• Pantagruel
    Interesting. I'm just reading Rabelais' Third Book of Pantagruel, where Panurge and Pantagruel are communicating with the deaf character, Nazdecabre, by means of gesticulations. In the end, asserting the accuracy of Nazdecabre's predictions about Panurge's marriage, Pantagruel pronounces the Latin maxim, Vero Consonat, every truth is consonant with every other truth.

I believe that to be true.
  • Pantagruel
    Suppose, just for a second, that what you are, as a cognizant, thinking being, is in some way materially contingent on information transferred forward through the mechanism of material-social artefacts (i.e. the ideas that constitute the essence of your being are what has been handed forward through the generations). If that were the case, I would spend as much time absorbing as much "existentially meaningful" historic material (i.e. books) as I could get my hands on. The more ancient, the better. :mask:

It isn't about what philosophy is "correct," per se, I think; I think it is about what the most sincerely intelligent people have sought to convey to posterity.
  • Pantagruel
    Think about it. When you "actually" understand something, then you establish a link between your mind and whatever minds set the precedent for your thoughts. "Every truth is consonant with every other truth." Truth is the ultimate mechanism for creating continuity of consciousness.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.