• Shawn
    It might sound presumptuous to say this; but, are people becoming less emotionally intelligent?

I mean, when you start reading online responses like, LOL, ROFL, or OMG, then is that indicative of a low EQ?

I hesitate to say this; but, it seems to me that having a developed EQ is becoming harder and harder nowadays in real life.

What are your thoughts before I start blabbering on about perceived issues.
  • SpaceDweller
    I don't agree because my understanding is that lack of conversation, poor conversation not knowing what to say etc. is what makes one emotionally less intelligent.

Internet however makes people talk more so it likely contributes to overall EQ of the population.

There is saying that smart phones make people "stupid", and that likely also applies to conversations on the internet because again from my understanding it affects IQ not EQ.

So my opinion when people use LOL, ROFL or OMG that only reveals their low intellect, but are otherwise emotionally intelligent.
  • BC
    Some people, like myself, have always been a day late and a dollar short when it comes to emotional intelligence / social intelligence. Still, it seems like many young people are being socialized less successfully now than in the past. There is too much 'helicoptering' from parents, too much planned and structured social interaction early on (as opposed to spontaneous, unplanned, unsupervised social interaction). It is intuitive that heavy screen-involvement (media of all types)--on a level that exceeds what children were exposed to in the past (say, before 1970) has to play a role in socialization. Seems intuitive, may or may not be true.

There is, quite possibly, too much attention being paid to children's emotions, their every quirk. That's not good either. It is, actually, OK to be a misfit--as long as one understands that one is, what that means, and can find authenticity in that role.

On the other hand, one sees a lot of emotionally immature, emotionally retarded adults as well -- some of them running the country/your state/your city/your job/your store/your church/your bowling alley/your bar/etc. Possibly one of them is in your kitchen right now, sulking, throwing a tantrum, screaming at you for putting the peanut butter in the refrigerator, or something. .
  • Shawn

I suppose this is mostly about men(?) rather than women?

I mean, I get your point with issues like impulsivity due to instant gratification online or on TV or through your smartphone... But, then you witness what's going on with children, soaked up in red bull or monster drinks playing online games and LOL'ing away, or some kind of disturbing amount of 'meme's' encapsulating emotions...

What's going on?
  • counterpunch

Why are lol, rofl etc, indicative of low EQ?

I hate emojis. What are they indicative of?

I imagine you've done extensive research on semiotics, and are going to reference Jung or Nabakov. Perhaps throw in some Sassure. This should be interesting.
  • Shawn
    I imagine you've done extensive research on semiotics, and are going to reference Jung or Nabakov. Perhaps throw in some Sassure. This should be interesting.counterpunch

I haven't actually, last time I read a book in full, was quite a while.

I was hoping you could possibly reference something about those authors?
  • counterpunch

Then, yes. It was presumptuous!

lol.
  • Shawn
    Then, yes. It was presumptuous!

lol.
    counterpunch

Well, what do you think about emotional intelligence and empathy?
  • counterpunch
    Sorry Shawn, I was joking, and giving you a dig to test your emotional intelligence.

Well, what do you think about emotional intelligence and empathy?Shawn

You must be quite angry and yet have contained yourself. I think it's okay to tell an asshole like me to go fuck myself. Why didn't you?
  • Shawn
    You must be quite angry and yet have contained yourself. I think it's okay to tell an asshole like me, to go fuck myself. Why didn't you?counterpunch

I don't like being angry. Do you?

Isn't anger like one of the most self-satisfying emotions?
  • counterpunch
    I don't like being angry. Do you? Isn't anger like one of the most self-satisfying emotions?Shawn

Then why don't you like being angry? Do you not deserve to be satisfied?
  • Shawn
    Then why don't you like being angry? Do you not deserve to be satisfied?counterpunch

I just wallow. :blush:

But, I do post a lot of threads about anger, stoicism, and emotions in general.
  • counterpunch
    Do you think being angry is indicative of low EQ?
  • SpaceDweller

Isn't being angry is indicative of nervousness more than low EQ?
  • counterpunch

Shawn had every reason to be angry with my post, yet chose not to express it. I wonder whether he thinks that is emotionally intelligent or not.

