• Tiberiusmoon
    Probably just as much as wisdom is to morals as ethics is to morals.

There are many fine details to moral judgement but its usually within the idea of valuing a social construct or object over the lives or wellbeings of any living thing to be the negative outcome of ethics/morals.
  • Jack Cummins

I do think that the question of how morality and ethics are identical or not is important Sometimes the terms morality and ethics are used as if they are identical. The ideas are fluid, but I do believe that morality comes down to a particular perspective, whereas ethics, involves a wider evaluation of ideas for considering, but ,is possible that this is an not clearcut. I do believe that ethics and morality are related to wisdom, but wonder if the values and ideals are more important than the actual translation of such ideals into practice. I am not trying to say that wisdom is not essential to life, but just wondering to what extent it is at the forefront of the daily basis of living, or as an intrinsic value which comes into play, as an idea and ideal, behind the scenes of practical living.
  • Jack Cummins

I have looked at you link, and I do think that poetry can capture aspects of wisdom so well. It may be about the finding bridges between intuition and rationality in our understanding. Also, when I was reading the thread, I became aware of one poem emphasising the importance of mindfulness. I think that this is important as a concept in thr philosophy of wisdom and is also of relevance to the practical aspects of human living.
  • James Riley

Yes. I was specifically pointing out Amity's quotation of the poem "Wisdom and Follies Haikus
    by George Bruce". It was making the point, in poetry, and more eloquently than I, about brevity and wisdom and foolishness.
  • Jack Cummins

I think that you are right to point to uncertainty as a starting point. It may be that for people from many eras, long before Wittgenstein that this was a key aspect for thinking about all else. It may be that the more we try to predict and formulate on the basis of what may be expected that this will let us down.
  • 180 Proof
    I think that the important question is to what extent is wisdom connected to ethics?Jack Cummins
    :100: :up: My attempt to link them by raising this question I'd alluded to earlier ...
    One can only strive to unlearn those maladaptive judgments & habits which increase one's misery and contributes to the miseries of others180 Proof
  • Jack Cummins

I am not really trying to say that wisdom is purely subjective, but that the outward quantification of ascribing it to individuals could be problematic. It may be that we can perceive wisdom but that is a whole approach to life rather than any specific act or views. I really do think it is easier to see folly in others, and in ourselves, because it glares, and it leaves a trail of misfortune and chaos.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.