• Connor
    Hey, everyone! I'm new to the forums and I wanted to discuss a few topics that I thought were really interesting.

I found quotes in a book that I have that I thought were very interesting:
    “Professional communicators have an extremely critical role in preserving a democratic society, and therefore must not yield their autonomy to examine and act on moral dilemmas.

Indeed, the argument for communicators maintaining moral autonomy is made compelling by the rights granted to them in the first Amendment. However, when some communication professionals unthinkingly follow conventions, rules or orders, they actually give up their First Amendment freedoms.”
    What do you all think of this quote?

"The issue of rights provides a compelling mandate for professional communicators to distribute information in a manner that brings rights violations into the sunshine of public scrutiny. In this sense, protected by a First Amendment right to be left alone, communication professionals are the guarantors of individual rights in two crucial ways: Providing Information and Public Scrutiny."
    What do you all think of this quote?"

“My moral goal should be to do good, but if I cannot do good, I should not do unjustifiable harm.” In light of this ethic, respond to the following case: When a member of my close-knit church group, who is also a highly visible African American business figure in the community is arrested for soliciting a prostitute, my hierarchy of values springs to action if I am an African American newspaper editor. Also explain the use of power in this case."
    What do you all think of this quote?

Also, have you ever heard of the concept of the “Beacon on the Hill” both personally as well as professionally for a journalist. As a professional “persuader” (advertising or public relations) how might you demonstrate the concept of the beacon on the hill?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.