• Shawn
    Cognitive behavioral therapy says that emotional reasoning is important to a human being, but, can become hijacked by the brain to manifest in many psychosomatic disorders, such as depression, obsessive compulsive disorders, neuroticisms, tics, and other manifestations of aberrant brain activity with regards to emotions.

In this thread, I propose that psychologically there must be some logic to emotions, much as Hume described reason as the handmaiden of the passions. The ancient Stoics, Aristotelians, and others wrote extensively on the virtues which became associated with, not so much, "emotions", but, rather "dispositions" towards how one ought to feel or profess their state of mind.

Yet, again Hume said that one cannot derive an "is" from an "ought", and the ancients seemingly bridged that gap. My opinion is that "emotions", well cultured emotions, carry some kind of (though, not necessarily evolutionary psychology) a primordial instinctive drive towards what one ought to feel in any given situation.

So, given this short stream of consciousness opening post, what kind of logic do you think emotions entail for a person?
  • baker
    what kind of logic do you think emotions entail for a person?Shawn

I think emotions are heuristics, condensed attitudes, condensed views.

Because for every emotion that one feels, one can offer up an explanation of what it is about and why (although many people don't even try).

Take, for instance, a racist: A racist feels hatred toward a particular race, but he can also explain why he feels that way, he can list his reasons.
  • SpaceDweller
    I don't think there is any logic in emotions because of factors that an not logical.

Emotions are:
    1. hereditary
    2. learned from close people during child age
    3. influenced by others

This results is each one of us acting differently in different situations, either a lone or in social interactions.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.