• TheMadFool
    Malthusianism

Malthusianism is the idea that population growth is potentially exponential while the growth of the food supply or other resources is linear, which eventually reduces living standards to the point of triggering a population die off. This event, called a Malthusian catastrophe (also known as a Malthusian trap, population trap, Malthusian check, Malthusian crisis, Malthusian spectre, or Malthusian crunch) occurs when population growth outpaces agricultural production, causing famine or war, resulting in poverty and depopulation. Such a catastrophe inevitably has the effect of forcing the population (quite rapidly, due to the potential severity and unpredictable results of the mitigating factors involved, as compared to the relatively slow time scales and well-understood processes governing unchecked growth or growth affected by preventive checks) to "correct" back to a lower, more easily sustainable level.[1][2] Malthusianism has been linked to a variety of political and social movements, but almost always refers to advocates of population control. — Wikipedia

As is obvious to anyone with a high school degree and remembers faer math, the Malthusian crisis is a mathematical argument as succinctly explicated below:

The relationship between food production and food supply was first expressed by an English Economist called Thomas Robert Malthus (1798 -1823). Malthus stated that population increased in a geometric progression (ie., 2, 4, 16, 132…) while food production increased in arithmetic progression (ie., 2, 4, 6, 8…). — web.ccsu.edu

My question is probably going to sound math naive but I'll ask it any way if only because it might lead to something interesting.

How does something (here food) which exhibits linear behavior (arithmetic progression) lead to something else (here population) that exhibits exponential behavior?

Isn't this like someone whose diet follows a linear/arithmetic progression but experiences exponential/geometric weight gain? Suppose, all the food I eat gets converted to mass also expressed in the same units as the energy content of the food. So, if I eat 2 calories, I gain 2 calories in mass. Imagine now that I eat 2 calories every day for 5 days. I should've gained 5 days * 2 calories = 10 calories (arithmetic/linear progression) However, this is not the case if Malthusianism math makes sense.The weight I gain is actually 2^5 = 32 calories (exponential/geometric progression). If I now look at how much I ate, I discover that I consumed 5 * 2 = 10 calories but my weight according to Malthusianism is 32 calories i.e. I have an excess of 32 - 10 = 22 calories. Where did all that extra energy/mass come from?

I guess my question boils down to, how the output (population) can outpace the input (food)?

:chin:
  • Nils Loc
    I guess my question boils down to, how the output (population) can outpace the input (food)?TheMadFool

It can't. Food is a limiting reagent of population. There is probably more nuance to Malthus argument.

Malthus observed that an increase in a nation's food production improved the well-being of the population, but the improvement was temporary because it led to population growth, which in turn restored the original per capita production level. In other words, humans had a propensity to utilize abundance for population growth rather than for maintaining a high standard of living, a view that has become known as the "Malthusian trap" or the "Malthusian spectre". Populations had a tendency to grow until the lower class suffered hardship, want and greater susceptibility to famine and disease, a view that is sometimes referred to as a Malthusian catastrophe. — Wikipedia: Thomas Malthus

The difference between humans today and animals that exploit an existing food source (which might cause a boom and bust population cycle) is that we have very sophisticated ways of growing the food supply. We also can decide to not have children and save more cake for ourselves. As to whether these sophisticated ways can weather the future is still a question.
  • TheMadFool
    There is probably more nuance to Malthus argument.Nils Loc

What would that look like? Nuances as in...?

Let's do some back of the envelope calculations.

1. 100% of the mass of food gets converted to mass of the person consuming it.

2. The minimum mass of a person is 1 kg.

3. The maximum mass of a person is 2 kg. Beyond 2 kg, a person "reproduces" another person

4. 1 person consumes 1 kg

Suppose now,

4. Food production increases in arithmetic progression (in kg): 2, 4, 6, 8,... where 2 is food quantity for year 0, 4 is food quantity for year 1, so and so forth.

How will the population increase assuming there was only 1 person when there was 2 kg of food?

Food 2 kg: 1 person (2 kg) = 1 person

Food 4 kg: 1 person (2 kg) + 1 person (1 kg) = 2 persons

Food 6 kg: 2 persons (2 kg each) + 1 person (1 kg) = 3 persons

Food 8 kg: 3 persons (2 kg each) + 2 persons (1 kg each) = 5 persons

Food 10 kg: 5 persons (2 kg each) + 3 persons (1 kg each) = 8 persons

Food 12 kg: 8 persons (2 kg each) + 5 persons (1 kg each) = 13 persons

The number of people increases with the following pattern: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13... This pattern has a name: Fibonacci Sequence

The ratio between any two terms of the Fibonacci sequence approaches the Golden Ratio = 1.618...

Ergo, the population in the scenario above can be written as: A * (1.618...)^y where A = the initial population or population in year 0 and y is the yth year. In other words, population grows exponentially (geometrica progression) when food grows linearly (arithmetic progression).
  • Nils Loc
    What would that look like? Nuances as in...?TheMadFool

:razz: Well, you've presented an ideal mathematical scenario (neat nuance) which may have helped form Malthus' original argument. But is it the case that food production is always arithmetic or that population growth is always exponential (can one model the numbers otherwise)? Did Malthus look at empirical data also and does the same relationship pan out that way?

Would we call the Irish Potato Famine an example of a Malthusian trap?

I guess my question boils down to, how the output (population) can outpace the input (food)?TheMadFool

I think an answer to this is still pretty basic, as any case of famine would show. The demand for food overtakes the supply (which cannot catch up) and a threshold is reached were folks (animals) begin to die off.
  • TheMadFool
    Irish Potato FamineNils Loc

Last I checked, it had something to do with a blight. The Malthusian specter seems to, well, take such contingencies, in its stride so to speak i.e. the predictions of population size contimue to match, even if only as approximations, actual global/local census records. May be not, it's hard to talk about these things without studying it seriously and thoroughly. As such all my posts are more speculative than anything substantive. Nevertheless, my little thought experiment, did give me a feel of what could be going on. I was quite intrigued to find the Fibonnaci sequence embedded in population dynamics even though I had that information at the back of my head - something to do with rabbits.

Anyway, thanks for engaging with me. It was more fun than I thought it would be. If you think of anything interesting, lemme know, alright!

G'day.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.