• Exodus
    So I just got on this site and I have decided to show a little part of myself and my views on the world around me.

"Reality", such a silly concept. What is reality? How you view the world the world, or society defines it. The created social standard that nearly every human being clings to. Yet we know little to nothing except what we've given labels to. Maybe I'm stuck in my own fantasy. Living a life of dreams hoping to find even a sliver of hope to cling to. Looking for the match to light the candle wick within the depths of my own heart. Yes, light does seeps through every now and then. But not enough to reach the deepest, darkest depths of my own "reality". I question my own ideology, philosophy, physical restraints, and mental stability nearly every day. Especially my own sanity.

Whether or not I'm living a dream remains a mystery to me. I'm human, so I'm helplessly chained to my human emotions. Don't know whether or not that's a disadvantage or not. So many labels, so many definitions, so little time. Learning the essence of "Abstract" art to see if I can further my understanding. Maybe I can learn not to mask my feelings all the time. I do it so well. You'd be amazed if you saw it in-person.

Ethnics. My ethnics teacher thinks his age makes him superior. Maybe it does, I doubt it though. Whether its my own teacher or a substitute they lean towards teaching history more of their heritage than other minorities. I don't blame them though. I'm one of those people who show more interest in their own heritage rather than that of another minority. I'm guessing its because of the way I was raised. Being both of African-American and White. I hold no hatred of any race, being another or my own.

Human behavior can be so interesting, irritating, and unpredictable all at the same time. Most of my classmates political and ethnic related opinions are based off the media or their parents. Completely abandoning any thought of an opinion based off their own discoveries. And they look at me like I'm some sort of piece of in-depth trash when I claim anything that even remotely deviates from their "personal" views. Its hard to blame them at the same time because, as I said before, most of us are severely tied to our human emotions and our illustrious desires. Temptation so hard to resist.

How little we know is astonishing. Space is virtually infinite, or so we are told. But it is so large our brains can't comprehend it. So discoveries are always at our grasp, unless we end before we can gain a solid 1% of understanding. 1% you ask? Think about it, really think about how little we know. And the thought that I probably won't be here to see it through is hard to accept. But nonetheless, inevitable...

So this was a little example of my personal views. Hopefully it doesn't have too many grammatical errors.
  • TheMadFool
    How little we know is astonishing.Exodus

I agree and I suspect that many people overlook these glaring gaps in our knowledge. I tried going down that path, as you have, but I find myself daydreaming most of the way. The unknown is unfriendly to the thinker - too many possibilities to entertain and difficulty in finding solid proof for any one of these possibilities.
  • A Christian Philosophy

So you are starting with universal doubt, Descartes' style. How about finding a starting point to uncover truth? A good start is the laws of logic, such as the law of non-contradiction: If a proposition is self-contradictory, then it is necessarily false, then its opposite is necessarily true.

Example 1: "Truth does not exist". This is a self-contradiction, because this would mean that this very proposition is not true. Therefore its opposite "Truth exists" is necessarily true.
    Example 2: "I think I don't exist". This is a self-contradiction, because I cannot think "I don't exist" if I don't exist. Therefore its opposite "I think I exist" is necessarily true. This is essentially Descartes' cogito argument: I think therefore I am.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.