• Shawn
    In what circumstances would it be rational to accept one's depression or anxiety?

Would you do so yourself?
  • T Clark
    n what circumstances would it be rational to accept one's depression or anxiety?

Shawn

I think accepting depression and anxiety is a healthy path to take. That doesn't mean you don't try to make things better, but rather that you don't judge yourself harshly if you fail. On the other hand, accepting these afflictions is easier said than done. It also doesn't necessarily make living with them any easier.
  • Cheshire
    In what circumstances would it be rational to accept one's depression or anxiety?Shawn
    When there is a legitimate exterior cause or known unmet need. Depression like everything serves to indicate our experiences. But, if it's just habit; then shake it or medicate it.
  • baker
    In what circumstances would it be rational to accept one's depression or anxiety?Shawn

What do you mean by "accept" here?
  • MikeListeral
    anxiety and depression are caused by lack of self acceptance

lack of self acceptance is caused because you believe there is something wrong or bad about you and you falsely think that to accept yourself you have to accept those wrong or bad parts. you dont. you have to realize those parts are not wrong or bad. then you will be able to accept them. then the anxiety and depression will go away.
  • Noble Dust

I think it's always rational to accept one's depression. The problem is that it's hard to be rational while depressed. I speak from experience. To be depressed and to then rationally evaluate one's depression is a healthy thing to be able to do which a lot of depressed people seem unable to do.

Yes, I do do so myself, but it doesn't seem to help. Hmm...
  • Noble Dust
    But, if it's just habit; then shake it or medicate it.Cheshire

Bad advice.
  • Noble Dust

I don't disagree with this concept, but the problem is getting depressed people (read: people stuck in specific emotions) to emotionally understand a concept like this. Your explanation is good, but it will not help anyone who is actually depressed.
  • MikeListeral

depression is not an emotional problem

and my explanation is the ONLY thing that will help them
  • MikeListeral

anxiety and depression dont even exist

its not what you think it is

its actually caused by two parts of the brain resisting each other.

which creates a negative vibration that we call anxiety/depression

lack of self acceptance. causes two parts of the brain to collide and vibrate painfully

root this out and the problem will disappear.

this problem can happen to anyone. its just bad luck. and can be repaired
  • Nils Loc

Eh, get out o here Mike. The mods are probably looking for you.
  • Cheshire
    Bad advice.Noble Dust
    Care to elaborate?
  • MikeListeral

big brother is watching you

so you better run and hide
  • Wheatley
    All situations. You have to accept who you are.

It's difficult
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.