• Janus
    SophistiCat: I believe in the Golden Rule - do to others as you would have them do to you.

Janus: That's bullshit. You beat your kids, treat your employees like crap, and cheat your customers.

Is that a legitimate argument?
    T Clark

I would say that the fact that someone who propounds a principle may not follow that principle says nothing about the principle and everything about them. So, if they claim to believe in a principle that they apparently make no effort to practice then their claim to believe in the principle may indeed be bullshit, but not necessarily so.
  • Harry Hindu
    An ad hominem argument does not have to be an insult. Here's one of my favorite ad hominem arguments. "But you're a cashier." Fairly long ( minute 30 seconds), so you might want to skip it.T Clark
    This could be a genetic fallacy - where the argument is rejected purely based on the source from which the argument is made. Some fallacies seem to overlap - the point being attack the argument, not the person making the argument.
  • Harry Hindu
    Sometimes (often), the insulting party expects that the insultee will infer the intended argument, based on the discussion thus far. People usually don't speak in concise syllogisms, but use other forms of discourse, often skipping some steps (under the assumption that the reader will be able to correctly infer them themselves). When a discussion begins to contain insults, this can be taken as a clue to infer what argument is actually being made prior to that, it tends to be possible to (re)construct it.baker

Not sure what you mean. Examples?
  • baker
    If their arguments are vacuous then they would be invalid and or unsound no?Janus
    Or simply not to your liking, but possibly still valid and sound.
    I've never seen the term "vacuous" in literature about logic. It sounds more like a Jane Austen word, a haughty derision.

I think the point about the ad hominem fallacy is that it consists in assuming that someone's arguments are invalid or unsound or vacuous without examining their actual arguments.
    Sure.
  • baker
    Like in the Seinfeld example mentioned above:
    But you're a cashier!

The unspoken part we have to infer is:
    You're a cashier, which is a lowly job not deserving respect, therefore, you're in no position to reject a romantic relationship with me on account that you don't respect my stand-up comedy act.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.