• schopenhauer1
    Most people are afraid to make an argument because they have to defend it. Rather, it's easy to snipe at other arguments. I dare the usual critiquers to actually make an argument, and one that isn't pedantic and easy to defend.
  • Banno
    Got an argument for that?
  • Wheatley
    why? Its only an observation...
  • schopenhauer1
    why? Its only an observation...Wheatley

Ha, this is a true statement.
  • MikeListeral
    or maybe some people are just playing devils advocate
  • Cheshire
    Most people are afraid to make an argument because they have to defend it. Rather, it's easy to snipe at other arguments. I dare the usual critiquers to actually make an argument, and one that isn't pedantic and easy to defend.schopenhauer1

I think people argue incorrectly. The burden of proof and demands of concession fuel bias of egos and don't further the search for any greater truth. The sales pitch that starts so many into this maze of heaps and vats. If there were a third recognized standard that could allow an argument to end, but reserve the ascription of winning or losing we might make some better progress in next 3,000 years, than we did in the past.
  • Isaac
    Most people are afraid to make an argument because they have to defend it.schopenhauer1

What an odd thing to post on a forum that currently has 194 pages of people doing the exact opposite.
  • schopenhauer1
    What an odd thing to post on a forum that currently has 194 pages of people doing the exact opposite.Isaac

When was the last time you made your own argument and not just chiming in pro or con on someone else's claim?
  • frank

If you only read the first sentence of my argument and misconstrue that, I won't put any energy into presentation the next time.

You reap what you sow, or maybe not you specifically, but what other people sowed.
  • Isaac
    When was the last time you made your own argument and not just chiming in pro or con on someone else's claim?schopenhauer1

Last week. I make arguments all the time, it's part of my job.
  • Olivier5
    When was the last time you made your own argument and not just chiming in pro or con on someone else's claim?schopenhauer1

Every single day.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet