• Zenny
    OK. One paragraph on the pros AND cons of science.
    Followed by one paragraph on the pros AND cons of religion.
    If you wish you may write more on each.
    I want to get a feel for what people's opinions are on both sides so that's its clearer where people are coming from.
  • Zenny
    Pros of science; can be a springboard for new ideas,theoretically encourages free thought. Can be empirical.

Cons; organised science is an elite activity dictated by money and ideology. Many sciences are just speculative theories. Science in the main asserts its the only valid path to knowledge.

Pros of religion; can take account of personal experience,human desires,aesthetics and psychology.
    A positive worldview. Deals in certainty.

Cons; Organised religion is about dogmatic control and money. Texts at variance with human experience and ambiguous. Asserts it has a monopoly on truth.

There's more. But just a taster!
  • Tiberiusmoon

Religion can tell you what they feel is best for humanity.
    Science can tell you what is factually best for humanity.
    But Philosophy can tell you what is rationally best for humanity.
  • Tom Storm
    We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Though all religions assert that they worship God and say that we must love one another, they instil fear through their doctrines of reward and punishment, and through their competitive dogmas they perpetuate suspicion and antagonism. J Krishnamurti
  • praxis
    Pros of science: iPhone

Cons of science: A-bomb

Pros of religion: Grace

Cons of religion: Jihad
  • DingoJones

Ha. Every once in a while you right something worth reading. Succinct and amusing.
  • skyblack

Both can be and are movements of beliefs. Both can be a source of conflict between humans.
  • praxis
    Ha. Every once in a while you right write something worth reading. Succinct and amusing.DingoJones

I’ll put you down as an honorary member of my personal fan club. Oh, and I righted your right. Free typo correct is just one of the many perks of being in the praxis fan club. :point:
  • Zenny
    @skyblack Yep. Both are beliefs. How would you ascertain which beliefs are correct in general?
  • Zenny
    @Benkei And how do you expect me to reply when streetlight closed the thread?
    Listen,I don't expect any even handedness from you or the moderators. And because two people disagreed who are partisan that was evidence? When was truth decided by poll? Your refusal to answer pertinent questions was instructive. Many times things are obvious.
    Many people see that this is a form of new Racism.
    But anyway,things on the ground are great! So bleh to disguised intellectualised racism!
  • jorndoe
    Pros of science: iPhone
    Cons of science: A-bomb
    Pros of religion: Grace
    Cons of religion: Jihad
    praxis

(y)

Science pro: all-but doing away with tuberculosis and related suffering
    Science con: self-guided long-range mass-destruction missiles (with triggers in a human hand)
    Religion pro: virtual leash on (would-be) crazies
    Religion con: doubtful (and mutually incompatible) grandiose truth claims
  • skyblack

Yep. Both are beliefs. How would you ascertain which beliefs are correct in general?Zenny

If something is seen as a belief is there any need for further ascertainment? And for what purpose? No ascertainment will make a belief a fact. BTW what happened to the OP and the other replies on this thread?
  • Zenny
    @skyblack OK. Your using belief in terms of not being factual. I don't think this is the best way. Some beliefs are true or facts. I believe in my ability to run. That's true and factual.
    The other thread is still there. Closed by the thought police.
  • skyblack
    I believe in my ability to runZenny

I would say , " I know i can run". Knowing isn't a belief.
  • Zenny
    @skyblack So we just disagree on the word.
    To me some beliefs are knowing. And some knowing is wrong.
    I believe and know the sun will rise tommorow.
    Some people say they know their race is superior. That's false.
    See what I mean?
  • skyblack
    So we just disagree on the word.Zenny

No we are disagreeing on the fact. The fact being, a belief isn't the same as knowing. A belief is having a faith on something in absence of facts.
  • Zenny
    @skyblack According to you.
    I just gave you some examples.
  • skyblack
    I just gave you some examplesZenny

And i clarified that the usage of the words is incorrect. They are conflating two different facts.
  • Zenny
    @Skyclark Incorrect according to you.
  • skyblack
    Incorrect according to you.Zenny

The dictionary will also say the same thing. I think i am done here. Thank you.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment