• Noisy Calf
    Foundationalism and Coherentism are two popular theories of epistemic justification. I'll briefly define each.

Foundationalism: some of our beliefs are foundational, that is, they are self-evidently true, and they do not require demonstration to be justified and known. According to strict foundationalism, everything we know is either a foundational belief or a conclusion derived from foundational beliefs.

Coherentism: none of our beliefs are foundational, and the truth of a belief can only be confirmed by its coherence with other beliefs. Thus, knowledge arises from a network of interdependent and mutually reinforcing beliefs. Whether a belief is justified or not depends on whether it agrees with one's other beliefs.

Now here's my thesis: there are two kinds of knowledge: 1) non-reflective or immediate knowledge, and 2) reflective, mediated, or self-conscious knowledge. The former is justified according to foundationalism, and the latter is justified according to coherentism.

Some things we know without having to reflect upon them. Like other sentient animals, we humans know what we perceive. If we feel hunger or hear a loud noise, we have immediate knowledge of these perceptions. This knowledge is foundational. I don't need to demonstrate that I hear a loud noise in order to know that I hear it. Even if the noise is a hallucination, I still know that I hear it.

But clearly, it is possible for one to doubt that one perceives what one perceives. Parmenides, for instance, seemed to believe that everything is one, from which it follows that perception is some kind of illusion, and perception does not provide any genuine knowledge, foundational or otherwise. Now Parmenides, like any other sentient animal, had immediate, unreflective knowledge of the things he perceived. But given his monistic beliefs, he did not believe this immediate knowledge of his was truly knowledge. Thus, he knew foundational things, like the noises he heard and the odors he smelled, but he did not know that he knew them. I'm only using Parmenides as a random example. If you disagree with my interpretation of him, pick another example, like a skeptic who rejects all forms of knowledge, or a mystic who believes that this world is an illusion that we must transcend.

So we can unreflectively know certain things in a foundational way, but our reflective or self-conscious knowledge that we know these foundational things is not foundational. For if the knowledge that we knew certain things were foundational, it would be self-evident. But since there is no universal agreement about what can be known, it is evidently not self-evident that we know anything. In other words, what we know is, in some cases, self-evident and foundational, but the fact that we know something is never self-evident and foundational.

So how do we know which of our beliefs are foundational? I would argue that we know this by examining our entire network of beliefs. In this process of self-reflection, we will notice that some of our beliefs are derived from others. For instance, if we believe that someone is moving toward us, we can observe that this belief is derived from sensory information. Or if we believe in some complex mathematical theorem, we can observe that this belief is derived from more basic rules and axioms. And once, through this process of epistemic self-examination, we arrive at a belief that is seemingly not derived from more basic beliefs and that seems impossible to seriously doubt, we will have reason to believe that we have discovered a foundational belief. For instance, I cannot think of a more basic principle than the principle of non-contradiction, and I can observe that, if I doubt non-contradiction, all my other beliefs become incoherent. So the principle of non-contradiction appears to be foundational.

I think this synthesis combines both what is appealing about foundationalism and coherentism. Foundationalism is appealing 1) because our knowledge can't be justified by an infinite regress or circular reasoning and 2) because coherentism seems to conflict with our intuition that some beliefs are self-evident, especially beliefs regarding perception. The synthesis accounts for 1) because, since reflective knowledge is subsequent to non-reflective knowledge, our knowledge is ultimately justified by foundational beliefs, and we need not appeal to an infinite regress or circular reasoning. It also accounts for 2) because we do have self-evident beliefs, although they are non-reflective.

Coherentism is appealing because 1) a belief is only known if it is justified, and foundational beliefs do not seem to be justified, 2) because different philosophers disagree about what can be known, making it seem as though nothing is self-evident and there are no foundational beliefs. The synthesis accounts for 1) because foundational beliefs, while indemonstrable at the non-reflective level, must be demonstrated at the reflective level. It makes sense that when engaging reality in a practical way, we wouldn't need to justify all of our beliefs, and some facts we would just figure out intuitively or non-reflectively. But when thinking philosophically and trying to determine what can and cannot be known, one cannot justify a belief simply by claiming it is foundational. Rather, one must show how, in order for beliefs to properly cohere with one another, certain beliefs must be foundational. For instance, we can discover through reflection that our beliefs will become incoherent if we deny that the principle of non-contradiction is foundational. The synthesis also accounts for 2) since people can know self-evident things without knowing that they know them. A philosopher can know something yet belief that he does not know it. This is possible because he knows it in a non-reflective way, whereas he believes that he does not know it in a reflective way.

So in conclusion, we form immediate, unreflective beliefs about reality based on foundational knowledge, and then, by reflecting on these beliefs, we work them into a coherent system that allows us to know them in a reflective and self-conscious way. So unreflective knowledge is justified according to foundationalism and reflective knowledge is justified according to coherentism.

Also, just to be clear, I think both basic perceptual knowledge, such as 'my foot hurts' and certain logical principles, like non-contradiction, are foundational.

Also, please let me know if someone else already thought of this.
  • charles ferraro

Excellent explanation!

Yes, I think someone else already thought of this, Renee Descartes.

Although his terminology differs from yours, through application of the rigorous test of surviving hyperbolic doubt he sought to determine what, in his opinion, would be an indubitably certain, ultimate form of what you call foundational knowledge.

Rightly or wrongly, Descartes thought he had found this ultimate foundational knowledge to be the Cogito Sum. He considered the Cogito Sum to be an existentially consistent and existentially self-verifying form of knowledge upon which he thought all other knowledge, what you term coherent knowledge, could be based.
  • Shawn
    Coherentism: none of our beliefs are foundational, and the truth of a belief can only be confirmed by its coherence with other beliefs. Thus, knowledge arises from a network of interdependent and mutually reinforcing beliefs.Noisy Calf

This sounds closer to redundancy theories in my mind. Although, there is significant overlap between coherentism and redundancy theories. Yes?
  • Noisy Calf
    This sounds closer to redundancy theories in my mind. Although, there is significant overlap between coherentism and redundancy theories. Yes?Shawn

By redundancy theory, do you mean the idea that prefacing a statement with the phrase "it is true that" doesn't add any intelligible content to the statement? I agree with that. But how does that relate to what I wrote.

See Susan Haack's
    foundherentism.
    180 Proof

That sounds like it agrees with what I wrote. But it doesn't sound like she makes a similar distinction between unreflective knowledge, which is prior and justified according to foundationalism, and reflective knowledge, which is subsequent and justified according to coherentism. Or, in other words, the distinction between knowing something at the level of foundationalism, and knowing that one knows something at the level of coherentism.
  • charles ferraro

The meaning of the terms "unreflective knowledge" and "reflective knowledge" also remind me of Sartre's concepts of the "Pre-Reflective Consciousness" and the "Reflective Consciousness."
  • T Clark
    Foundationalism: some of our beliefs are foundational, that is, they are self-evidently true, and they do not require demonstration to be justified and known. According to strict foundationalism, everything we know is either a foundational belief or a conclusion derived from foundational beliefs.

Coherentism: none of our beliefs are foundational, and the truth of a belief can only be confirmed by its coherence with other beliefs. Thus, knowledge arises from a network of interdependent and mutually reinforcing beliefs. Whether a belief is justified or not depends on whether it agrees with one's other beliefs.
    Noisy Calf

This is an interesting and well thought out post. My understanding of human nature is that, although we are born with capacities and tendencies, almost everything we know we learn. The first months of a child's life are spent creating a world with raw sensory data, their mind's and body's structure and function, and guidance from other people, primarily their mothers and families. To me, that puts the kibosh on foundationalism from the start.

I have to go now. I'll think some more and come back later.
  • T Clark
    Coherentism: none of our beliefs are foundational, and the truth of a belief can only be confirmed by its coherence with other beliefs. Thus, knowledge arises from a network of interdependent and mutually reinforcing beliefs. Whether a belief is justified or not depends on whether it agrees with one's other beliefs.Noisy Calf

This is more in line with my previous thoughts about how people create their worlds as babies. It's also in line with my own personal experience of what it feels like for me to know something. I have a sense, an image, of a great interconnected network of knowledge. I think of it as a truss, but that's because I'm an engineer.

Bb-forthrailbridge.jpg

Each of the nodes of the truss are connected to at least two other nodes. A load placed on any node is transmitted along the truss members to other nodes and throughout the rest of the truss. I see this as a metaphor for knowledge. I can't add a new node anywhere I want. The rest of the nodes are significantly constrained in their movement by the interconnected members of the truss. If I want to make any major changes in the network, especially something that isn't consistent with its current design, it will take a lot of effort throughout the network, not just in the location of interest.

So in conclusion, we form immediate, unreflective beliefs about reality based on foundational knowledge, and then, by reflecting on these beliefs, we work them into a coherent system that allows us to know them in a reflective and self-conscious way. So unreflective knowledge is justified according to foundationalism and reflective knowledge is justified according to coherentism.Noisy Calf

I think very little of our knowledge is reflective until we need to use the knowledge we have. That's consistent with what you've written. I guess the difference is that when you talk about foundational knowledge, I think of knowledge that has been learned, absorbed, and is present as a network in our minds. I guess that means that I don't see the distinction between foundational and coherent knowledge as important.
  • Jack Cummins

I think that reflection is extremely important, because many people don't really question assumptions. I am sure that many of the philosophers were extremely reflective. However, I have found more on the topic of reflection in books outside of philosophy, such as ones on critical thinking. Also, I am familiar with an author, Gillian Bolton, who looks at reflective writing as a practice. However, I think that you are correct to point to the importance of reflection on ideas, and I see this as an essential aspect of philosophy.
  • Noisy Calf

That's true, Descartes idea was similar. After reflecting on his beliefs, he claimed to discover that cogito ergo sum was the only one he couldn't doubt. But I think his argument differed because cogito ergo sum wasn't really his foundation. He demonstrated the cogito from these premises: 1) if I do not exist, then I am deceived, 2) if I am deceived, then I exist. Thus, his foundation must have included the two premises, sufficient notions of selfhood, deception, and existence for the premises to be intelligible, and the principles of logic, which enable the proposition 'I exist' to be derived from the two premises. However, Descartes did not explicitly state that these were his foundations, and he seemed to imply that the cogito was his foundation. And he also didn't distinguish his reflective knowledge of the cogito, which he acquired through examining his beliefs, from his foundational knowledge of it, whereby he would immediately know his own existence independently of demonstration. He even seemed to imply, by his method of argumentation, that he arrived at knowledge of his own existence through reflection and demonstration. If all our knowledge depends on reflection and demonstration, then it's all coherentist, so Descartes seemed to imply that all knowledge is coherentist. The cogito was not foundational for him in that it could be known without reflection, but rather in that, upon reflection, it was the only belief that proved impossible to doubt.

I'm not familiar with Sartre's idea, but it sounds worth investigating.
  • Noisy Calf
    Each of the nodes of the truss are connected to at least two other nodes. A load placed on any node is transmitted along the truss members to other nodes and throughout the rest of the truss. I see this as a metaphor for knowledge. I can't add a new node anywhere I want. The rest of the nodes are significantly constrained in their movement by the interconnected members of the truss. If I want to make any major changes in the network, especially something that isn't consistent with its current design, it will take a lot of effort throughout the network, not just in the location of interest.T Clark

I like the node/bridge analogy, but I think I can expand upon it to defend my point. In order for a structure to function, it needs to rest on solid ground (unless it's something like a satellite). Solid ground works as an analogy for foundational knowledge. There are some things we know independently of reflection or demonstration, like the content of our perceptions. In order to construct a system of beliefs that corresponds to reality, we must built upon the ground that sensory experience provides. Moreover, if our structure is going to stand, we need to take account of the principles of mechanics that govern the physical world and also the gravitational force exerted by the earth. These work as an analogy for the foundational principles of logic and mathematics, and maybe even a few metaphysical principles like the principle of sufficient reason. Thus, we must build our belief systems upon the ground of perception, our material foundation, and in accordance with basic principles of reality (like logic), our formal foundation.

