• Shawn
    I've been in the US since 2008 and have been witnessing some extraordinary efforts by grassroots politicians from the State level to legalize and decriminalize drugs in the US.

Please see this map for a view on the efforts to legalize marijuana:
    https://disa.com/map-of-marijuana-legality-by-state

I've never seen such a spread for the legalization circa, 2014 a rapid increasing interest in decriminalization and legalization bills for taxing and making a profit from the booming industry of marijuana use.

There's some truth to this; but, sadly mostly monetary and a me-too phenomenon as far as I can tell. Methamphetamine, LSD, heroin, and all hard drugs have been decriminalized in Oregon.

California is making it legal to have psychedelic drugs perhaps sometime soon.

It's astonishing to see this really happening, and I'm wondering what's driving it?
  • DingoJones
    Because people are discovering that most of what they’ve told about drugs and drug addiction is a bunch of bullshit.
  • James Riley
    I'm no expert, but I hear Portugal has had phenomenally positive results.
  • dimosthenis9
    About drugs I would like to add also a question here. if mind effects of drugs like lsd, cannabis and others. I mean in the way they interfere with minds and how they make them work can at any case been considered of "indication" of minds abilities that people aren't yet aware of? I mean since drugs make your mind work in such strange way (I don't take side if that bad or good) doesn't that shows that mind is in fact capable of working In a such sensefull way but maybe cause social mind programming that people are getting from their baby bed make humans use mind work in a certain typical way as it is now? Drugs make it work in such way cause mind CAN work like that indeed or else it wouldn't be possible.
  • Deleted User
    It's astonishing to see this really happening, and I'm wondering what's driving it?Shawn

It's easier to regulate if it's legal
  • Ciceronianus
    It's astonishing to see this really happening, and I'm wondering what's driving it?Shawn

The growing need to lessen the intensity of our desire for violence due to rampant boorishness.
  • thewonder

The sheer number of plights that have been created because of the so-called "War on Drugs" ought to be evidence enough of that the full decriminalization and legalization of all narcotics is just simply requisite. The excessive criminalization of drugs has done nothing to curb their use and has only resulted in excessive violence and forms of criminal punishment. Though I personally have a number of qualms with the laissez faire attitude towards drug use that some drug users adopt, only when substances become decriminalized and legalized can it be made so that they are used responsibly. The Mexican government hasn't decided to put forth a plan to decriminalize all narcotics because of that they, like I, am so inclined to believe that a person has a right to do with their own mind and body what they please; they have done so because they have no other means to prevent the extraordinary excess of drug violence there. Regardless as to what anyone thinks about whether or not drug use is either responsible or ethical, the War on Drugs has been a near and total catastrophe. It is time for the United States to own up to that as well.
  • Pinprick
    @Shawn

Because people are discovering that most of what they’ve told about drugs and drug addiction is a bunch of bullshit.DingoJones

Yeah, completely agree. It’s funny how once a drug epidemic started affecting mostly white suburban and rural kids they changed their tune. Yet with the crack epidemic all anyone wanted to do was increase policing, especially in predominantly black neighborhoods. I’m willing to remain open minded about the intent behind these efforts, maybe it’s coincidental, I don’t really know. But it certainly sends the message that we, as a country, care more about white people than other minorities.

That said, when it comes to drugs, or laws in general, what I look for first is the justification for prohibiting that act. If that appears reasonable, then I look at whether or not that justification is applied consistently. The justification for banning drugs seems to be because they’re harmful and addictive, at least that’s the primary justification as I see it. That’s true enough, but if all harmful and addictive things should be banned, then McDonald’s should have been shut down a long time ago. So I think the best solution is to try our best to allow each other the liberty to make our own decisions when those decisions only affect ourselves.
  • DingoJones
    Yeah, completely agree. It’s funny how once a drug epidemic started affecting mostly white suburban and rural kids they changed their tune. Yet with the crack epidemic all anyone wanted to do was increase policing, especially in predominantly black neighborhoods. I’m willing to remain open minded about the intent behind these efforts, maybe it’s coincidental, I don’t really know. But it certainly sends the message that we, as a country, care more about white people than other minorities.Pinprick

Or they care more about a people with money than those without. The crack epidemic was in poor black neighbourhoods, and suburbs are generally doing much better financially.

That said, when it comes to drugs, or laws in general, what I look for first is the justification for prohibiting that act. If that appears reasonable, then I look at whether or not that justification is applied consistently. The justification for banning drugs seems to be because they’re harmful and addictive, at least that’s the primary justification as I see it. That’s true enough, but if all harmful and addictive things should be banned, then McDonald’s should have been shut down a long time ago. So I think the best solution is to try our best to allow each other the liberty to make our own decisions when those decisions only affect ourselves.Pinprick

Well the research into drugs and drug addiction is showing that it’s less about the drug and more about the person. Trauma is what leads to addiction, not drugs. Everyone who has had surgery has been given opioids yet rarely do people come out of these surgeries craving more. This is because of the setting and reason for taking the drug...if your trying to fill a hole with drugs that’s when you’re going to face addiction.
    That’s one of the reasons legalizing drugs is a good thing, that frees us to learn more about them. That’s what we do with all drugs already except the ones arbitrarily deemed dangerous.
  • Pinprick
    Or they care more about a people with money than those without. The crack epidemic was in poor black neighbourhoods, and suburbs are generally doing much better financially.DingoJones

That’s definitely possible too.

Well the research into drugs and drug addiction is showing that it’s less about the drug and more about the person. Trauma is what leads to addiction, not drugs.DingoJones

Funny you should mention trauma. I just had a training that discussed the ACES study. I’d known about it for quite a while, but it’s pretty illuminating. But yeah, trauma definitely plays a role.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.