• Tiberiusmoon
    Like us animals have their own culture, they have their own way of communicating, behaviour and other traits that make it.
    The only major difference between cultures is our ability to record history and culture which we can use to give our culture a sense of depth.
    But a culture does not have to be hundreds of years old, it can be relatively new or old and always changing.

Upon reflection, this reaffirms the idea that other living things need to be valued and respected as much as humans because from a unbiased specist view we are the same culturally speaking.

Thoughts?
  • bert1
    The rats in my house are developing quite a sophisticated civilisation.
  • Grre

You should look into some work on post-humanism...start with the book Straw Dogs for an interesting philosophical overview, and then consider some more scientific accounts of the fascinating powers of animals.
  • Tiberiusmoon

Ill check it out, but I am REALLY not a book person.
  • fishfry
    Like us animals have their own culture, they have their own way of communicating, behaviour and other traits that make it.Tiberiusmoon

My understanding of the meaning of the word is that culture is that which is passed down through generations. Animals have instincts and behaviors. They don't pass on what they learn down through generations the way humans do. By this definition animals do not have culture. Of course we (or natural selection) can breed certain behaviors, but that's not the same thing.

I looked up the dictionary definition. "the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively."

The very definition references humans. Animals do not have culture.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.