@Baden
  • TheMadFool
    We should give bonus abilities to people with high votesfrank

Yeeeees!

like you can ban anybody you want for a week.frank

Noooooo!

You were off to a good start... :smile:
  • Mikie
    And the idea, implied by others here, that philosophy, whether on or offline, has hitherto been--or should be--free of accolades, status indicators, social pressure, and so on, strikes me as naive.jamalrob

And it strikes me as naive to believe adding a like button is beneficial in any way. What’s the goal, exactly? What does it tell you? What is it encouraging?

I’ll tell you: it encourages posts to become a series of one-liners. You can find that in a YouTube comment section too.

If we want to encourage turning everyone into Henny Youngman, so be it.

How many posts someone has made is more informative. I hope you resist the temptation and turn it off.
  • Isaac
    Sounds good. Then I could drop this pretence of democracy. :wink:jamalrob

Yeah.

I'm not sure if I'm the one who's missed the point or if everyone else has, but there's loads of discussion above about improving quality (and whether the 'likes' function will successfully do so). Reading through Jamalrob's original post, I see no mention at all of quality. I didn't read the feature as having anything at all to do with quality.

We're not writing a treatise here, this isn't a grand scheme to finally discover what actually is the Truth™ (God help us if it is). It's a social exercise. Who's of value to the community by virtue of their contributions is a perfectly valid metric in that game, we're measuring their contribution to the social enterprise, not global philosophy.
  • T Clark
    82 - Hanover 73 and closing in fast. Is that my footsteps you hear?Hanover

Another point. I think we should start over at zero so the old guys don't feel all superior.
  • Kenosha Kid
    We all started from zero a few days ago, I think.
  • Noble Dust
    I voted to turn it off, but I really don't care.
  • praxis
    On the Surfer Magazine forum, you get a notification when someone likes your post, and the name(s) of those who've liked a post is shown at the bottom of the post. That is good feedback. There's no notification on this platform and members don't know what posts are liked, and they don't know who liked their posts. Pretty useless feedback. I think it's much more useful to show the post count.
  • Valentinus

My hovering of the cursor only produces a jerky circular movement of the cursor.
  • Windbag
    I don't know if we've given the functionality enough of a chance--ideally it should begin to indicate those members who make good contributions and who have been around for a while--but I'm interested to know what you think about it.jamalrob

We'll know the mod team is interested in quality content when they start creating some.
  • Michael
    We'll know the mod team is interested in quality content when they start creating some.Windbag

:lol:
  • Michael
    The best thing about the reputation stuff is that I can now channel my inner YouTube content creator and end every post with "don't forget to like, comment, and subscribe!"

See ya guys, and don't forget to like, comment, and subscribe!
  • Heracloitus
    I do not 'like' the like system.
  • bert1
    I could go either way.ArguingWAristotleTiff

Noted, but what do you think of the reputation system?
  • Mr Bee
    Eh, I will just say what I said in a similar thread months back on a like/dislike system, which is that I think such a system would be counterproductive for intellectual discussions on here since it would get in the way of the exchange of ideas. People may just see likes and dislikes as a substitute for actual replying to a certain point made, and people may be inclined to ignore someone or hold their opinion in high regard simply due to the amount of likes/dislikes they have.

That's one of the reasons why I don't like reddit especially since it leads to the creation of echo chamber subforums where any opinions considered "wrong" would literally get downvoted to obscurity.
  • jgill
    It seems hard to separate conformation bias from appreciation of interesting ideas.

How could you do that? Or is this a non-issue?
  • Valentinus
    It seems hard to separate conformation bias from appreciation of interesting ideas.
    jgill

That is a difficult element to examine. One cannot claim a universal answer for everybody because what is interesting to some people is boring to others.

So, maybe there is a an objective world that is what it is but we will never be able to talk about it without confusion because of the way we talk about things.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Noted, but what do you think of the reputation system?bert1
    I do apologize for the delay in my response to you, I just saw it now.
    As far as what I think of the "reputation system"?
    I think the spirit of the idea is genuine but I am uncomfortable calling it a reputation system. Social scores only tell me who knows how to game the system and has cheerleaders around them. Much like President Trump and @Hanover there are always people who bet for the horse to win while betting the horse will lose in the same race. They could each be right but I have doubt about them both winning the race and I definitely would stay away from the trifecta.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Would anyone be interested in cookies if we make cookies in July again? :eyes:
    If so, pm me your address and I'll see what I can do to make sure you get a dose of love from my ranch to yours. :hearts:
    International is included on this unless it's cheaper for me to fly me there with the cookies. There might be a sur charge on that one. :flower:
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.