• Tom Storm
    Buddhism doesn't promote lack of meaning. The lack of meaning in life causes a lot of suffering in the WestGregory

Are you answering me or someone else? My questions was how you calculate problems and what counts as nihilism.

Incidentally lack of meaning is not quite the same as nihilism. Not being able to find meaning is not the same as proposing there is no meaning.
  • Gregory

I think the pro-abortion materialist centered culture is worse off than religious people looking for pappa in the sky. People in the West struggle to find things that stimulate them anymore. Those who embrace this instead of being Christian or finding a better way (what try to do) are nihilist by embracing pride in their modern world instead of being open to change
  • Tom Storm
    I'm not trying to be a dick but I am confused by what you say.

I think the pro-abortion materialist centered culture is worse off than religious people looking for pappa in the sky.Gregory

You say "I think" so this is just your opinion? Who are the people looking for pappa in the sky? Is this an oblique reference to literalist versions of Abrahamic religions? What about Oceanic faiths?

People in the West struggle to find things that stimulate them anymore.Gregory

Is this true and compared to people where else? Where are people more stimulated (not sure what this means)?

Those who embrace this instead of being Christian or finding a better way (what try to do) are nihilist by embracing pride in their modern world instead of being open to changeGregory

I have no idea what this last sentence means. I think you are saying people who are not Christian are worse off in some way. Is that right? What is the 'open to change' reference - change into what?
  • Gregory

I live in California so I see a lot of the culture of buying all the new stuff and being attached to material possessions. I hear a lot that this is prevalent in the West but I don't travel much so yes all this is my opinion. To my eyes Abrahamic religions are attached to something that probably doesn't exist but attachment to things besides your own self worth can happen in any region or culture. I see non-Christian religions as often rather advanced because they don't cleave to something that might not exist, at least not as much.
  • Cheshire
    Being distances itself from itself in ways that create myriad, unique, fleeting perspectives from which to experience itself, and each person is one of these perspectives.charles ferraro

I would add we also give meaning to what we see based on the fleeting perspectives which adds a metaphysical dimension that wouldn't otherwise exist.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.