Isn't being angry is indicative of nervousness more than low EQ?SpaceDweller

I don't know. Do you think it is?
  • Shawn
    Do you think being angry is indicative of low EQ?counterpunch

Not really. I think impulsiveness is though...
  • Shawn
    Shawn had every reason to be angry with my post, yet chose not to express it.counterpunch

Fine, I wasn't even angry. Yet, I do consider myself a stoic-wannabe. Stoics are emotionally developed no, CP?
  • SpaceDweller
    I don't know. Do you think it is?counterpunch

I know it is because I'm nervous person. I get angry often but I don't want it.
  • Shawn
    Isn't being angry is indicative of nervousness more than low EQ?SpaceDweller

More agitation, yes?
  • counterpunch
    Fine, I wasn't even angry. Yet, I do consider myself a stoic-wannabe. Stoics are emotionally developed no, CP?Shawn

You weren't angry? It took you 14 minuets to respond to a post that required no response. You were plenty angry. So, again, do you think that expressing anger is indicative of low EQ?
  • counterpunch
    I know it is because I'm nervous person. I get angry often but I don't want it.SpaceDweller

Do you mean in social situations, you're nervous. Or just nervous generally?

And what about that makes you angry? Are you angry at yourself?
  • Shawn
    You weren't angry? It took you 14 minuets to respond to a post that required no response. You were plenty angry. So, again, do you think that expressing anger is indicative of low EQ?counterpunch

Maybe I am angry. I more wallowsome as of recent.

I just started a better thread:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/11023/do-emotions-contain-their-own-set-of-logic
  • Valentinus

Well, I have been in an lot of situations where people were relying upon their EQ to trump the group running on their IQ.
    Both skills need preparation and experience to become a part of what is happening. I am not sure if balance between these sorts of things was more natural in the past.
    I always counted it as something we continue to fail at.
  • SpaceDweller
    Do you mean in social situations, you're nervous. Or just nervous generally?

And what about that makes you angry? Are you angry at yourself?
    counterpunch

Almost always In social interactions and almost always toward another person.
    The reason for getting angry when the other person is:
    1. lazy
    2. not thinking logically
    3. not taking care of priorities
    4. not giving practical or better suggestions
    5. lack of interest in finishing the job

These are the things that make me really angry.
    Btw. I consider my self emotionally not intelligent because I don't know how to handle these things.

Any suggestions?
  • Shawn
    I always counted it as something we continue to fail at.Valentinus

How so? You mean a poor EQ rather than a IQ?
  • counterpunch
    Not really. I think impulsiveness is though...Shawn

Okay then. I have enough to form a hypothesis. Given that your OP is not based in research, but is your own opinion, and taking into account your responses, I think you define emotional intelligence in a positive sense as not having emotions at all - and I get the impression you consider any expression of emotion a loss of control, and a vulnerability. Assuming so, your question is actually about yourself:

I mean, when you start reading online responses like, LOL, ROFL, or OMG, then is that indicative of a low EQ?Shawn

What you're saying here, is why would someone tell me they're laughing, or astonished, as communicating emotion signals weakness? You are fearful of evoking emotion in others - as indicated by three self qualifications in the OP:

It might sound presumptuousShawn

I hesitate to say this;Shawn

before I start blabberingShawn

And would injure yourself, lest others do so, and cause you to feel. I may be overstating the case. Take from this what you will, but I'm not at all sure wearing so much emotional armour is psychologically healthy.
  • Valentinus
    I meant a good EQ and a good IQ struggle with each other sometimes.
    Not mutually exclusive categories.
  • Shawn

Well, you must have researched me. But, I kind of developed new emotions. I used to live with severe depression, and would hardly feel much of any emotions apart from some happy states of mind and a lot of anxiety.

So, no, I'm not naked. :monkey:
  • SpaceDweller
    But, I kind of developed new emotions. I used to live with severe depression, and would hardly feel much of any emotions apart from some happy states of mind and a lot of anxiety.Shawn

Developing new emotions because of mental issues is an indicator of good IQ but can potentionaly lead to new problems hard to get rid of later, like instead of expressing or sharing personal issues, pushing them or expressing trough emotions.

Medicinal herbs like Lavender or mixtures of herbs can help more than anything else.
  • counterpunch
    Well, you must have researched me.Shawn

I imagine you've been advised to adopt a sleep routine, eat healthily, exercise and drink water to combat the depression. Hey, I bet you didn't think this was how your thread was going to go? Are you pleased it took this turn?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.