• John Pingo
    hell of a life
  • Jack Cummins
    I wish that I had enough time and money for philosophy, and in the meantime I am improvising. I would love more time and money to spend on philosophy.I feel that we live in such an upside down world. I think of philosophy as more of a default position or activity for trying to make some sense of it.
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    Philosophy and philosophical discussion is a wealthy persons hobby.
  • 180 Proof
    Maybe broke, ain't poor ...
    You must go on.
    I can't go on.
    I'll go on.
    — The Unnamable

:death: :flower:
  • baker
    Don't have enough time and money to do philosophy

What are you trying to get out of doing philosophy? What do you hope to achieve by it?
  • John Pingo
    What are you trying to get out of doing philosophy? What do you hope to achieve by it?

Philosophy
  • John Pingo
    Take a look at Schopenhauer. He was wealthy. He never worked for survival. He had enough time to read, study and write. He's truly a philosopher (not just philosophy professor as many).

We live in a time where work to make money takes good part of our daily time. More than before. No time to read enough books or to research or to write.
  • Lil
    Are you free?
  • 180 Proof
    ... of what? from what? for what? to do what?
  • Lil

To rephrase, do you believe that what you're experiencing is freedom?
  • Lil
    If not, what keeps you from revolt?
  • 180 Proof
    Yeah.
    There is only one freedom of any importance, freedom of the mind. — Iris (2001)
  • baker
    You want to do philosophy for philosophy's sake??

And Schopenhauer was a spoiled trust fund kid.
  • John Pingo
    And Schopenhauer was a spoiled trust fund kid.

Definitely he was. Because of this he had enough time and money to be a great philosopher.
  • baker
    Philosophy that is cut off from real life is of no relevance.
  • Corvus
    I was under impression, philosophy is something that cost nothing. Just sit down and think about something in critical way, that is philosophy, is it not?
  • 180 Proof
    Philosophy – (free) thinking – only costs (free) time. If you're financially secure or independent, and do not have to spend most of your waking hours making a living (more than living a life), then you have plenty of time for philosophizing (study, contemplation (solitude), dialectical discussions, writing); otherwise, you don't have much time to think which makes it much harder to do, but not impossible.
  • Corvus
    The trick is to philosophise at nights when everyone is asleep, or during days coffee breaks and lunch times, and the weekends. When others are busy enjoying themselves shopping dinning and galavanting around ... we philosophers would sit in the corner of the garden or a room, and entertain the deep thoughts. :)
  • 180 Proof
    More or less how I've always done it.
  • Corvus
    More or less how I've always done it.180 Proof

:fire: :up:
  • jgill
    Philosophy costs nothing. And is "worth" nothing. Sad but true.

Ditto for lots of mathematics. :sad:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet