year-old boy who, on being vigorously struck in the face, could say in a quiet voice..."I endure it because Christ endured it, silently and without complaint, and while you were hitting me I prayed my good God to forgive you,'' need have expected nothing but the derisive laughter of his contemporaries.
  • Noble Dust
    I've been reading Rilke's (translated by Norton) Letters to a Young Poetanonymous66

That's a great guide for artists, and philosophers who are sympathetic to an artistic approach. I'm also interested in Christian Existentialists, so thanks for Shestov and Marcel; on the list now. You might be interested in Nikolai Berdyaev. The Meaning of the Creative Act is a good intro to his thoughts. The Divine and the Human is a more lucid, later book that's more in line with the existential elements of his ideas.
  • anonymous66
    I haven't heard of Nikolai Berdyaev. I'll have to look him up.
  • anonymous66
    I just ordered Rilke's novel: The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.