• d Luke
    What does it mean for a person to be rich?
  • Sir2u
    What does it mean for a person to be rich?d Luke

Anyone with enough money not to have to work to pay the bills. But most of those people work harder than the rest of us.
  • d Luke
    I use to think richness could be enough money. But what if a person does not have to pay the bills because of government assistance or welfare. This person gets bills paid because of a lack of money. Why should this person not be considered rich?
  • 180 Proof
    A person who is "rich" has good health (healthy habits) and has a small circle of old, good friends (even some who are family) and never strives for anything that can be taken away, or desires any more than s/he already has.
  • Sir2u
    I use to think richness could be enough money. But what if a person does not have to pay the bills because of government assistance or welfare. This person gets bills paid because of a lack of money. Why should this person not be considered rich?d Luke

Because it does not fit into the definition I gave.
    I said that anyone with enough money to pay the bills without having to work. That would mean that they choose not to work because they don't need to.
    These people do not have enough money to pay the bills, that is why they are paid for them. And most of them don't work because they cannot do so.
  • d Luke
    Are you saying a person should have all these things to be considered rich? Just want clarification.

and never strives for anything that can be taken away, or desires any more than s/he already has.180 Proof

The last part of your statement makes me think of someone who is content with what they have. And by "strive," do you mean "to work too hard for something?"
  • d Luke
    Okay, my error for not sticking with your definition. So would you say richness, then, gives those who are rich a great sense of leisure instead of labor, and self-sustenance instead of assistance? Or do you think richness would be more than these things?
  • 180 Proof
    Are you saying a person should have all these things to be considered rich?d Luke
    Yes.

And by "strive," do you mean "to work too hard for something?"
    Yes, as in ... who doesn't invest much effort or time acquiring or keeping those things which can be (easily) lost or taken away.
  • Sir2u
    So would you say richness, then, gives those who are rich a great sense of leisure instead of labor,d Luke

No, but if you can explain how someone could have a sense of leisure or of labor I might rethink my answer.

I might agree that those who have enough money to not have to work to pay their bills might find it less necessary to work.

Or do you think richness would be more than these things?d Luke

Richness could mean something different for each and every rich person, but to me it is meaningless because I have not experienced it.

I would a guess that some of those that have gone from rags to riches would celebrate their good lucky in doing so and live a happy life. But others either born into money or have gained it for themselves become money grabbers that are only interested in making more.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.