An analogy for pure coherentism might be building something in remote outer space, where there are no external forces. There, any structure would hold to together and stay in place, and thus, in order to change the structure, you'd only need to account for the structure you yourself had laid. If a belief system were purely coherentist, the only means to determine the soundness of a belief would be to compare it with other beliefs. No foundational beliefs would exist to base the system upon. An analogy for pure foundationalism might be something like laying a path on the ground. There, the structure would not extend any higher than the ground on which you founded it. Analogously, a purely foundational belief system would not demonstrate conclusions from premises or reflect on the interconnections between different items of knowledge. The only object of belief within such a system would be immediate perceptions. I think most animals probably operate according to a purely foundation belief system. A dog, for instance, believes, at least in a sense, that his master is home, or that he smells a rabbit. But the dog only believes these things because his perceptions immediately and unreflectively engender these beliefs in him. A human on the other hand, can start from foundational beliefs and build complex intellectual structures upon them, like scientific theories and historical narratives.
  • Noisy Calf
    I think that reflection is extremely important, because many people don't really question assumptions. I am sure that many of the philosophers were extremely reflective. However, I have found more on the topic of reflection in books outside of philosophy, such as ones on critical thinking. Also, I am familiar with an author, Gillian Bolton, who looks at reflective writing as a practice. However, I think that you are correct to point to the importance of reflection on ideas, and I see this as an essential aspect of philosophy.Jack Cummins

Yes, I agree that reflection should question assumptions. But since, as I also argue, some beliefs are foundational, reflection should also reveal that some assumptions are necessary. Because without any foundational assumptions, we would have no premises from which to derive conclusions, and reflective knowledge would be impossible.
  • T Clark
    I think I can expand upon it to defend my point. In order for a structure to function, it needs to rest on solid ground (unless it's something like a satellite). Solid ground works as an analogy for foundational knowledge.Noisy Calf

There's not a lot of defending required. I think you and I are pretty close. I guess I see it more in line with your idea about a structure floating in space. It's an important feature of my metaphor that knowledge supports itself by it's bootstraps. It provides it's own foundation. As I see it, whatever foundational knowledge we have we got the same way we got all the rest, unless we're talking about physical, biological "knowledge" built into our bodies and genetics. No, I'm not talking about some sort of cosmic consciousness.
  • charles ferraro

I always create an existential relation between myself and the "I" of the Cartesian "I think, I exist" whenever, and while, I am performing the thought-act "I think. I exist" in the first person, present tense mode. Furthermore, my "I think, I exist" performance is always existentially consistent and, therefore, existentially self-verifying. And whenever I try to perform its negation "I am not thinking, I am not existing" in the first person, present tense mode, it always turns out to be existentially inconsistent and, therefore, existentially self-defeating, i.e., impossible.

By contrast, I cannot create an existential relation between myself and the I of the Cartesian inferential proposition "I think, therefore I exist" because the inferential proposition provides nothing more than an objective written version or representation of my original subjective performance or thought-act. And because I cannot create an existential relation between myself and the I of the inferential proposition, the fundamental notions of existential consistency and existential self-verification are neither applicable, nor relevant, to the inferential proposition. Only the notion of logical validity is applicable and relevant to the inferential proposition.

The Cogito Sum inferential proposition can be interpreted to be a derivative rendition of my original Cogito Sum performance because the objective logical truths expressed in writing by the Cogito Sum proposition are ultimately dependent upon and derived from the more primordial existentially consistent and existentially self-verifying truths that result from my subjective Cogito Sum performance.

It is the existentially consistent and existentially self-verifying truths resulting from my Cogito Sum performance which provide the necessary and sufficient ontological pre-conditions that support the existence of the objective logical truths that are expressed in written form by the Cogito Sum inferential proposition.

