• Rich
    If this were true, then how do you explain the fact that the layout of things in my kitchen is the same still as it was ten years ago?Metaphysician Undercover

It's all about observation. You may not notice the changes, but even a casual observer most certainly would.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    What, you think that a casual observer would notice that the distance between my stove and fridge changes from one minute to the next, when I can't even detect that change with my tape measure?
  • Rich
    Observation is much more than a rudimentary and crude tape measure. One must really learn to observe skillfully. It is what the arts are all about. Refinement of observation.
    So you think that you could observe the distance between my fridge and stove changing from one minute to the next? Are you sure this wouldn't qualify as an hallucination?
  • Rich
    What one observes are changes. Constant and persistent everywhere. Then the electronic instruments are called in to confirm. The electronic cloud, never stops changing. Absolutely everything is in constant motion and with such motion is constantly changing. Did you notice any deterioration in your kitchen?

e-clouds.png

Observational skills improve with constant practice.
    I'm not talking about the electron cloud. I recognize that it is somewhat unstable. I'm talking about the distance between my fridge and my stove. That's what I mean, you should learn to recognize that some things are changing, and others are not, I think that would make you a much better observer.
  • Rich
    This motion constantly changes everything. That you are not able to observe the larger and smaller effects of each and every one of these motions would certainly affect your metaphysics. In time, you may be able to understand that this motion and the changes caused by these motions are unstoppable. Until then, I am quite sure you will believe otherwise.
    This motion constantly changes everything.Rich

I would need to see some proof of that. I have a hard time believing that the movements of electrons, which have a very tiny fraction of the mass of an atom, changes everything.
  • Rich
    Every quanta that comprises everything in the universe is in constant motion which creates constant change.

Quantum motion

"...quantum mechanics, the underlying physical rules that govern the fundamental behavior of matter and light at the atomic scale, state that nothing can quite be completely at rest."
189101112Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.