• Iris0
    yes yes we know all this.
    BUT I actually asked you why.
    Why do we have these un useful and completely meaningless brains that work for nothing the way they do - no other animals have them.
    Do not say I should read phycology and stuff - because they ONLY study what is already present and there - not why it came to be...
  • Kenosha Kid
    so I understand (correct me if I am wrong here) that Darwin lost his own image of who his own god was?
    Or are you saying that Darwin actually knew God directly and better than those that do believe in God (learned jews and Jesus) who said: no one knows God?
    Iris0

I didn't quite follow your question. Darwin lost his faith in the God he believed in, that he was brought up the believe in.
  • Christoffer
    Why do we have these un useful and completely meaningless brains that work for nothing the way they do - no other animals have them.
    Do not say I should read phycology and stuff - because they ONLY study what is already present and there - not why it came to be...
    Iris0

I already explained it in detail, if you want more detail you have to study psychology, I won't write out thousands of pages of psychology research when I've already summed it up.

And psychology doesn't just study what is going on now, it's actually the exact thing you are after. The only way to understand how we function today is to study how our intelligence evolved.

You can't just demand answers and when you get them you just repeat the questions again just because you don't understand the answers. I've summed it up and if you want to dive deeper into the science of evolution and psychology you really have to sit down and read about it.

If you don't do the work and just question the answers you get like that, then it's hopeless to try and explain further. It's all there in psychology research, buy some books!
  • tim wood
    My argument could not be simpler. Do you agree there is a difference between an imaginary - the idea of a - gold coin and a real gold coin? Do you agree there is a difference between an imaginary - the idea of a - God and a real God?

And would not that difference be essentially the difference between the real and the imaginary?

And as corollary I have no trouble acknowledging while the greater utility lies with the real gold coin over the imaginary, that the greater utility of the God lies with the imaginary over real. With the lema being that there is no real God, because to be real - the sine qua non of being real - is evidence of that reality.
  • Iris0
    okay - let us put this then within the realm of no meaning and no goal to anything that exists - it just evolves freely and without meaning of aim. That is in fact the stand of atheism - am I right?
  • Iris0
    I have no problem accepting the difference between the fictive and the real. Never had - but I have met secular people who believe they cannot say if they are in a Matrix or not.

:smile:

And the humans who say that they have a real experience of God - who are they talking about? Fiction or reality?
  • tim wood
    The reality of their own fictions.
  • Iris0
    as is then all sort of feelings and inner experience that you think you have - but are delusions? Or connections you believe exist between events or cause and objects in this world?
  • tim wood
    as is then all sort of feelings and inner experience that you think you have - but are delusions? Or connections you believe exist between events or cause and objects in this world?Iris0

We're running, if not already run, this topic into the ground. If you have some point to offer or make, please do so.
  • Iris0
    and the conclusion was when you did that before my entrance in this thread yesterday was?
  • Hanover
    The debate is over and the only ongoing discussion appears to be with a now banned member, so I am closing this thread.
189101112Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.