Because the existence of the Cogito Sum inferential proposition is dependent on the Cogito Sum performance, this explains why modus ponens is applicable to the Cogito Sum and why the Cogito Sum appears to involve both a valid inference regarding the truth of my existence and a more primordial performance-based existentially consistent and existentially self-verifying intuition of the truth of my existence.

I submit that this is precisely what Descartes meant when he stated, "When someone says 'I am thinking, therefore I am, or I exist,' he does not deduce existence from thought by means of a syllogism, but recognizes it as something self-evident by a simple intuition of the mind."

So, for the above reasons, I submit that if someone is going to attempt to really critique the truth of the Cogito, they should focus their efforts on the Cogito Sum as a performance, not on the Cogito, ergo Sum as an inferential proposition.

A serious critic of the indubitable certainty of the truth of the Cogito Sum performance, who hoped to be successful, would have to come up with a hyperbolic doubt that can neutralize or nullify the existential consistency and existential self-verification of the truth of the Cogito Sum performance when and while it is occurring in the mind of the meditator in the first person, present tense mode.
  • Kenosha Kid
    Like other sentient animals, we humans know what we perceive. If we feel hunger or hear a loud noise, we have immediate knowledge of these perceptions. This knowledge is foundational. I don't need to demonstrate that I hear a loud noise in order to know that I hear it. Even if the noise is a hallucination, I still know that I hear it.Noisy Calf

This doesn't obviously seem to be describing knowledge but consciousness. It is doubtful for instance whether, as a baby, I form a long-term memory that can be recalled to derive higher-order knowledge of a loud noise. Being aware of something instantaneously only doesn't constitute knowledge in my book.

Actually the ever thoughtful T Clark has already applied the right torque:

My understanding of human nature is that, although we are born with capacities and tendencies, almost everything we know we learn. The first months of a child's life are spent creating a world with raw sensory data, their mind's and body's structure and function, and guidance from other people, primarily their mothers and families. To me, that puts the kibosh on foundationalism from the start.T Clark

It has always struck me that the key skill if Rationalism is not rationality, but fooling oneself into believing that educated, experienced adults come fully-formed.
  • sime
    If the principle of non-contradiction is regarded as being be logically necessary, then it cannot say anything apart from asserting a grammatical promise not to contradict oneself, in which case it is merely a normative linguistic principle rather than a empirically descriptive epistemic principle. On the other hand, if the principle is regarded as being empirically descriptive, then it must fallible, in which case it also cannot play a role in any epistemic foundation.

This also seems to be the case for any other suggested foundational principle: either it is regarded as being infallible, in which case it cannot rule out any conceivable possibility and hence is epistemically redundant, else it must be regarded as fallible and therefore not a foundational principle.
  • TheMadFool
    FoundationalismNoisy Calf

:up: An example please of a self-evident truth.

CoherentismNoisy Calf

There can be no such thing as lies on this view.

Scenario 1 (traditional truth): Jane's gone to the market. The keys to the car are not there. Jane said earlier she wanted to buy some popcorn.

Scenario 2 (traditional lie): Jane hasn't gone to the market. Her boyfriend came by and borrowed the car. Jane said she'd buy popcorn but never said she'd do it today.
  • magritte
    On the other hand, if the principle is regarded as being empirically descriptive, then it must fallible, in which case it also cannot play a role in any epistemic foundation.sime

Non-contradiction as an ontological principle is axiomatically prescriptive therefore infallible wherever it is applicable. However, non-contradiction is very special and it does not generally apply to all things because some things don't stay around long enough or show varied real aspects, or are seen from differing perspectives, or might not be bound, or are not be things in the least. But where the ontological principle can be shown to hold it is foundationally sound.

For empirically based realism there are at least two ways to go. One through personal experiential sense perception, the other through public often instrumental scientific observation. Traditionally, Plato's handling of appearances (which I think should properly be called Platonic realism as against the idealism of Platonic Ideas) and Kant's scientific empirical realism are interesting parallel takes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment